What's new

A fountain pen for me

Hey lads/ladies. I'm looking for my first fountain pen. I have not had one before but recently I have bought my gf a Van Gogh. The Visconti HS really looks and sounds like a great pen to me. I realize it is probably to expensive for my first pen but I really do not initially want to collect pens even though it may end up happening anyway. I just literally do not know what to do. Hers will be here on February 22 since it's coming from Italy and since it's a present I have to wait until after then to get mine.

When hers ears arrives I plan to have a glass dip pen from goulet pens, ink samples and paper samples to work with. After that I will probably order mine.

I know pelikan, omas, and delta make similar quality and price pens. Any others I should look into? Thanks guys.

Hey lads/ladies. I'm looking for my first fountain pen. I have not had one before but recently I have bought my gf a Van Gogh. The Visconti HS really looks and sounds like a great pen to me. I realize it is probably to expensive for my first pen but I really do not initially want to collect pens even though it may end up happening anyway. I just literally do not know what to do. Hers will be here on February 22 since it's coming from Italy and since it's a present I have to wait until after then to get mine.

When hers ears arrives I plan to have a glass dip pen from goulet pens, ink samples and paper samples to work with. After that I will probably order mine.

I know pelikan, omas, and delta make similar quality and price pens. Any others I should look into? Thanks guys.
sailor, edison, conklin, parker, namiki, waterman, all make great pens. tell us more about what you want to do with the pen, your writing style and such so we can help you more

I'm partial to Pilot (Namiki) pens. If you want something for general writing, and you do a lot of it, then they have quite a few choices in the just under $100 to around $200 range. The lower prices come from ordering directly from Japan through eBay or Amazon. You can look at the Custom Heritage 91 and 92, Custom 74, Falcon (or Elabo), and Elite to start with. All of these have nice gold nibs and are very well made. Although aesthetically pleasing, they are not luxurious. You can also pay a bit more and get the Custom 823 with its nice translucent amber body and vacuum filler. And they do make more expensive pens with more luxurious finishes, but then you aren't paying extra for actual performance.

Pilot also makes retractable fountain pens, the Capless series. I like my Capless Decimo, but it isn't my choice for writing many pages at a time. I believe Lamy is the only other maker who currently makes a true retractable fountain pen, the Dialog. I have no experience with that one. However Lamy does make the Lamy 2000, which is another great workhorse pen. I have the Makrolon version, a nice gold nibbed piston filler with understated but pleasing looks.

I realize it is probably to expensive for my first pen...

Indeed. And an expensive purchase to make for a pen you haven't even held in your hand and written with. You've not even had a fountain pen before. Do you know you'll use it? That you'll like writing with a fountain pen? Be able to maintain it, keep it clean, etc?

My first pen (or first two pens) were a $30 Pelikan and a $30 Lamy. When I was sure that it wasn't going to languish on my desk, or dry out, and when I was sure I enjoyed writing with one, I bought my next pen.

I probably now have over 70 fountain pens. And I still haven't bought one as expensive as the Homo Sapien. Too worried I'd lose it.

But hey, if you want to jump into the deep end of the fountain pen pool with a luxury pen, more power to you.

I too, strongly suggest a less expensive pen for your first purchase. You'll discover idiosyncrasies that you haven't considered about pen size/shape/performance of which some you'll love, and some you hate.

Overall weight, grip diameter, grip shape, threaded cap, transition step from body to grip, ability to post - all specifics that you will learn your preferences.

Before you buy a $500+ pen, why not try a couple of $20-$50 pens and quickly learn what you desire with regard to specifics? I love my HS, but because of it's weight, do not carry.

A $10 Jinhao will tell you if you can stand the weight. A $15 Pilot Metropolitan will give you a thinner grip. A $20 Nemosine Singularity has threads and a shaped grip; you get the idea. I doubt your first car was a $150,000 Porsche.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm in agreeance with what pretty much all of the guys are saying. It's ultimately up to you, but you might want to dip your feet in the water before you dive right in. If you could, please let us know if you're still planning on going big-time right out of the gate, or if you want to try out a few things first. I'd be happy to suggest some specific pens to check out, but an updated price range would be go to know. Also, as a couple of the guys have mentioned, your intended use would be helpful to know if you want more of a business pen, an everyday carry pen, a pen for marathon writing sessions, etc.

Ok guys, lol, maybe I was reaching? Thanks for the reality check. I just don't want to have a collection. I want to enjoy using what I buy. I don't want to worry about losing it though so maybe the HS is to much at the moment. However I do not think $100 is. I don't want to start out with the bottom of the barrel either. Someone recommended the platinum 3776 (100ish from Japan?) I believe for my gf and I think I read something about the ink not drying out because of the cap. I would like something that holds a decent amount of ink so I don't have to refill every week. I wouldn't say I write a whole lot but it may pick up a bit I'm about to go into turnaround and I will have a lot of notes to take.

My plans for use includes work (I work in a refinery) this being said it's more of a whiteish blue collar work situation. I get my hands dirty but not very often and only if I have too. I'm a process operator if that means anything to anyone reading this. Other used will be writing notes and I really need to work on my handwriting it's been terrible for some time so I guess practice as well. I want to play with different colors of ink too so I believe I will need at least a converter. Maybe something easy to clean and swap inks? It will need to be a carry pen. I do not want something that bleeds so the VP is out I want a cap I mean. I would also like a cap with a good clip, not so tight that I feel like I need to bend it to put it on.

I have been been thinking about how to respond to everyone's thoughts but it's been a really long week at work and I'm beat so I'm typing as I'm thinking. So sorry if my thoughts are all over the place.

I tried to answer all the questions the best I could for now. Maybe after some of your responses and a clear head from a good nights sleep I can do better. Thanks a bunch guys.

i think working at a refinery would be hazardous to fountain pens, not to mention the ink and paper wouldnt be compatible. thats a concern, i love fountain pens but some of the work i do cant be done with them due to the paper the company uses.

Ok guys, lol, maybe I was reaching? Thanks for the reality check. I just don't want to have a collection. I want to enjoy using what I buy. I don't want to worry about losing it though so maybe the HS is to much at the moment. However I do not think $100 is. I don't want to start out with the bottom of the barrel either. Someone recommended the platinum 3776 (100ish from Japan?) I believe for my gf and I think I read something about the ink not drying out because of the cap. I would like something that holds a decent amount of ink so I don't have to refill every week. I wouldn't say I write a whole lot but it may pick up a bit I'm about to go into turnaround and I will have a lot of notes to take.

My plans for use includes work (I work in a refinery) this being said it's more of a whiteish blue collar work situation. I get my hands dirty but not very often and only if I have too. I'm a process operator if that means anything to anyone reading this. Other used will be writing notes and I really need to work on my handwriting it's been terrible for some time so I guess practice as well. I want to play with different colors of ink too so I believe I will need at least a converter. Maybe something easy to clean and swap inks? It will need to be a carry pen. I do not want something that bleeds so the VP is out I want a cap I mean. I would also like a cap with a good clip, not so tight that I feel like I need to bend it to put it on.

I have been been thinking about how to respond to everyone's thoughts but it's been a really long week at work and I'm beat so I'm typing as I'm thinking. So sorry if my thoughts are all over the place.

I am no pen expert, but I have worked at a couple refineries. If you are outside your office at all, I wouldn't risk anything over a $3 pen be it fountain or ballpoint. :lol:

I'm not trying to deter you at all, but I certainly wouldn't risk a high dollar one. I'm looking into my first pen right now actually. I think the one I have settled on is a Pilot Metropolitan. It has both the cartridge and a converter. Good reviews, good recommendations from here, metal body, stainless nib, and it's only $15-$20.
May be a decent option to get your feet wet.

I have been a collector and user of fountain pens for many, many years. New fountain pens that I bought were ok but not particularly satisfactory or pleasing, I always preferred something much older and being a meanie I knew I could always sell my older pens for more than I paid for them.

I had seen reports of a TWSBI pen which is not expensive, the ECO model is about £30/$35 and has a range of nibs. This piston filled pen has a huge ink capacity, is well made, well designed, is attractive and can be completey stripped down if the owner wishes to do such things.

Apart from ultra cheap Jinhao 559s at £1 including postage and the Montblanc lookalike, the Jinhao 159, a princely £5 post paid, this TWSBI ECO is one of the very few modern pens that I would recommend to pen novices. The TWSBI is available with a variety of nibs, Fine, Medium, Broad and a Stub 1.1, possibly an extra fine too. Frankly I would buy the Medium and do not follow this know-it-all writer and buy the Stub nib thinking that it would make a good everyday pen, its better than that.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pilot-Founta...668572?hash=item4b0f9fa79c:g:P6IAAOSwo4pYczHP

I really like the Custom Heritage 92 from Pilot. It's a high-quality piston-fill pen made in Japan, and the blue one is a stunning colour. It also comes in clear, orange, and charcoal ... all of which are translucent/transparent so you can see how much ink remains. My only hesitancy with with pen for the OP is the nibs are basically non-interchangeable, so he'd have to know which nib size he likes.

As such, some experimentation with a Metropolitan or two would really help ... do you want a fine or medium nib?

Hey guys. Going out of town till Sunday evening. When I get back I'll be responding. We don't have internet or cell coverage up there.

I am no pen expert, but I have worked at a couple refineries. If you are outside your office at all, I wouldn't risk anything over a $3 pen be it fountain or ballpoint. :lol:

I'm not trying to deter you at all, but I certainly wouldn't risk a high dollar one. I'm looking into my first pen right now actually. I think the one I have settled on is a Pilot Metropolitan. It has both the cartridge and a converter. Good reviews, good recommendations from here, metal body, stainless nib, and it's only $15-$20.
May be a decent option to get your feet wet.

Thanks a lot man. But actually we work in a dedicated spot, I help run a unit. We have lockers and bags and my pen would stay in my bag with my journal. I trust the guys that I work in the unit with I have been there 10 years. The contractors that come in and out I don't know but they don't mess with our stuff. I carry $100 knife with me and really don't see much difference.

I have been a collector and user of fountain pens for many, many years. New fountain pens that I bought were ok but not particularly satisfactory or pleasing, I always preferred something much older and being a meanie I knew I could always sell my older pens for more than I paid for them.

I had seen reports of a TWSBI pen which is not expensive, the ECO model is about £30/$35 and has a range of nibs. This piston filled pen has a huge ink capacity, is well made, well designed, is attractive and can be completey stripped down if the owner wishes to do such things.

Apart from ultra cheap Jinhao 559s at £1 including postage and the Montblanc lookalike, the Jinhao 159, a princely £5 post paid, this TWSBI ECO is one of the very few modern pens that I would recommend to pen novices. The TWSBI is available with a variety of nibs, Fine, Medium, Broad and a Stub 1.1, possibly an extra fine too. Frankly I would buy the Medium and do not follow this know-it-all writer and buy the Stub nib thinking that it would make a good everyday pen, its better than that.

Do you have the twisbi eco? I saw that and I'm really interested in it. How do they write? Does it provide a lot of feedback or is it super smooth? Thanks for your response.

i think working at a refinery would be hazardous to fountain pens, not to mention the ink and paper wouldnt be compatible. thats a concern, i love fountain pens but some of the work i do cant be done with them due to the paper the company uses.

Everything that we do for actual work purposes needs to be printed out pretty much. It would be for my notes and other things like that that I would use the fountain pen for. I would carry my own notepad with me. Thanks for this I have that part figured out though. I'm ordering a sampler of paper from goulet.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pilot-Founta...668572?hash=item4b0f9fa79c:g:P6IAAOSwo4pYczHP

I really like the Custom Heritage 92 from Pilot. It's a high-quality piston-fill pen made in Japan, and the blue one is a stunning colour. It also comes in clear, orange, and charcoal ... all of which are translucent/transparent so you can see how much ink remains. My only hesitancy with with pen for the OP is the nibs are basically non-interchangeable, so he'd have to know which nib size he likes.

As such, some experimentation with a Metropolitan or two would really help ... do you want a fine or medium nib?

I would really prefer to start with a medium and go from there. I like to write with a thicker line. I don't think I'm going to like a fine for now.

Do you have the twisbi eco? I saw that and I'm really interested in it. How do they write? Does it provide a lot of feedback or is it super smooth? Thanks for your response.

I have had an Eco for about a year and it's a great pen the nib is smooth for being a steel nib. It hasnt gotten much use though since getting my Lamy 2000 but it will still find ways into my rotation

Top Bottom