What's new

Asylum RX razor

If I sent back an Old Type would you notice the difference? Or a PAL Adjustable, yeah the PAL loos simular.
LOL, Yes I think I would, there is no mistaking the RX, it could double as a battering ram, but I know where you live, and would be forced to cut off your Tamale supply, by puttin you on Tucson Tamales Black List, LOL

LOL, Yes I think I would, there is no mistaking the RX, it could double as a battering ram, but I know where you live, and would be forced to cut off your Tamale supply, by puttin you on Tucson Tamales Black List, LOL
giphy (9).gif

Rx + Pro Super (7)
IMG_7217.JPG

I was tired last night, had three days growth of stubble and needed to look smart all day today at work (as the busy season at the Model Village has started now).
The Rx performed magnificently and I'm seriously starting to wonder if this might be the greatest razor ever made :001_smile

Rx + Pro Super (7)View attachment 780158
I was tired last night, had three days growth of stubble and needed to look smart all day today at work (as the busy season at the Model Village has started now).
The Rx performed magnificently and I'm seriously starting to wonder if this might be the greatest razor ever made :001_smile
Sooo beautiful!! Too much...
tumblr_mbp1k3omi41ra0fpao1_500.gif

ok, so this thread made me buy the Asylum Rx and now you guys have to bear my review :)

Brush: Wolf whiskers black wolf
Soap: Jabonman Rosa
Blade: Feather Pro

To compare i used my ATT SE1 on Sunday morning on 1.5 days growth and as usual it gave me a DFS in 3 passes( as mentioned before going for BBS is punishing for me).
So Asylum arrives on Monday and in the evening i use it with the same brush, soap and 1.5 days growth. The shave was definitely closer than SE1, they are not much similar in my opinion. I had irritation on my neck post the first pass itself and by the time i was done with 3 passes to get a DFS i had irritation all over my face. So probably the blade angle needs to be thought about here as it seems that Rx wont be very forgiving.

Any suggestions gentlemen?

RX is not at all similar to SE1 or General domed style heads. Think shavette or straight with a vertical handle when using an RX. Don't do 3 passes with a feather pro with this beast until you get the hang of it! Long smooth strokes, no pressure, and do not go over the same spot multiple times without relathering. I would also suggest using a Feather ProGuard or Kai ProTouch Guard blade to start with. Then work your way up through more aggressive A/C style blades from there.

I almost gave up on the RX, I thought it was just too aggressive for me. I set it aside for a while, then tried again using "guarded" blades, changed my technique, and have been slowly progressing towards more aggressive blades.

I'm glad I didn't give up on the RX. It may well be the best shaving device I have ever used.

I love Kai blades with my SE1 and Feathers have never really worked for me ever but since I had the blade open and being used with the General, I thought i will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion, I really think its a great razor, just have to use it a bit more carefully than my other SEs.

I love Kai blades with my SE1 and Feathers have never really worked for me ever but since I had the blade open and being used with the General, I thought i will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion, I really think its a great razor, just have to use it a bit more carefully than my other SEs.
+1 On what @snowman said. Never go over an area twice without relathering. Not at least until you get accustomed to it. I've had great shaves with Kai Captain & Titan Mild blades. Relaxed grip, and no pressure whatsoever. Give it a few shaves, it will come to you. I can't compare it to another SE, because I don't have one similar to it, just a OneBlade and it's not even on the same planet. I do 2 passes, no irritation and it's either DFS or BBS every time. Congrats on your acquisition.....:thumbup1:

+1 On what @snowman said. Never go over an area twice without relathering. Not at least until you get accustomed to it. I've had great shaves with Kai Captain & Titan Mild blades. Relaxed grip, and no pressure whatsoever. Give it a few shaves, it will come to you. I can't compare it to another SE, because I don't have one similar to it, just a OneBlade and it's not even on the same planet. I do 2 passes, no irritation and it's either DFS or BBS every time. Congrats on your acquisition.....:thumbup1:

Thank you, hoping this beautiful razor works for me :)

8th shave on the Pro Super last night before an 11 hour shift today working with the public.

The Rx has got to be the perfect razor for this since it's giving a very long lasting shave with a very smart regrowth. Even 18hrs after the shave I'm still smart enough for the 21st Century!
IMG_7226.JPG

The Pro Super blade is getting rougher now but still exceedingly sharp.

And, like straights, one of the keys for me to a good Rx shave is excellent prep.
It seems to like the soft soaps best for cushion+slickness and my best results are with Cella and Proraso.

Had the 2nd dance the RX today, and was even better than the 1st. It is well worth the wait gents, and price IMHO. Also even though I have never shaved with the other SE's mentioned, that use the feather style blades, but looking at the head profiles I would have to say this would be more maneuverable, in all instances, all based on the design aspects. As it is not a blocky head and fits seamlessly together with the tongue and grove so this head is very thin profile wise and is not much bigger than the blade itself.

Here was today's SOTD.

proxy.php
Nice, who's the maker of the brush handle ?

Ok had a second shave today morning with almost 2.5 days of growth. Used Kai blade this time and had a pretty good 3 pass DFS. Just somehow the angle seems a bit weird to me as its like too away from skin something like 70 degree to find the correct angle for Rx, am i right or thats doesnt sound right?

For the best angle for me with an RX I find that I hold the end of the handle closer to my skin than with any other razor I own.

Top Bottom