What's new

30 Great Shaves From a Polsilver Super Iridium!

I'm fussy about blades. But the Polsilver is a complete outlier when it comes to longevity, and I've no idea why. The first time I experienced this, I didn't believe it, so I tried another Polsilver blade from a different batch and got the same result!

By comparison Rapira Platinum Lux are good for four shaves. Astra about the same. Croma Diamont five or six shaves. SuperMax Super Platinum about eight shaves. Most blades I've tried, and I've tried lots, are only good for four or five shaves, often less. The pink and blue Rapiras are cheap but are useless after two shaves.

The Polislver continued to produce smooth, close, irritation free shaves, for 30 shaves!

The razor I used was a RazoRock German 37.

Has anybody else experienced this? I have a tough course beard to boot. I'm about to test Gillette Nacet for longevity too.

Polsiver's are pricey, but work out very economical because of their long life.

Polsilver, I got 29 face and head daily shaves which equals about 87 face, if I only shaved my face. I'm confident that I can get more that now.

Astra's, I get 20 face and head shaves or 60 face shaves. I put the Polsilver SI in my FatBoy on 9 after 20 shaves, but didn't do that for the Astra's, so I'm sure I can get more out of them.

The Polsilver SI I'm currently using transitioned a little sooner than the last one, I face lathered for the first 9 shaves which dulled the blade faster. On shave 16 and still able to get a BBS face and head shave from it with a little work. I went back to bowl lathering, I should be able to finish February with it.

My face lathering experience and the February Challenge has already showed me how much more I can get out of my blades.

I use a 48-50 Aristocrat or Postwar Tech for the first 20 face and head shaves, if I want to go further, I switch to a more aggressive razor.

My beard is tough with my chin and above my lip worse.

Croma getting more shaves than Rapira or Astra is hard to swallow.? The Croma is dull & tuggy as all getout from the wrapper & I have shaved with 2 Croma's. Even the Dorco blade is 3 times better than the Croma blade IMO. Glad to hear you like the Polsilver blade.!

Polsilver own for longevity of the 20 or so blades I've tried. I lost track but know I got just over 3 weeks with one, probably 23 days would be accurate. Each shave was close and comfortable with no pushing of the blade beyond its life. Truthfully it could have gone longer, but I wanted to try some new blades. Next closest is Voskhod with 15, Astra SP with 14, and I'd say both were good for at least 2 more, although Astra don't give me the most comfortable of shaves.

Thanks guys. I'm happy to hear that others are discovering that blades last a whole lot longer than many would have one believe. No idea why the Croma did so well. Anybody got longevity feedback on the Nacet or SuperMax Super Platinum?

Croma getting more shaves than Rapira or Astra is hard to swallow.? The Croma is dull & tuggy as all getout from the wrapper & I have shaved with 2 Croma's. Even the Dorco blade is 3 times better than the Croma blade IMO. Glad to hear you like the Polsilver blade.!

Definitely a YMMV thing. I find Croma to be a great blade for my skin/beard combo. Not quite up there with Posilver, Nacet & med preps, but better than Astra and a few other faves. I get a week's worth of quality shaves from a blade.

I haven't put Nacet to the longevity test, and I'm currently testing med preps. I want to try a Feather next but after that I'll see how many shaves I get from a Nacet.

Polsilver, I got 29 face and head daily shaves which equals about 87 face, if I only shaved my face. I'm confident that I can get more that now.

Astra's, I get 20 face and head shaves or 60 face shaves. I put the Polsilver SI in my FatBoy on 9 after 20 shaves, but didn't do that for the Astra's, so I'm sure I can get more out of them.

The Polsilver SI I'm currently using transitioned a little sooner than the last one, I face lathered for the first 9 shaves which dulled the blade faster. On shave 16 and still able to get a BBS face and head shave from it with a little work. I went back to bowl lathering, I should be able to finish February with it.

My face lathering experience and the February Challenge has already showed me how much more I can get out of my blades.

I use a 48-50 Aristocrat or Postwar Tech for the first 20 face and head shaves, if I want to go further, I switch to a more aggressive razor.

My beard is tough with my chin and above my lip worse.

Just curious, why do you say that face lathering dulls your blade faster?

I wish i can get so many shaves from a blade...after 5-6 shaves they give me a lot of irritation, only exception Personna israeli red that last 8-9 before a very unpleasant shave.

I've just received my first tucks of Polsilver, never tried one yet.

Just curious, why do you say that face lathering dulls your blade faster?
I shave my face and head. I load the brush with soap and start lathering my face. By the time I get to my head, there's not enough good lather left in the brush to soften my hair.

When I bowl lather, I load the brush the same, same amount of soap, and get more lather in the bowl, which is plenty for my entire shave.

With face lathering, I felt more resistance on ATG pass on my head.

If I were only shaving my face, longevity would probably be the same.

To get the same longevity, I would probably have to load the brush twice. I can load the brush once with bowl lathering and get longevity I'm use to.

This blade transitioned allot faster then the last one or my other top blades. 21 face and head shaves on this one now. The next blade will confirm, I'm back to bowl lathering.

I don't know how you guys do it…30 shaves with one Polsilver SI….I get about 7-8 if Im lucky.

Tried to squeeze an extra day out of mine today…was rewarded with some nice weepers on the lower neck.

I don't know how you guys do it…30 shaves with one Polsilver SI….I get about 7-8 if Im lucky.

Tried to squeeze an extra day out of mine today…was rewarded with some nice weepers on the lower neck.
What razor do you use? I only use razors with max rigidity, Gillette Postwar Tech, NEW SC, TTO's, adjustables, Old Type. I don't have any modern razors but Wolfman, Timeless, and Fatip Piccolo looks to fit the bill.

I now have 24 face and head shaves on a Polsilver SI, which equals about 73 face shaves. I flip the blade everyday. If I was only shaving my face, I flip it every other day.

Prep and slick lather helps also.

I use them in an Aristocrat #21 and #16….both exceptionally built razors….16 is smooth and forgiving while the 21 is on the aggressive side.

I start the blade off in the 16 for about 3-4 days then move it over to the 21 after the sharpness has declined a bit.

My beard hair is pretty tough….but then whose isn't?

Top Bottom