What's new

Antique stores rock! Cast Steel!

I hit an antique store and found 3 razors in good shape: a Torrey in original box that appears to be NOS for 12.50; a Colonial Tool Steel that also looks almost new also in original box for 12.50. The third one had a really large blade and pressed horn scales. It was in a really ratty box and the scales were pretty rough, but the blade was in great shape and it "whispered" to me. So I offered $12 for it and took it home. That one has no makers name that I can read, but it is stamped "cast steel warranted" and I can see half a crown with the letter "R". The blade is hollow ground but I don't know how much. Being new to this, I did some work online to try and ID the blade and, from what I am seeing, I think this was a blade made around 1825-1830 in Sheffield (based on the crown R = George IV and the hollow grind not being around till 1825). I am on the road so will post pics when I get a chance but any thoughts are welcome in the mean time. I find it hard to believe a 180 year old blade could be in this good of shape and I am excited about getting it rescaled and shave rdy!

Last edited:
I'll get some pics up in a couple hours, on the road now and cant figure out how to get them in here directly from my iPhone.

I am having trouble uploading the pics... it just sits there. Am I doing something wrong or should I just try again later?

OK guys, I put the pics in the gallery in the member section under jss4fish. For some reason I can't upload the pics to this thread...don't know what I am doing wrong. If you have a minute to take a look I would appreciate any thoughts, especially on the Cast Steel one... I am thinking a restoration and new scales for that one. Any thoughts?

What professorchaos said. Click the paperclip (the attachment button) and then you drag pics from your gallery into the lower box (or upload them if you need more). Then I always click "insert in line" on mine (not sure if that is necessary). On a side note I went and looked at the pics in your gallery, looks like a good score you got. I really hope one day I travel to my antique store (found one of like three that was cool to go to) and find something awesome like this at an awesome price.

Bah it won't let me upload them to the thread. They are showing up in the B&B gallery under member section jss4fish. I am traveling so that might be the problem. I'll try again tomorrow night.

Great score:thumbup1: but antique stores are scary. The used to filled with old dusty stuff. Now they are filled with stuff I recognize. :scared:

Happy Independence Day!!

$photo.jpg$photo-2.jpg$photo-1.jpg

Finally I got the photos up! Let me know what you think and/or if you know anything about these.

Top Bottom