What's new

Another dumb newbie question - blade life...

So, how long is a piece of string, I know...

What I'm wondering though, is, as a rank beginner, how long would you keep a blade for? I don't really care too much about cost but as I try new blades, I don't want to form an opinion on one that is more due to pushing it past its useful life than anything else. I'm using a Merkur 34c and while I've tried a few blades, I've just done my third shave with a Feather. The first one was a little bit rough, the second was amazing (albeit with a pre-shave Proraso introduced) and today I've done the same routine as the 2nd shave, but it felt a little bit tuggy. Just a bit. A couple of weepers but no big deal.

Lots of variables at play, so I thought I'd stick to the combo of Merkur + Feather + Proraso green + TOBs (various) for a bit. I normally find I can't shave two consecutive days with a Mach3 due to irritation, so today was comparatively good albeit not as close as yesterday. Face was fantastic again, but the throat was middling. I'm looking for something I can use ideally every day.

So, back to my question - is it ridiculous to think 2 and done for a Feather? I've been told by a barber I have coarse hair and I now have more than a few silver foxes in the mix...thoughts?

Thanks!
Blade life will vary per your shaving technique (e.g number of passes, etc.), preferences, beard characteristics and blade geometry. On the last one Feather is one of the sharpest blades out there so, as others above have noted, has the narrowest blade tip angle that is more susceptible to blade chipping than others. As a result many have reported that the blade deteriorates quickly with many only realizing one or two shaves from a feather. Some get more so use your blades as long as they work for you.

I've found that my blades all deliver similar shave quality with the main difference in blades longevity with my Dorcos typically lasting the longest (8-12 shaves), Derby Extras the least (4-6 shaves) and Astra SP in between (6-8 shaves). I use them until they don't work and have found occasional outliers that don't make it through the first shave and others that have lasted for over 20 shaves. I found over time that a shift to slicker lather extended blade longevity a bit.

Note that since you have course hair and blades wear via microchipping that this could effect your blade longevity. Bottom line is this is an area where YMMV so just enjoy the journey as you figure out how each blade brand works for you.

There are no dumb questions, IMHO. Blade life depends on what blade your using, how course is beard, and other factors that are unique to individual user. One size shoe or, on't fit everyone perfectly, or correctly.

Time, and experience will be your teacher. I shave to remove beard, I do not chase BBS aka babies behind shave, so I tend to get more shaves per blade then person wanting perfect shave every shave.

I strop all my new blades with a inexpensive blade sharpener I got on ebay. Douglas Smyth has a video on making and using a de blade strop. I find the first shave is as good as the second shave on a De blade doing this. I get four shaves out of my astra blades
John, welcome to B&B. I see you joined us about a month ago.

@calgarychris there are a lot of mixed views on stropping modern DE blades (link to recent thread on this below). My sense is that todays stainless steel blades are so finely honed and enhanced with thin coatings that stropping could hurt blade performance. In fact most blades come with a warning not to wipe the edges for this reason so stropping on the Douglas Smyth denim strop doesn't sound ideal. Also since the recent MIT study determined that blades wear by microchipping it's unclear how stropping would remedy that.

John, have you tried your Astra blades with out stropping and noticed any difference in quality and blade longevity? Four shaves is on the lower end of blade longevity for most blade brands including Astra. Realize YMMV though my Astra SPs typically deliver 6-8 shaves without any stropping or cleaning beyond a good hot water rinse after each shave.

Hi Lane 101 I started stropping my de blades when I first got back into wet shaving. It seemed to help at the time as I was getting nicks and irrataion. I will try not stropping my next blade. I have had a lot more time wet shaving since I started stropping blades.

While I've settled on a few favorite blades (Nacets, Perma-Sharps and Astra SP's), I do use others as well and have several razors ranging from vintage Gillette twist-to-open style to 3-piece to Leaf SE razors.
I don't have the world's heaviest beard, although it grows fairly quickly and I shave virtually every day. For me - and this is only for me - I'm a "three shaves and you're out" when it comes to blades. I'm sure some could last much longer but I've tried going to four shaves a few times and have always been disappointed. Besides, blades are cheap. So after Shave #3, it goes into the recycling bin to be made into a soup can or something.

Well, I'm going to try stretching my feather out another day (3) tomorrow. We'll see. I think the last time it didn't work wonderfully. I tried corking this one just for fun, but didn't notice anything in particular. I'm getting reasonable shaves out of the feather but concentrating on technique and being in the moment more than getting BBS.

Thanks for the tips - probably not going to strop my blades - I'm more likely to mess them up than improve them, so I'll leave that one to the braver folks on here!

Feathers dull quickly. IMHO they’re bad blades in general. Too sharp. They exist only to provide a passable shave from their too mild razors. Why don’t they make more aggressive razors ? I don’t know.

You and every other DE shaver should bag the Feathers and try a nice Personna Lab Blue which works well on most faces. Or shave the Lord family like I do. It’s a mistake to shave with a ridiculously too sharp blade.

Feathers dull quickly. IMHO they’re bad blades in general. Too sharp. They exist only to provide a passable shave from their too mild razors. Why don’t they make more aggressive razors ? I don’t know.

You and every other DE shaver should bag the Feathers and try a nice Personna Lab Blue which works well on most faces. Or shave the Lord family like I do. It’s a mistake to shave with a ridiculously too sharp blade.
Just out of curiosity have you shaved with a Feather AS-D1 or D2 razor?

I assume that is the razor you are referring to.

Back when I started I would get 2-3 shaves out of a blade. Eventually I got tired of reusing blades and found my shaves were more comfortable if I simply used a blade for one shave and tossed it.

No matter the brand/type that is what I do with all blades and have for many years at this point.

Blades are cheap when purchased in bulk, basically the cheapest part of the hobby. There is no need to be a masochist or penny pincher and try to milk as many shaves out of a blade as possible.

Re: Feathers, nothing wrong with them IMHO but they are a not a beginner blade or for anyone with sloppy crap technique like I see all over YT and social media now. I personally only use them when fully awake after I've had a cup of coffee. Be aware that they are heavily counterfeited, so all bets are off if you got them from a third party seller on eBay/Amazon/AE/whatever. I won't name names but apparently one formerly reliable vendor was caught selling fakes a few years ago.

I am still relatively new to shaving with a DE safety razor, coming up to one year. I have wet shaved most of my life with cartridges. For most of the year I have been trialing different blades and would generally give them four days of two pass shaves.

Some blades made the four days easily some only just and others were stopped at day 2 or 3.

Try different blades and you may find many you like.

Feathers were initially an okay blade but not special for me, and agree seemed to fade quickly. I recently tried one in a different razor (Gillette Slim adjustable on setting 5, quite aggressive for me) and had one of the best shaves I have ever had. After nearly a year of shaving it is most likely a combination of better technique, better lather, and possibly just luck that that razor with that blade aligns to my natural shaving style.

Enjoy the journey and variety that is out there.

We have science to thank for the answer: the tip of the blade actually starts to chip from cutting the beard hair, albeit tiny chips.

There are two variables that immediately come to mind: different blades have different longevity (chip resistance?), and the great variety in the strength of different beard hair. Your coarse hair is going to do more damage than most of us, and it's also going to require a very sharp blade.
I generally get six (head) shaves out of an Astra SP, four out of a Dorco Prime. I don't use Feathers but someone gave me 100 of them once. I keep an old half-blade shavette loaded with a half Feather, out in the kitchen where I'll use it to slash bread loaves for baking. Works like a charm, and I can get up to ten loaves out of a Feather. Just changed it yesterday, as a matter of fact...

O.H.
T
Feather is a very sharp blade. It's also a blade with terrible longevity and no forgiveness for beginning shaver's inconsistent razor angle. But it's a fine blade and might be your best choice. I'd definitely try Wizamet and Personna Med Prep - both nearly as sharp with much better longevity. But if the Feather is the best fit for your beard I suspect you'll be happy to pay a little more to use them.

I get two good shaves from a Feather - some shavers only get one. I get at least 4 shaves (12 passes) from many other blades.

No Feathers have a surprisingly short life span for most. There are exceptions like 400+ shaves, but sharp on 1, sharper on 2 and done by 3 is what I usually read about them. I get a max of 3-5 out of a Feather.

But irrespective of that, I would keep using what you now have until your technique is such that you are getting consistent results. From there on you can venture out.

Enjoy!

Guido
I get one maybe 2 shaves out of Feather, but I still love them. Try Wilkinson Sword Germain version. They are about as sharp as Feather out of the box, then they get sharper for shave 2 and maybe 3, then start to dull down. Great blades and inexpensive. Those are my two favs so far.

Thanks - I've been using the Feathers for two rounds and tossing them. I've had a play with Astra green but didn't like them. The Wilkinson I tried was probably my second favourite but I've gotten a few new ones that in the hopper to give a go when I get a chance...

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Just a tip for those new to DE shaving. If you try a particular blade and don't like them, just put them aside and don't throw them away. Go back and revisit them in a few months. As your technique improves you might find your opinion of that blade changes.

Also on a not unrelated note, as your technique improves and you start finding your preferences, your blade life expectations might change. Blades you thought were good for two shaves might be good for four or more, and blades you used for half a dozen shaves, you might realise they are only good for two.

Personally with DE blades I use them until they are uncomfortable, be that five shaves, fifty or halfway through the first pass. Unlike straights, you can't just take it back to the stones to get it right.

Blade life will vary per your shaving technique (e.g number of passes, etc.), preferences, beard characteristics and blade geometry. On the last one Feather is one of the sharpest blades out there so, as others above have noted, has the narrowest blade tip angle that is more susceptible to blade chipping than others. As a result many have reported that the blade deteriorates quickly with many only realizing one or two shaves from a feather. Some get more so use your blades as long as they work for you.

I've found that my blades all deliver similar shave quality with the main difference in blades longevity with my Dorcos typically lasting the longest (8-12 shaves), Derby Extras the least (4-6 shaves) and Astra SP in between (6-8 shaves). I use them until they don't work and have found occasional outliers that don't make it through the first shave and others that have lasted for over 20 shaves. I found over time that a shift to slicker lather extended blade longevity a bit.

Note that since you have course hair and blades wear via microchipping that this could effect your blade longevity. Bottom line is this is an area where YMMV so just enjoy the journey as you figure out how each blade brand works for you.

Hmmm. Makes sense about feather blades being narrow and more prone to chipping. Feather blades last 3-4 shaves for me. Most other blades last at least double that for me.

My personal favorites are Polsilver and Kai. Can easily get a dozen or more shaves. One time I did 30 shaves with a Kai in my trusty go-to razor, Ikon Tech.

Blade longevity is highly subjective and different from person to person and blade. I have wet shaved for just over a year and during the first few months I only used blades for a few shaves, but as my technique got better I was able to get more shaves out of all the blades that I had. Now I easily get a full week out of each blade. That is usually about 6 3-pass shaves. I toss the blades out of convenience rather than the blade giving up. I have great shaves until I toss the blade and I know I could go more shaves on them and I am contemplating trying that out, but we will see.

Also, during my year I found exactly what some other posters experienced. A blade that you rejected in your early shaving journey might be your blade when you try it when you have more shaves under your belt. I have actually found and maybe I am tolerant or stupid, that I can use all my blades that I have tested for a full week's worth of shaves anymore and get good shaves out of them. It is all so individual and we have to work out what work for us. I cannot tell you how long a blade will last for you, because it will be different nor can I really tell you which blade that works the best. Now there are common blades that do well for a lot of people, but there is no guarantee of that.

My advise is this. Do what work for you now. Stick with that for a while. Slow down. Once you have a handful of months under your belt start experimenting with different blades etc etc, but only change one thing at a time. You will not be able to tell what change if you change too many variables at once.

Top Bottom