What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Just curious what the benefits of a Single Edge Slant razor would be? I thought one of the big reasons for a slant is the extra blade strength that comes with the design. A SE uses a much thicker blade already. Would there be more of an advantage to making it a slant?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
The head design also holds the blade at an angle different from the original and the earlier slants mostly did that. The severe torqueing of the blade to give it added strength was a later things (but still a long time ago).

The head design also holds the blade at an angle different from the original and the earlier slants mostly did that. The severe torqueing of the blade to give it added strength was a later things (but still a long time ago).
So you feel there is value in that for SE razors? It would be interesting, that's for sure.

Yes, That would be true. If I am not careful I will have to many things going at once. However, it is very helpful to read what ideas are out there.
Slant SE would be very interesting. Not sure how it could be done with a very skinny and thick blade. However, you were the first with a production OC baseplate on your SE line and so a slant I am believing you would be the first ever since I have not seen a 3D rendering or prototype of one.

I am focused on our "Gem" style razor at the moment. Time will tell how that works out.
One consideration about a slant SE would be loading the blade (very stiff blade) on a slanted cap. Just something I would have to think about.
Also exploring a "Calypso" in stainless that would be highly polished or perhaps another model in high polished copper. Just some ideas that are on the drawing board. Bit of an update.

I am focused on our "Gem" style razor at the moment. Time will tell how that works out.
One consideration about a slant SE would be loading the blade (very stiff blade) on a slanted cap. Just something I would have to think about.
Also exploring a "Calypso" in stainless that would be highly polished or perhaps another model in high polished copper. Just some ideas that are on the drawing board. Bit of an update.

Stan, slow down or your head going to explode! We want you to be around for a long time.

You guys are going to slow down Stan's development of a Gem blade razor! Let him go nuts--what kind of world are we in where, for 50 or 60 years, we've had no new Gem blade dedicated razor choices? If he cracks this code, international awards will flow for Stan...

Just about to pull the trigger on a 7 piece set with an Atlas and Colossus, M1, R1, H1. Added the slant set and the ink well razor stand too. I cannot wait to try these beauties out. This order will hurt my wallet for a week or two but I'm thinking it will be worth it.

Just about to pull the trigger on a 7 piece set with an Atlas and Colossus, M1, R1, H1. Added the slant set and the ink well razor stand too. I cannot wait to try these beauties out. This order will hurt my wallet for a week or two but I'm thinking it will be worth it.

Yikes! Once you decide which base plate you prefer at least you can get some of the cost back by selling the unwanted/unsuitable ones. I'm happy with the M1 Atlas combo. I too got the cool inkwell stand.

Yikes! Once you decide which base plate you prefer at least you can get some of the cost back by selling the unwanted/unsuitable ones. I'm happy with the M1 Atlas combo. I too got the cool inkwell stand.

The idea is to keep them all and have a wide variety of choices for different applications. I like the thought of using less aggressive base plates as I move through my passes (something I read on this wonderful forum) and I enjoy a nice slant occasionally. If the M1 doesn't get much use I'll put it aside until my offspring start growing facial hair. If this system is as good as I'm expecting, most of my razors will be sold. My AS-D1 is already halfway out the door (never had a good shave with it) so that will help with this hefty bill.

I did what you are planning on doing lastcoyote. It has been a great investment. I love my razors. And just recently picked up their SE1 & SE2. I am very much liking the SE too. Though it is an entirely different shaving experience and is taking quite a bit of time for me to figure out.

You will love these razors. Get them and you will never look back.

I did what you are planning on doing lastcoyote. It has been a great investment. I love my razors. And just recently picked up their SE1 & SE2. I am very much liking the SE too. Though it is an entirely different shaving experience and is taking quite a bit of time for me to figure out.

You will love these razors. Get them and you will never look back.

Think this was meant for @Mullen88

The idea is to keep them all and have a wide variety of choices for different applications. I like the thought of using less aggressive base plates as I move through my passes (something I read on this wonderful forum) and I enjoy a nice slant occasionally. If the M1 doesn't get much use I'll put it aside until my offspring start growing facial hair. If this system is as good as I'm expecting, most of my razors will be sold. My AS-D1 is already halfway out the door (never had a good shave with it) so that will help with this hefty bill.

We're all waiting to hear your impressions when it arrives. In my case once I got my ATT (Jan 2015) I've lost all interest in any other razors. Other than experimenting with the various base plates and open vs solid bar, I've used the ATT exclusively for over two years.

It's a fantastic razor in every way. I alternate between the Atlas and Kronos handles and H1 vs H2 base plates. I kept the R1 and R2 plates but havent used them for a long time as I prefer the H.

Top Bottom