A handgun, shotgun, rifle that you have owned the longest......

Discussion in 'Shooting Sports and Firearms' started by Ron991, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Ron991

Ron991 Contributor

$Smithy 002.jpg $Smithy 001.jpg

I WAS CURIOUS AS TO IF PEOPLE HAVE A TENDENCY TO HANG ONTO THEIR PIECES FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME. SOME OF YOU KNOW THAT RECENTLY i GIFTED MOST OF MY HANDGUNS, SHOTGUNS, AND RIFLES TO MY SONS, AS DO TO HEALTH REASONS NO LONGER HUNT, BUT DO ON OCCASION GET TO THE RANGE. i GOT OUT OF THE SERVICE IN 1970, AND PURCHASED THIS SNUBBIE IN 1970, OR 1971. I STILL KEEP A FEW AROUND THE HOUSE THOUGH. WHAT IS THE OLDEST PIECE THAT YOU PERSONALLY PURCHASED, AND STILL HAVE. NOT THE OLDEST PIECE YOU OWN.

BEST REGARDS RON

2. Well, I'm a pretty young guy and haven't been into guns very long. I bought my first gun, and still current skeet gun (a Lanber brand spanish over/under) new in '06. I have two of my grandfathers guns: an Ithaca 37 from the 1940s and a WWII issue 1911. Obviously both have been in my family a long time but have only been in my possession for 5 or 6 years now. The only gun I have sold was a Sig 226 that I traded for my current carry gun, a Kahr CW9. The sig was a well made and reliable gun, but I never could get it to shoot accurately and it was way too big to be my primary carry gun.

3. Don't laugh, but yes.
    As a kid I had a Winchester .177 pellet gun. I recently picked it up from my dad's house and it had suffered badly after years of neglect in his garage. Web research revealed it to be a Winchester branded German import from the popular maker "Diana." In good condition these go for $35-$50 nowadays, and the cost of cleaning it up and refinishing the stock doesn't make economic sense.
    I'm cleaning it up and re-finishing the stock.

4. I have owned my Benelli super black eagle for 15 years and it is my baby. I was offered what I paid for it a few years back and I turned it down. My kids will inherit this gun.

[​IMG]

5. 20 gauge Iver Johnson Champion. Dad bought it new in the 40's and passed it on to me. I've shot a lot of a variety of game species including goose. Single shot guns just don't die.

6. Well this is difficult for me.

I had a Winnie Pump action shotgun, a Hi-Standard 22 pistol, a Ruger 10/22

If I had my way, I would still have them BUT our thieving bastard Prime Minister in 1996 brought in laws to ban semi auto rifles and P/A shotguns. And later pistols with certain capacities/shorter barrels.

Upshot is I no longer have any of the they all went through a crusher. Grrrrr.....

I have a few more guns now and the one I WILL own the longest (i.e. will not sell) is a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon V O/U shotgun.
    [​IMG]

7. I almost bought me a over and under when I bought my Benelli, it was a browning onyx I think, it was one of the first 3.5" o/u's. I would love to shoot one though.

8. The Mrs. and I have one pump action, 6 round (+ one in the chamber), 12 gauge Mossberg M590 Shotgun that we've had

since 1990. :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]"Nothing like the sound as a shotgun sheel being chambered". CBJ

9. Love these guns!! They put a few Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners on my table :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  10. I have the winchester 20 guage pump I got for my 14th birthday in 1987, and the Remington .22 I got shortly after that.

11. I have a S&W model 27, Highway Patrolman with a 6" barrel that I bought brand new in 1969.

I got it through the rod and gun club in Berlin, Germany When I was stationed there. I remember what it cost then, $81.00.

12. Turkeys are about the main thing I hunt now. I bought it when I was duck and goose hunting a lot.

13. BigFoot

BigFoot Moderator Contributor

I have an H and R 28 guage that was my grandfathers then my Dad had it and he gave it to me 32 years ago. It has been in the family since 1917.

14. Sportarms Sierra 38 since 1987.
    West German SIG P226 since 1991.

15. garyg

garyg Contributor

Nice, I recall bolt action shotguns at Sears ..

Mine is a Mossberg Model 30 if I recall correctly, single shot .22 with a peep sight that I bought circa 1960 or so for $8

16. nice shotgun

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  17. garyg

garyg Contributor

Now that is a gun - where do you hunt - 8x57 is deer?, 16 gauge unusual but a great upland bird round

18. My Dad gave me this 30/30 in 1963.
    [​IMG]

19. I've had a Stevens 22 bolt action since the mid 60's. I picked up a new model Ruger 357 Black Hawk in the late 70's that I wear in a cross draw holster when horseback, along with a Rossi 20 gauge carrige gun for the wife and home protection. The newest hand gun I have is a High Standard Sentinel MK IV 22 mag snub nose. I received it in the 80's from a friend who didn't want it any longer. Seems I acquire a firearm every decade or so...or I did

20. I have a Marlin 39a .22 LR lever action that Dad bought me in 1952. I also have his Marlin 336 in 35 Rem he got about a year later. I did pass a Stevens sxs double barrel 16 Ga on to my son that may have been in the family a little longer.