What's new

3 Days in Nashville

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I'll be making a quick trip to Nashville, a Saturday through Monday. Any and all recommendations for to do/see, eat, listen to, get off the beaten path would be appreciated. I have never been and I'm looking forward to it. Of course I wish I had more time, but work seems to feel I've had enough time off lately... pssshhh.

Anyhow, thanks for taking a moment!

Definitely no secrets there but I really enjoyed the show :)

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Party Fowl for some Nashville hot chicken.

It’s a tourist attraction but the Opryland hotel is beautiful. Ryman does tours and it’s cool to see behind the scenes. Be prepared in the evening in downtown Nashville its bachelorette party central. I am sure others will weigh in, we visit every couple years so things change.

if you get the chance, the Gaylord Resort is as amazing as it is expensive. I plan in bringing my wife one eventually, but stayed there on a business conference. Best hotel I have ever stayed at.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The Gaylord Opryland Resort is worth checking out but I don’t agree that it’s as amazing as everyone says. I’ve been there bout 3-4x and stayed there once. I will admit it was cool staying there because the balcony overlooks the atrium. But that was about as cool as it got for being a guest. It’s worth walking around checking out everything, having a drink, window shopping the shops. But it’s basically a tourist trap like everywhere else. I wasn’t impressed with the Italian restaurant they got there either.

Jacks BBQ on broadway is good. Merchants on broadway is good. I’ve really only ever been to the touristy part because I only go there when friends visit and that’s what they like. The best part for me is finding a bar with a view of the street, grabbing a few beers and people watching. Any bar on Broadway & 2nd is gonna be bout $6-$10 for a beer. $15-$20 for a mixed drink.

Printers alley has some cool bars and sights to see.

The Parthenon is a replica of the Roman (?) one and a museum and nice park.

Belle Mead Plantation is also pretty cool. We did a Segway tour of it a few years ago and that was fun. It’s a little ways from downtown Nashville though.

I would recommend wrapping up your night around midnight. Any later than that and you’ll be harassed by the homeless. And as others have mentioned….expect big crowds with loud obnoxious bachelorette parties.

Every bar and some restaurants are going to have live music and it’s LOUD. Like really loud. Even McDonald’s has live music. There’s just as many folks on the street with their guitars too.

Where are you staying?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
We are staying a mile or so east of Nissan Stadium. The Parthenon is on the list. Of course we'll take in some music. Printers Alley sounds appealing. Won't be participating, intentionally, in a bridal shower. Wondering what foods represent other than "Hot Chicken".

We will have a rental car. Who knows, we may take a day trip up to Mammoth. Thank you all again for the suggestions.

The Hermitage, Andy Jackson's plantation home, is worth an afternoon or several days. The Parathion, a few hours. The Ryman theater, interesting if you're into country music. Great restaurants and night life.

B
Thanks for the input all! Mrs. Chef's convention is at the Gaylord, good to know it's above par.
Best place I have ever stayed. Second best, while very nice, doesn’t even compare. I want to take my wife there one of these days. Last time I considered it the expense was just too much. Your wife will love it.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Nashville here I come! T minus 12 hours and counting 'til take-off. A quick bump for anyone to shoot out last minute recommendations or advice. I'll post here again post trip...

I'll be making a quick trip to Nashville, a Saturday through Monday. Any and all recommendations for to do/see, eat, listen to, get off the beaten path would be appreciated. I have never been and I'm looking forward to it. Of course I wish I had more time, but work seems to feel I've had enough time off lately... pssshhh.

Anyhow, thanks for taking a moment!
I had a blast at the Kid rock bar. So good I rolled down a flight of steps. Broke my hand and dont remember the best parts leading into that LOL. Have fun

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well, how was it?

I need to get down there again and check out all the new bars. It’s been bout 4 years.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Well, how was it?

I need to get down there again and check out all the new bars. It’s been bout 4 years.
Huh... I must have posted this in the wrong thread.

"
Back home. Nashville was a quick trip, just Saturday to Monday.

The Parthenon on Saturday was impressive. There was also an art fair in the park that we enjoyed strolling through. We ate at Peninsula for dinner which was good, but most dishes just seemed as though they were reaching a tad too far. Not contrived but just a note to many or not enough. Decided against Broadway that evening and headed to a pool hall instead.

Sunday we visited Broadway fairly early. Popped into Tootsie's, Robert's Western World and a couple others. Enjoyed the music at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge the most. "Tipped" the band $20 to play John Prine's "In Spite of Ourselves" which they had fun with. We also visited the National Museum of African American Music which was a trip highlight. Hattie B's for Nashville Hot Chicken sandwichs late. Ordered mine "Medium" and it was, indeed, really blipping good.

Monday we succumbed to laziness and rode the hop on hop off bus. Mixed feelings on this one. We've considered it in some of the other cities we've visited but had always decided against it. Pro's- good way to get your bearings in a city you're not familiar with, somewhat informative narration from your driver, no need to deal with parking when you hop off. Cons- If you hop off there is no guarantee you'll be hopping back on the next bus. If it's full you're waiting for the next bus. Happened twice and that was my biggest issue. The canned answer from the drivers is "there's another one right behind us", we found this not to be the case. Also, you're stuck with your driver. Bad jokes and temperament included. That being said I would not want to drive a bus in a big circuit day after day yakking the entire time. All in all we would probably avoid this in the future. We also visited the Johnny Cash Museum while on the circuit. A nice collection but a bit small and VERY crowded.

Crowned by an amazing tapas dinner and then it was time to take Mrs. Chef to the Gaylord Opryland. Which is something to behold. I only checked her in and got her to her room. It's mighty big and mighty purty. She didn't rave about the food and did mention that it felt as though they were always trying to make another $$$ off you at every turn.

A brief visit for me. I enjoyed it very much. The people were very friendly, I felt safe at all times, the food was terrific, the vibe was fun and the music was ubiquitous."

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Huh... I must have posted this in the wrong thread.

"
Back home. Nashville was a quick trip, just Saturday to Monday.

The Parthenon on Saturday was impressive. There was also an art fair in the park that we enjoyed strolling through. We ate at Peninsula for dinner which was good, but most dishes just seemed as though they were reaching a tad too far. Not contrived but just a note to many or not enough. Decided against Broadway that evening and headed to a pool hall instead.

Sunday we visited Broadway fairly early. Popped into Tootsie's, Robert's Western World and a couple others. Enjoyed the music at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge the most. "Tipped" the band $20 to play John Prine's "In Spite of Ourselves" which they had fun with. We also visited the National Museum of African American Music which was a trip highlight. Hattie B's for Nashville Hot Chicken sandwichs late. Ordered mine "Medium" and it was, indeed, really blipping good.

Monday we succumbed to laziness and rode the hop on hop off bus. Mixed feelings on this one. We've considered it in some of the other cities we've visited but had always decided against it. Pro's- good way to get your bearings in a city you're not familiar with, somewhat informative narration from your driver, no need to deal with parking when you hop off. Cons- If you hop off there is no guarantee you'll be hopping back on the next bus. If it's full you're waiting for the next bus. Happened twice and that was my biggest issue. The canned answer from the drivers is "there's another one right behind us", we found this not to be the case. Also, you're stuck with your driver. Bad jokes and temperament included. That being said I would not want to drive a bus in a big circuit day after day yakking the entire time. All in all we would probably avoid this in the future. We also visited the Johnny Cash Museum while on the circuit. A nice collection but a bit small and VERY crowded.

Crowned by an amazing tapas dinner and then it was time to take Mrs. Chef to the Gaylord Opryland. Which is something to behold. I only checked her in and got her to her room. It's mighty big and mighty purty. She didn't rave about the food and did mention that it felt as though they were always trying to make another $$$ off you at every turn.

A brief visit for me. I enjoyed it very much. The people were very friendly, I felt safe at all times, the food was terrific, the vibe was fun and the music was ubiquitous."

My thoughts exactly on Opryland. Nice to look at, and stay at, but the food there….meh. Next time you go try the pedal tavern if you’re up for it. Bout an hour, you can bring your own beer and the “driver” will serve you. You stop at a few bars too and get drinks. Tells you a brief history but mainly you just pedal around and drink. I drank a 6pk in about an hour…good way to get lit fast.

Top Bottom