What's new

Are Smash Burgers Better Than Regular Burgers?

Are Smash Burgers Are Better Than Regular Burgers?

• Yes

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters
I'm an avid user of Costco Same-Day delivery for most staple items.
These are usually in the manifest...

full

I'm not seeing any difference between the science of the smash burgers
and the burgers sold by McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's.

Does it make a difference if they're smashed before or after
they hit the grill?
I don't see anything in the original article except the Maillard reaction
and I don't see how the fast food burgers would have any less of that
than burgers smashed on the grill.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I think it depends on the type of burger you want to end up with. If you are after a Texas classic...griddled bun, melted American cheese, chopped onion, sliced tomato, yellow mustard, steak seasoning and Southern Maid dill pickle chips (jalapeños optional) ...a smashburger can be perfect. IMO key to a great smashburger is a thickish center and pressed and crisped edges, not an entirely thin patty. For a pub style burger (and most other sorts) a thick enough patty for a pink center is my pick.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Never had a smash burger. But IMO the only burgers that suck are fast food burgers. Every non-fast food burger I’ve had was pretty damn good.

When I say fast food I mean the typical McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy’s type burgers. Just garbage from top to bottom. Some to go burgers are really good IMO like Five Guys. It’s hard to screw up a burger and they are in my top 5 favorite meals (burgers, not Five Guys). But the fast food digestible things are not what i call burgers.

Smash FTW.

I love smash burgers on the Blackstone with a heap of sliced onions, grilled to caramelized perfection. Salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard, dill pickle slices...heaven.

Quality ground beef only.

I use 1/4lb of ground round or sirloin per burger, pressed on the griddle with my cast iron "smasher", and grilled for a couple minutes per side on the highest heat.

The only time we don't have smash burgers is in the winter when the Blackstone is tucked away and the patio covered with snow.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
A few (heh) years ago we were living near the little burg of Brookings, South Dakota. Mrs. Hippie was teaching at the local university, I was working on my Master's degree and also running a distance-education network and helping out as a program producer for the university's cable operation. That's context; not the point. :)

Nick's downtown has been there since 1929. They serve burgers. That's pretty much it. I used to go down for lunch about once a week. Upon taking my accustomed place at the counter I would get bang a piece of waxed paper slapped in front of me and the counter lady would ask, "What's on 'em?" That was shorthand-speak for, "Hello! We're glad you came in today. We'd just love to get your order started, so please tell me what garnish you'd like and whether a cup of our coffee is desired. How about a sack of potato chips to go with?" As linguist John McWhorter says about some things, "You just gotta know."

The grill chef had a big tray of hamburger balls by the grill. The "grill" was a steel pan about two feet square with about inch-and-a-half sidewalls. In the pan was a bubbling mixture of suet and whatever had cooked out of the previous burgers. There was some suspicion that the grease in the pan was still the same grease from 1929. He'd line up some balls in the pan, and then smash them with his special heavy-duty spatula made by a local welding shop. Wham, wham, wham. Flip. Toss onto buns. The counter lady would garnish appropriately -- mustard, onions, tomato -- and I had lunch ready before the coffee cooled down to drinking temp.

Good? Well, carbonized fat and protein is always good. :) From this we learn that "good" is situational.

O.H.

Never had a smash burger. But IMO the only burgers that suck are fast food burgers. Every non-fast food burger I’ve had was pretty damn good.

When I say fast food I mean the typical McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy’s type burgers. Just garbage from top to bottom. Some to go burgers are really good IMO like Five Guys. It’s hard to screw up a burger and they are in my top 5 favorite meals (burgers, not Five Guys). But the fast food digestible things are not what i call burgers.
I completely agree with you about the fast food burgers.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
And now for something completely different. A favorite of @OkieStubble.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
And now for something completely different. A favorite of @OkieStubble.

These were the original 'smash' burgers', long before there was a name 'smash burger.' I have been to Sid's Diner in El Reno eating one of these more times then I can count. :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
There's a Canadian chain (out west, anyway) called Triple O's White Spot. The joke, "Get that senior citizen to a White Spot!" pretty much sums up the idea. :) Anyhow, they have a horrid concoction called "Smash Browns" which is made from those little mini potatoes, tossed whole onto the grill and then smashed like a culinary version of Whack-A-Mole.

Give me actual hashbrowns any day.

O.H.

Top Bottom