What's new

Annual NHL Playoff Thread

Heh, unfortunately that won't be happening. I think Hossa is a Hawk for the next +/- 13 years or so.

The truth of the matter is that the reason these 10+ year deals are being made (think Franzen of DET, Backstrom recently with the Caps) is because the organizations know that they can lessen the cap hit for great "in-the-now" players...if they front-load the deal and just pay out the contract to the player near the end of it if they're not producing. Franzen and Hossa will be making less than $1M/year in the last couple years of their contracts.

This is why they'd be happy to take a payout with 2-3 years left on the contract and go on to another team that might pay them better for the short-term.

TSN's Bob McKenzie called the 6-5 final score before the game :blink:

What a genius

I believe he also admitted that he called the score for the exact opposite reasons in which they happened. Either way, neither team really played it like a playoff game. As a Hawks fan, I will say that they got back into playoff form in the third period for a decent stretch of time by suffocating the Flyers before they could get into the offensive zone. I'm just thrilled about the results and the fact that Hossa was a man possessed last evening.

That was a really exciting game to watch. No lead was kept for over 5 minutes I think? I hope the rest of the series is as exciting.

I believe he also admitted that he called the score for the exact opposite reasons in which they happened. Either way, neither team really played it like a playoff game. As a Hawks fan, I will say that they got back into playoff form in the third period for a decent stretch of time by suffocating the Flyers before they could get into the offensive zone. I'm just thrilled about the results and the fact that Hossa was a man possessed last evening.
Correct

Blackhawks are a grinder team and will wear out the flyers. Once the nervousness calms down the goaltending will be great. Blackhawks in 6. Go Chi Town.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Wow, second intermission on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) , the Rat Commissar Bettman gets into it with Ron MacLean over the NHL strategy to place & keep teams in stupid sun belt places, while ignoring Canadian cities .. the former showed his true self. Hopefully it goes on YouTube.

Go Orange

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have to whisper this so that none of my friends from back home come and smack me about the head and shoulders.

Go Hawks!

This may be slightly off topic, but you may be slightly suprised to hear a Habs fan saying ...

Go Celtics!!

I was really hoping to see Kevin Dineen land an NHL coaching job this year. I think those were his best chances. Here's hoping something better comes up.

Awesome series! Quite a few sportswriters and fans were right in their predictions...a ton of people called 'Hawks in 6. I'm a western conference guy and always root for them, even though I was rooting for Detroit's sworn enemy!

I was surprised and kind of dismayed that the Philly fans were booing the Cup being presented. To me, the Cup is the one thing that you should have respect for as a hockey fan. I know they were disappointed that the Flyers didn't extend the series, but I thought they could've shown more class. Philly had a great run and story this year though.

Any preliminary predictions on personnel moves for CHI and PHI? I think Hossa is playing somewhere else next year.

Any preliminary predictions on personnel moves for CHI and PHI? I think Hossa is playing somewhere else next year.

I think the Hossa prediction is a good one. I'm not a fan of his he is disloyal to any team and only seems to think of team in terms of "how will this team benefit me?" That is poor character. He is the only reason I was against the Hawks winning the cup.

Top Bottom