What's new

Anybody got the Yaqi Telstar?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thursday November 3rd 2022

Razor : Yaqi Telstar Zamak head with a modified Micromatic handle - Mfg 2022>, mid to upper mid range, really good finish with accurate blade feel on both sides. I find a steep angle approach(riding the bar) + short handle works with this razor very well. I can receive some stellar shaves with it.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP (5) sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. Top 5 tier blades for myself.
Soap : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore, nice vanilla with tobacco scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Goblin" 24mm Husky knot, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi Telstar with a Gillette 7oClock SP.
This razor is not as smooth as my Razorock Lupo.72 but with good technique it will give a decent shave IMO with good audio feedback.
SOTD November 3 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Paired it up with a Gillette Minora and it was a very nice and comfortable shave. A lot smoother than I remembered. I still like and prefer any of my Lupo’s over the Telstar as they offer a nicer skin feel with a notch or two better cutting ability. Not as refined as the Lupo’s but, it is a serviceable razor and can shave quite well.

59DA5E96-5764-4712-8151-191B357D436C.jpeg

So I got a ZAMAK Telstar head in the summer to try. The exposure is around 0.15. I first shaved neutral and got weepers. Then as @Ron R mentioned he used it at steep, I changed to steep and everything is excellent. A week or so ago received the stainless steel Telstar. I got coupons and the price was $29 with free shipping. Indeed the stainless steel head has a tad less exposure compared to the ZAMAK. Probably 0.10 - 0.11mm.

Regarding the comparison with the Lupos. I have 0.95 OC and 0.95 SB. The Telstar gives me a significantly closer shave than the Lupo 0.95 OC. Maybe same closeness or a tiny bit closer if compared to the 0.95 SB. After all it is a 1.15 gap.

I used to have the Lupo DC (0.95 SB and 0.72 OC), and the SB side was, to me, about as efficient as the SS Telstar, but the Telstar felt a fair bit smoother to me.

I know some people have thought that the Telstar is a copy of the Lupo, but that's rubbish. The only thing they might've copied is the way the head tapers toward the cutting edge of the blade in a cutout style, but other than that, the Telstar is pretty different, as you can also see in the photos Pineapple posted: Anybody got the Yaqi Telstar? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/anybody-got-the-yaqi-telstar.619192/post-11925829 .
Compared to a Lupo, the Telstar has
- a wider clamping area
- has less blade reveal (though I'm not sure about blade exposure)
- less blade flex (I can't really feel any in the Telstar and I could feel a little in the Lupo)
- lather channels are different
- top cap is significantly different in thickness but also the space inside it (because of the wider clamping area)
- the shape of the safety bar is very different
- the safety bar on the Telstar has a little angle guide built-in, the Lupo doesn't really have it.

I might've missed some.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I know some people have thought that the Telstar is a copy of the Lupo, but that's rubbish. The only thing they might've copied is the way the head tapers toward the cutting edge of the blade in a cutout style, but other than that, the Telstar is pretty different, as you can also see in the photos Pineapple posted

I agree, first reports were done by superficial looks analysis, there is a similarity in design.

The Telstar inspiration remains a mystery. It seems indeed to have a much wider base for clamping the blade. I also wonder how Vostok and Lupo are related to each other and the Telstar. Currently the Vostok takes the Yaqi Lupo clone spot.

Whatever they copied, it is an excellent design.

Had to chime in here and revive this thread rather than start a new one. I was always intrigued by the Yaqi Telstar and finally picked up a Zamak version during the Aliexpress sale Period. Read a few mixed reviews about it and I think it wasn't the quality of the Razor head but the Design Inspiration that's always been confusing. Kevy Shaves likened it to two Razors and most are split between the Razorock Lupo and the Muhle Rocca design. I own a Muhle 94 but have never owned or used a RR Lupo. Gave the Telstar a run today and was quite amazed with the Shave.

I used the DScosmetic Chrome Handle that came with my AX-SE Razor set, a Persona Comfort Coated blade for the shave. Lathered up with my Yaqi Timberwolf 26 mm Brush and the Yaqi Bettie Bets Shaving Soap. Got a well hydrated and slick lather to help with the shave and started a tad bit cautious, that soon changed and found myself almost in auto pilot. Realized I could have chucked in a Feather instead and will experiment with that at a future stage. The only annoying bit about the Razor head was the four corners of the base plate, while getting under the nose and next to the ear lobe, it pricked me to the extent that I thought i had cut myself. Ironically, I had no cuts, weepers or nicks at all. Two Pass BBS with just a very minor touch up on the lower neck area.

The Alum stung like a furious bee on a rampage and the Aqua Velva Aftershave burned for the first time ever. Used a tad bit of Nivea Post Shave Soothing Balm. Realised that this was a very close shave with no injuries whatsoever. Four hours later and my skin feels great, Baby smooth and refreshed. This was one of the finest shaves I've had and I loved it to bits.

Razor Head - Yaqi Telstar (Zinc Alloy)
Razor Handle - DScosmetic Stain Steel (Zinc Alloy). The name of the Handle is funny cause it is Chrome, very much like a Muhle Grande Handle.
Blade - Persona Double Edge (Comfort Coated)
Shaving Soap - Yaqi Bettie Bets (Made by Master Soap Creations SA)
Shaving Brush - Yaqi Timberwolf 26 MM
Result - Two Pass BBS wit a very minor Touch up.
Verdict - Totally Impressed with the Zinc Alloy Version and though the four corners of the base plate were a tad bit annoying, it wasn't that bad after all.

If I didn't have the humble collection of Razors I currently own, I would pick up the Stainless Steel version in a heartbeat. Does it shave like the Muhle 94? No but it is one smooth and efficient shaver. I wouldn't call it mild though. In the hands of a beginner, it just might nick. Like quoted earlier, Seasoned shavers might find it a bit tame but I believe that a Feather or a Kai in this would just make it an even more desirable Tool to own.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@megamac more aggressive than the Rocca puts it firmly in the "aggressive" camp on the Razorock scale, which rates many rather medium-aggressive razors already rather as aggressive.

The mystery remains, though. No direct copy of the looks of any razor I can think of right now and shaving wise it also seems to be not a copy of the initial suspects either. 🤔

@megamac more aggressive than the Rocca puts it firmly in the "aggressive" camp on the Razorock scale, which rates many rather medium-aggressive razors already rather as aggressive.

The mystery remains, though. No direct copy of the looks of any razor I can think of right now and shaving wise it also seems to be not a copy of the initial suspects either. 🤔
Actually i didn't find it more aggressive than the Rocca but then again, that's just me. Maybe the SS version is a tad bit more aggressive but I haven't used one as yet.

Iridian, you saying that Yaqi finally got an all out original creation ? To be fair, after the cool experience I had, maybe.

I couldn't pass on the $3 for the Telstar Zamak head sale last year. Probably the best $3 I've ever spent. To me it is mid-aggressive, efficient, and reasonably smooth. It's often a go-to for two days' growth.

I don't think so. I am just wondering that we still couldn't figure out a potential candidate they could have copied.
As you mentioned earlier, it remains a mystery. Just wish they would round the four corners of the base plate a bit. Maybe the Stainless Steel version is a tad bit different.

My take and a little rant....
I believe both yaqi and dscometic are now in the game taking into multiple existing ( or even vintage) designs. They are just creating their own fusion design.
We all can easily call out a bunch of others in north america to that do the same. This is a busniess practice we also see others also doing and have been doing for a long time . You can see this evetywhere, just look at new vehicle designs and so much more.

Now back to yaqi and dscometic, I am not sure and would be curoius how much effort they put into actual testin or there desgin process. Also you will see from both them ( Y & D) a pretty much consistency im thier blade expourse specs. Not a lot of devation there. Gaps, yes...Blade Angles, unknown and some heads (cnc) they don't even state the blade expouser spec.
Also others to, like RR ...they will say just postive and leave you guesting.
As a spec geek, I would like to know. Zamak sure, I get it. They ( most are) will be blank. But CNC items come on now all, give us the data.

Cheers
BFX

I don't think so. I am just wondering that we still couldn't figure out a potential candidate they could have copied.
I think the steel one is an original twist on the Tech design, though I think it's further gone than most Tech clones.
The reason why I think so is the blade support is a lot like on a Tech, but the support "pillars" are narrower - kind of like the original middle support for split in two. The safety bar has the a Tech-like shape, too, but it's smaller and has no grooves - perhaps a simplification for easier machining.
Then they increased blade gap, increased clamping area.
The one bit that I'm don't see a very good reason for is keeping the middle parts of the top cap and base plate so thick, other than maybe to save time and not have to machine off the excess material.

I also checked mine, and there is wiggle room and the blade exposure is uneven.
Easy to fix, though, without even touching the blade - before tightening the handle, I put the head with one of the safety bars against a flat, firm surface, e.g. a desk, and use my fingers to push the top cap up.

It shouldn't necessary, but I can get even exposure like this with practically no effort.

Top Bottom