What's new

Am I missing something?

Amazon.es - https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01N7P3UI0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details this is the one I believe. I've ordered the black derby blades now, thanks!
It’s definitely Baili BD176, just rebranded.

It’s a very mild shaver. The good thing is, it’s probably one of the easiest modern razors for an inexperienced shaver to start on. It’s mild, not very angle-sensitive, pretty forgiving. Your friend made a good suggestion.

On the other hand, getting a super clean shave with it may require a bit of extra work. But it’s absolutely doable.

You received a lot of great advice here and I am not going to regurgitate it in details. Avoiding any pressure is the main thing.

Just to add a couple points:

- Your razor performs the best when coupled with sharp blades. I don’t find Derby Premiums particularly sharp, but here’s the thing - blades are the most YMMV thing in wet shaving. I strongly suggest getting a sample pack and trying a few popular well regarded blades like Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet, Perma-sharp, Astra SP, and yes Feathers. Just think that your goal is to move the razor across your face without any pressure, not to cut hair. The blade will do its job without any pressure. As to Feathers - they have a fearsome reputation only because they are likely the sharpest blade on the market, or close to that - but they are actually very smooth and easy to use, even for a novice. When I only started wet shaving I was afraid to use them at first, but they actually proved to be more forgiving than some other brands. My only problem with them is that they lose sharpness rather quickly, which is a shame given the price.

- Try Arko stick. It’s cheap and yet it provides an excellent lather. I rate it higher than Proraso.

- Do you use Witch Hazel after shaving? If not you should. It really helps with calming down the skin. Another product that was a life saver when I was starting is Eucerin, but I don’t know if it’s available in your location.

Welcome to the rabbit hole of wet shaving. Where what works for me probably doesn’t work for you. So please take everything with a grain of salt. I have a thick beard that grows in every single direction. So for me there is no with the grain across the grain or against the grain. It’s all that at the same time. The trick for me is technique patience and doing it for 40 plus years. Hang in there you will find out what works best for you.

Welcome to the club! Lots of good advice above. As said, learning to master a DE safety razor takes time.

My advice would be to stick to one razor, blade, brush and soap for now. Otherwise you'll introduce variables that will only legthen the learing phase.

Your razor is fine as long as it holds the blade in position when tightened. I don't really believe in the concept of mild or aggressive razors anymore. Experience with many different razors over the years taught me any difference is negligible.

Welcome to the forum. Please allow me to add a few thoughts that I have picked up from B&B.

Take your time, go slowly at first and see how long it takes to complete your shave - then add 5 or more minutes to the time. This thought will help you from hurrying, especially if you use a different blade. As you progress and learn the technique, you can take less time.

Relax and enjoy the learning process.

Top Bottom