Vintage April 2024 7/30
Shave Date 4/6/2024
DE:
1954 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed
Blade: GSB (1)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: Razor Rock xXx
Brush: Omega 10049 Boar
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, RR xXx A/S.
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

GSB is up next to see just how good the KCG is, long and short, GSB comes out on top. Both were very comfortable and on the first shave did a great job, the difference is the alum block feedback, or lack thereof with the GSB and a bit of sting with the KCG. The GSB delivered an all-time great shave today, sea lions off the dock and the faintest bit of fur left on the neck with zero irritation before or after the shave, all this with 48 hours of growth vs the first shave on the KCG was 24 hours of growth. Of note, my neck was a tad irritated on the last two shaves with the KCG as I attempted to duplicate the sea lion fur reduction of the first shaves with the KCG, and the alum block let me know I was reaching the edge of my comfort limits, no such problem for the GSB today, smooth sailing all the way, even with 48 hours of beard growth to mow down. The Flare Tip Super Speed did a great job today and will be a welcomed addition to the razor rotation. The Scent of the xXx is a good one, along the lines of an Aventus Creed dup, although I don't think that was their intended target. It smells very similar to the RR Mudder Focker, which is my usual Monday soap, but I did not feel like tempting fate, the last two Mondays with the RR Mudder Focker lived up to the soap's name. It was a physical weekend as I worked out in the yard cleaning the flower beds with my bride, I'm too old for this chit, but I know now why I prefer motorcycles on the back porch to flowers.

Another vintage Gillette was delivered today, I'll post some pics maybe tonight or in the morning. I have one coming from a land far far away, it just left Queens and headed south to Texas. That one will be the crown jewel so far of my Vintage razors, mind you I did not get any Aristocrats, yet. Sticking with the Super Speed, and Tech and their derivatives. None of this latest haul is adjustable.

‘Tis all for today, I wish all a blessed Monday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2872.jpeg

Last edited:
300+ Shaves in 2024 93 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 8/30
Shave Date 4/9/2024
DE:
1940's Fat Handle Tech
Blade: GSB (2)
Soap: PAA Vloid
Brush: Zenith 507-IF Italian Flag Boar
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, PAA Vloid A/S.
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

A fantastic shave this morning with the Vintage Fat Handle Tech and the GSB on shave #2. I enjoyed a very comfortable smooth shave this morning with some give and take. The give was a tad bit more sea lion fur on the left side of the neck. I did no chasing of BBS on that side today, the take is on the right jawline. I have a 1/4 inch strip of what can only be described as sea lion fur running parallel to the jawline on the right. It grows in a slightly different direction (NWW vs W) than the rest of the hairs on the neck. I have never been able to get this shaved closely, till today. I found the angle and the GSB and Tech were up to the task of mowing it down the best it has ever been shaved. It is gone now, with nary a hint of stubble. Sea Lions blubbering again in the bay, and you guessed, those prankster Dolphins are splashing water in the faces of the sea lions as they sulk, half blad, in the bay water. Vloid is a dup of Floid, which is Italian, therefore the Italian Flag Zenith got the call. I am not tempted by brushes with the assortment of brushes I currently own. All, save for the Ds Cosmetic scratchy Mardi Gras swirled Badger, are soft and supple and excellent at face lathering, which is my current preferred method of lathering. The last time I used Vloid, my lovely drowsy bride did not give it a glowing review, she said she liked it but others were better. Not the case today, Vloid received an unhindered approval this morning from my drowsy bride. I wonder if I can sneak in some Bay Rum on her and get the approval. Sounds like a plan for tomorrow.

The last two Vintage Tech are coming from overseas, one just left Dallas, I wonder if it got a chance to see the eclipse as Dallas was on the line of total darkness. The other is still lingering in Greece, I hear tell the Greeks move to the beat of their own drum. The one that left Dallas should be here by Friday, if not sooner.

I've been abusing the snooze button lately and not getting up as early as I used to, which puts me behind on shaving, and my morning meditations/journaling. A Late night last night with the NCAA men's championship game had something to do with it. Prudue's Zach Edey put on a show, but it was a one-man show and UConn came out on top. I found out today that not only is the Head Coach from a famous family, he is also the Brother of Bobby Hurley of Duke fame, and his father Bob Hurley Sr has 26 state championships in 39 years. Also, Bill Murray's son is an assistant coach, Luke Murray. I can only imagine a practice where his dad shows up to do the shoot-around. I'm sure the coaching staff won't allow that to happen too often. Haha. Congrats to UConn.

That is all for today, I wish all a blessed Tuesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2880.jpeg

That means a lot to me, my friend. This past year has been a bit of a dark night of the soul for me. Now I have to go find that one by St. John of the Cross. I have it in my collection somewhere.
The whole theme of this past Lent was surrendering to God's will. Fr Walter Ciszek's book "He Leadeth Me" was the topic. He was a catholic priest who wanted to minister to those in Russia before WW2 broke out, he ended up as a political prisoner and there he learned the meaning of surrendering to the will of God. Fr Ciszek was headstrong and thought he'd be able to make it through any situation by sheer will and determination. He found out that he couldn't do it on his own, he had to learn that any determination and sheer strong will were not of his doings, they were gifts of mercy from above. This struck a chord with me, as I am much like that, thinking my hard work and determination would get me through. I am not one to let Jesus take the wheel, and when I do, I sit there and tell him where to turn, watch out for that pothole, this is a tricky intersection, etc, Haha. It doesn't work that way, and at 56, I am learning and trying to let him lead.

One of the darkest times of my life was when I got divorced. 20 years of marriage gone, we had two wonderful children, a nice house, and a thriving business, my wife had joined the Catholic Church also, at about year 10 of marriage, but all came crashing down. What was particularly painful was that we almost reconciled our differences, we were so close to getting to the point where we should have been, then an argument and all the former wounds were opened. The real cause is more complex than a single argument, but in an instant, I felt the marriage slip away. It was the darkest time of my life. I often had a vision, of myself in a small boat, on the water somewhere, it was dark outside, and you could hardly see any stars at all, but there was a light, far away. It was as though I was under the darkest cloud cover ever, in total darkness, and I could see the light at the end of the storm. I was standing up in the boat, towards the front, and I felt someone behind me, someone who was a guide, protector, a savior. I didn't turn to look at him, I just looked forward, at the light, as I inched closer to the light, little by little. It gave me hope that although I was in a very dark time, the light was just ahead, something to focus on. Years later I was thinking of this feeling I had of being on that dark body of water that I wasn't making the boat move, Jesus was paddling the boat behind me, taking me where I needed to be, on his time, on his schedule, on his path.

Whatever darkness you are in now Eric, know someone is there for you, paddling your boat towards the light. You'll get there my friend, I'll continue to pray for you and your journey, have the faith of a mustard seed.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
The whole theme of this past Lent was surrendering to God's will. Fr Walter Ciszek's book "He Leadeth Me" was the topic. He was a catholic priest who wanted to minister to those in Russia before WW2 broke out, he ended up as a political prisoner and there he learned the meaning of surrendering to the will of God. Fr Ciszek was headstrong and thought he'd be able to make it through any situation by sheer will and determination. He found out that he couldn't do it on his own, he had to learn that any determination and sheer strong will were not of his doings, they were gifts of mercy from above. This struck a chord with me, as I am much like that, thinking my hard work and determination would get me through. I am not one to let Jesus take the wheel, and when I do, I sit there and tell him where to turn, watch out for that pothole, this is a tricky intersection, etc, Haha. It doesn't work that way, and at 56, I am learning and trying to let him lead.

One of the darkest times of my life was when I got divorced. 20 years of marriage gone, we had two wonderful children, a nice house, and a thriving business, my wife had joined the Catholic Church also, at about year 10 of marriage, but all came crashing down. What was particularly painful was that we almost reconciled our differences, we were so close to getting to the point where we should have been, then an argument and all the former wounds were opened. The real cause is more complex than a single argument, but in an instant, I felt the marriage slip away. It was the darkest time of my life. I often had a vision, of myself in a small boat, on the water somewhere, it was dark outside, and you could hardly see any stars at all, but there was a light, far away. It was as though I was under the darkest cloud cover ever, in total darkness, and I could see the light at the end of the storm. I was standing up in the boat, towards the front, and I felt someone behind me, someone who was a guide, protector, a savior. I didn't turn to look at him, I just looked forward, at the light, as I inched closer to the light, little by little. It gave me hope that although I was in a very dark time, the light was just ahead, something to focus on. Years later I was thinking of this feeling I had of being on that dark body of water that I wasn't making the boat move, Jesus was paddling the boat behind me, taking me where I needed to be, on his time, on his schedule, on his path.

Whatever darkness you are in now Eric, know someone is there for you, paddling your boat towards the light. You'll get there my friend, I'll continue to pray for you and your journey, have the faith of a mustard seed.
I don't have the right words to thank you for this post, John. I took a picture of it on my phone and will reflect upon it often.

Thank you, my friend. Yes, I just wiped a few tears from my eyes.

Peace in Christ.

300+ Shaves in 2024 94 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 9/30
Shave Date 4/10/2024
DE:
1948 Super Speed
Blade: GSB (3)
Soap: PAA Atomic Bay Rum
Brush: Zenith Unbleached Boar
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, PAA Atomic Bay Rum A/S.

Notes:
Another great shave this morning, I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but it is true. It is a little better on the left side of the neck and a tad off on the right side, evens out to a 9 for smoothness.

The Zenith unbleached boar was a tad scratchy when I first got it. I didn’t reach for it as often as the other boars as those broke in almost immediately. Time heals all wounds, or breaks in all boars. Today this boar felt like any of the others. I have a pig pen of boars now all capable of giving me a fine face lathering experience. The next one to get to that point is the Ds Cosmetic 24mm Mardi Gras swirled Badger. I am soaking it and towel stropping it daily now.

The last time I attempted to obtain a drowsy bride approval on Atomic Bay Rum, I received a thumbs down. Knowing these drowsy bride approvals sometimes change, I attempted today to get an approval, and I did. After the customary morning goodbye kiss, she looked over her shoulder and said I smelt good. The cherry on top of a fine shave. I did have a slight amount of additional feedback from the alum block on the right side where I shaved the problem strip of sea lion hair down almost as good as yesterday. Nothing out of the ordinary or to deduct points for. All in all, a great shave.

All for today, I'm working the other store today, and I have fires to put out here as well. No complaints, I am blessed. I wish all a blessed Wednesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2889.jpeg

Top Bottom