What's new

Austin, TX

Stopped by Enchante today and found a few scents I liked. Charles was a nice enough fella, but to be honest was pretty offputing by kind of getting in your face. Needless to say we didn't buy anything as after about 10 minutes my whole family was ready to get the heck out of there.

Edit: Had an extra hour today (Sat.) and ran over to Finley's. What a great vibe that place had and very helpful as well. Picked up a jar of AoS lemon cream and a T&H lime bath soap. Tried out all the T&H stuff there and settled on a future purchase of the West Indies Limes and the 1805 colognes. I will definitely wait to get my hair cut if I head back this way.

Last edited:
Couple of updates RE: Austin and Santa Maria Novella.

Gardens on 35 is officially closed awaiting re-opening with new owners. No idea what they might carry. Verbena also no longer stocks SMN products.

However, if you are interested in SMN, my wife just called me on her cell from the Domain. Atelier 1105 carries the full line of SMN frags and she just picked me up a tub of their shaving cream. :woot: So, at least there is one place to get their products now if you want to roll B&M style.

Update on Atelier 1105 at the domain: It seems my wife had actually purchased the wrong item from them. They are new to carrying SMN and don't have much product knowledge. I had to go back in to return the AS balm (which they told my wife was the shaving cream). The only shave cream they had in stock was the stuff in the can. :scared:

I had a chat with one of the employees (not the owner) who seemed like a manager of some type about the shaving cream in the tub that is to be used with a brush, etc. They special ordered the correct cream for me. I told them that they might be better off stocking the shaving cream in a tub vs. the "pressurized can of goo". She mentioned she would talk to the owner about it.

As far as the frags go, they actually do not carry the full line as my wife had told me. They have about 6-7 of their frags and they do carry the Melegrano aftershave splash which is fantastic. The tester bottles are not marked as to which frag is which, and with the very limited knowledge that the staff seems to have, be careful if you go in. If you have done any research (which I strongly advise you do before going in), it's probable you'll know more than they do about their products.

Their service seems to be nice, but I do hope they invest a little bit of time into learning about the products they carry (especially the SMN line). I also noticed while in there that they carry the Omega shaving cream in a tub as well. Hope that helps you guys in Austin while looking for SMN products. Aside from Atelier, I don't think anyone else is currently carrying it at all as far as I know.

Charles was a nice enough fella, but to be honest was pretty offputing by kind of getting in your face.

+1. Guy would not shut up or listen to a word I had to say. Rather, he talked over me when I tried to say anything. I got out as quick as I could (still nearly 15 minutes later). I'm going to go ahead and hold off on going back in there.

Finley's, on the other hand, as you mentioned, is a top notch establishment. It's a bit dangerous only living 3 miles down the road from it! :w00t:

+1. Guy would not shut up or listen to a word I had to say. Rather, he talked over me when I tried to say anything. I got out as quick as I could (still nearly 15 minutes later). I'm going to go ahead and hold off on going back in there.

Finley's, on the other hand, as you mentioned, is a top notch establishment. It's a bit dangerous only living 3 miles down the road from it! :w00t:

Finley's is the new place in the Village Shopping Center, right? Right by the Jos. Bank/Hangtown/Thai Spice?

I looked in the other day. Was put off by the fact that everyone working there appeared to be female and they charge $35 for a cut. Finley's Salon, maybe, but Barbershop?

And wow, tehtimmeh... you're pretty dang near where I live, it sounds like.

I looked in the other day. Was put off by the fact that everyone working there appeared to be female and they charge $35 for a cut. Finley's Salon, maybe, but Barbershop?

When I stopped on there wasn't a woman in sight, except at the register helping me.

When I stopped on there wasn't a woman in sight, except at the register helping me.

Hm! Well, maybe I'll give it a try sometime. I'm still pretty happy with Good Life Barbershop downtown, but Finley's is wayyyy more convenient to where I live.

Does anyone know of some shaving brick and mortar locations in Austin other than Enchante? I'm here for a week so speedy replies would be appreciated.

May need to keep in mind that many, if not all, stores at the Highland Mall have closed. I think the Dillards, the food court, and a few others may still operate, but that mall is pretty dead in general now.

So I noticed a few weeks ago that Barton Creek Square now has a "Art of Shaving" retailer upstairs (near the Lego Store). In addition to AOS branded items, they carry Muhle razors, Merkur blades, and Gillette 7'Oclock Super Platinum (Black) blades. The blades seemed overpriced to me but I guess they gotta pay rent!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot why I jumped on this thread in the first place! I was at Bee Cave Galleria today and I noticed a new store that was opening (my wife first spotted the barber pole). It is called The Boardroom Salon for Men and in addition to being an upscale men's salon, they carry straight razors, DE razors, etc. They technically don't open for another 3 days so I didn't get to see their complete stock. So far I saw and held Merkur Futur (both finishes), another Merkur (seemed like a long handle but wasn't very heavy). various Parker TTO razors, a few very nice brushes, and at least one tub of shaving cream that I need to go back and check out again. I think I noticed the Merkur Moustache/Eyebrow trimmer too. I think I only saw Merkur blades for sale.

Top Bottom