What's new

Astra Stainless Brazil

It's not my picture but one I found on Reddit. The user took the picture in Costa Rica.

It looks like the blade is made in Brazil. So it seems the Astra SS is being diverted from Russia to India and Brazil.

RDT_20240509_102503637913148135320358.png

I can’t read what the box says but does it say Made in Brazil?

It might just have different packaging and language for a certain market and still be made in India. In the past I’ve seen various blades marketed for different places with different packaging.

I just tried a new made in India Astra SP and SS on my last shave and was pleasantly surprised. I did half my face with each blade. Both performed very similar but I think I give th edge to the SS.

I was always a big fan of the Russian Astras but it’s been awhile since I used them. I’ll be testing out the Russian ones again here soon but I’m very happy the Indian ones seem like stellar blades - at least on the first shave.

I can’t read what the box says but does it say Made in Brazil?

It might just have different packaging and language for a certain market and still be made in India. In the past I’ve seen various blades marketed for different places with different packaging.

I just tried a new made in India Astra SP and SS on my last shave and was pleasantly surprised. I did half my face with each blade. Both performed very similar but I think I give th edge to the SS.

I was always a big fan of the Russian Astras but it’s been awhile since I used them. I’ll be testing out the Russian ones again here soon but I’m very happy the Indian ones seem like stellar blades - at least on the first shave.

It says on the packet they are made in Brazil.

That’s interesting. Hopefully they continue to produce both types. I’d love to try the Brazilian ones out. The India made ones seem great so far.

I’m surprised they didn’t change the name slightly to differentiate it from the India/Russian ones. Like the 7 O’Clock varieties all have their own name/features.

For it to say Made in Brazil on the packaging it should actually be so and therefore there must be a blade factory there.
I saw another topic in this forum of Gillette cartridge and on the packaging it says Made in Brazil.
Is there Gillette Brazil,do you know if they produce blades in South America as well?

It would not make sense to import blades from Russia or India and write made in Brazil.
It's very controversial.

The idea occurs to me is that they are the classic Astra blades made in Russia , currently in India, then they are shipped to the Gillette Brazil subsidiary and this one distributes them in the South American market with the Made in Brazil label.

Last edited:
For it to say Made in Brazil on the packaging it should actually be so and therefore there must be a blade factory there.
I saw another topic in this forum of Gillette cartridge and on the packaging it says Made in Brazil.
Is there Gillette Brazil,do you know if they produce blades in South America as well?

It would not make sense to import blades from Russia or India and write made in Brazil.
It's very controversial.

The idea occurs to me is that they are the classic Astra blades made in Russia , currently in India, then they are shipped to the Gillette Brazil subsidiary and this one distributes them in the South American market with the Made in Brazil label.

There's a Gillette DE factory in Brazil. They make Wilkinson Swords there.
1715706529115.png

So I just got back from Costa Rica, saw these blades at a few stores, paid no attention to them (I read in the past the Russian version was “meh”).

Then I saw this thread after a day of hiking in Monteverde

While in San Jose I stopped at a market, bought some, and they say a bunch of stuff about India on them so assume they are from there. Had to ask the cashier if she had them and they were under the counter.

So either the Brazils are old or new stock or Indian blades get shipped in to certain place.

Top Bottom