What's new

amateur restoration of a french gillette federal case

I got this french import federal case with a french import goodwill razor a week ago.
It was rusted and incredibly filthy.
I tried with several ways with increasing level of possible damage to get the liner somewhat usable but it just wasn't possible and since the "importe de amerique" print had come off already i decided to try and replace it with some blue suede i had laying around.
I know it isn't the best looking color combo but it's what i had and ordering something online would have costed as much as i paid for the whole set if i even managed to find the right stuff as a lot of "teddy","plush" and other stuff i don't think really are velvet are sold as such...

I completely forgot to take pics of before i started.
It's not done yet, i'm still waiting for a spring clip and some satin to remake the trim between the tray and the box.
The covering of the box itself was really stained with rust and other things and a lot of white deposits, i could not get it all off but managed to minimize it by rubbing it with sewing machine oil and make it shiny again and make the color come out and then i coated it with acrylic, no idea if this is the proper way to do it but it seemed a good idea at the time :p
At least it will help the loose bits stay down and keep the dirt from coming out.
There was so much dust and dirt in this thing, even after a couple hours of soaking, 3 rounds in the ultrasonic and vigorous scrubbing with a toothbrush it still looked like i petted my cat after a dust bath on my desk...
0gX0aA1.jpg
e4AZDM2.jpg
NorxbeW.jpg
Mj3Pd8p.jpg
atcVkjx.jpg
o7l6n1D.jpg

I got this french import federal case with a french import goodwill razor a week ago.
It was rusted and incredibly filthy.
I tried with several ways with increasing level of possible damage to get the liner somewhat usable but it just wasn't possible and since the "importe de amerique" print had come off already i decided to try and replace it with some blue suede i had laying around.
I know it isn't the best looking color combo but it's what i had and ordering something online would have costed as much as i paid for the whole set if i even managed to find the right stuff as a lot of "teddy","plush" and other stuff i don't think really are velvet are sold as such...

I completely forgot to take pics of before i started.
It's not done yet, i'm still waiting for a spring clip and some satin to remake the trim between the tray and the box.
The covering of the box itself was really stained with rust and other things and a lot of white deposits, i could not get it all off but managed to minimize it by rubbing it with sewing machine oil and make it shiny again and make the color come out and then i coated it with acrylic, no idea if this is the proper way to do it but it seemed a good idea at the time :p
At least it will help the loose bits stay down and keep the dirt from coming out.
There was so much dust and dirt in this thing, even after a couple hours of soaking, 3 rounds in the ultrasonic and vigorous scrubbing with a toothbrush it still looked like i petted my cat after a dust bath on my desk...View attachment 1668732View attachment 1668733View attachment 1668735View attachment 1668736View attachment 1668737View attachment 1668738
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed looking at your craftsmanship. You also are preserving a bit of history.

That turned out great!
Now you just have to recreate the logo on your pc, order a brass die made in china or something, learn hot foil stamping and then stamp it on there and hope it sticks XD

Motivated by my previous success i decided to tackle the other, much worse, dirty case i have.
This one is from the british nr44, maybe the thick handle that came with it but it had the wrong cap so who knows...

This thing has rusted a lot but there's still enough metal left to covered it with something and make it look nice again.
I don't have enough velvet for the whole interior and the exterior has to be done too so i'm going to do it in veg tan leather, natural for the inside and maybe a finished leather for the exterior, if i can make it follow all the bends, which is a lot harder with finished leather.

There wasn't enough left of the tray lining to make a pattern but by wet molding the leather around it i don't really need a pattern and leather can be trimmed neatly very easily, the edges don't need to be finished/bound like fabric.

I have just worked on the tray so far.
The leather has to dry in shape now and then i can glue it and trim it tomorrow.

One nice thing about these cases is that you can reuse the logo :D

X9hFH3j.jpg
KVCBst9.jpg
JBUhEBP.jpg
pXdulFS.jpg
Slfkq3t.jpg
urEuqa5.jpg
wT5D8ph.jpg
jmJ7Itc.jpg
3J1Ss0E.jpg

Glued and trimmed the leather and burnished the edges.
I'm really bad at not leaving marks when wet forming leather so i just went for a more "patina" look.
For those who don't know, when you wet unfinished vegetable tanned leather it gets soft and it's very easy to leave tiny dents and marks and those marks will darken a lot when it dries and the only way to remove them is to make everything else just as dark which is very hard to do consistently.
sGjJXVO.jpg
qga39Ca.jpg

about 2 hours of sanding later...
Underneath the covering the case was almost completely encrusted with rust, there was maybe a spot the size of a fingerprint were i could still see bare metal.

To get the covering and rust off i first tried soaking it in vinegar and salt but not much happened so i put it on the stove and boiled the crap out of it and that dealt with the hide glue but not the rust.
T7Wt99m.jpg
ynHz1fs.jpg

The bottom is done now :D
i covered it in goat nappa.
I had plans on using more natural veg tan and then 3d printing a Gillette logo and embossing it on the leather on the lid but tolerances are really tight and i was not confident i would be able to do a proper job with veg tan and on the bright side, the goat leather looks more like the original covering and the contrast is nice imho.

It's my first time stretching leather around something and i'm quite happy with the result!
ANC7mRP.jpg
F0iVgs0.jpg
HXUb7lc.jpg
fEx55hw.jpg
dhDdjrN.jpg
wIRqQmC.jpg
RgazUoi.jpg

First off, stunning work!

Try to find cleaning vinegar to remove the rust. Regular table vinegar is about 5% acid, pickling vinegar is about 7%, and cleaning vinegar is 10-11%. It’s like $3 for 2.5 litres.
yeah i used cleaning vinegar.
It did etch the bottom of some deep pitting here and there but it wasn't able to put a dent in the crust itself.

Where do you find your leathers?
Your work is incredible. As with very good artisans you make it look deceptively easy.
How. UChicago will the leather stretch? 1/4”? More?
i get most of my leather from beltsproduction.com, i got the goat from decocuir.com.
Are you referring to the goat leather? you mean if it will stretch 1/4th of it's length ?
this specific chrome tanned goat nappa, which is intended for gloves and such, stretches like 50% in one direction, but maybe 15% perpendicular to that, kinda like woven fabric.
It doesn't flex back though so you don't want to pre stretch it if you want to go around tight corners like the inside of a lid.

Top Bottom