What's new

1st try Suneko Amorphous Diamond blades

Hello,

It is very interesting! How do these blades compare in smoothness to blades like nacet?

Thank you
Well, I finished my second shave on this blade about 20 minutes ago. I recreated the conditions of my first shave in every regard save for the aftershave splash. Since I'm not doing anything tonight, just Skin Bracer. I could detect no loss of quality on this 2nd three passes and cleanup shave.

It has been a few years since I've used Nacets. A tuck I bought at Pastuer's during an NYC trip.

Judging from a lack of irritation or redness, indeed...I had no weepers this second time around, I consider this a smooth blade. Not noticeably different from my Med Preps or Russian Astra greens. I only have two blades in my bullpen right now I consider less than optimally smooth, Sharks and Rockwells. They are completely serviceable. The Suneko is certainly better than them.

Thanks for the progress report. Sounding good so far!
I guess since I opened this can of worms, I'm obliged to torture test this blade to discern if it does have some gee whiz Flash Gordon blade coating.

But I draw the line at using the same razor three times in a row. That would be cruel and unusual. My next shave with this blade in two or three days will be with something else in the collection. Not sure what it will be yet.

Mind you, if it turns out I have discovered the "Personna 74" of this 21st Century, I don't think it is unreasonable to be addressed as "The Christopher Columbus of the Safety Razor Blades Forum".

And I'll need official theme music. You know, something to play whenever I walk into a room so everyone knows to rise to their feet. "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" should do the trick.

Third shave on this blade a bit ago, pretty much 48 hours from my second shave. Wanted to use the Yaqi "TFC" Gibbs clone I received yesterday.
20231128_175325.jpg

This shave was as good, or slightly better, than my first two shaves with the Progress. No hint of tugging so far, and the alum and aftershave gave no indication of irritated skin.

But my aftershave only survived five minutes. A German shepherd named Buckeye apparently likes the tastes of alum and Clubman Bay Rum, so he quickly replaced those with saliva.
20231128_183627.jpg

Well, I can still kind of smell the Bay Rum.

I plan to stick with this first blade until it becomes as awful as a new Voskhod out of the wrapper, but I will move my updates to the "what did you use today" thread.

Hopefully, people who have ordered Sunekos will get them next week and start weighing in.

Last edited:
Okay, I guess there's no harm in it. I am looking forward to other folks' take on this blade though.

And by sticking to this one blade, I suppose I'm working towards that "Excalibur" ranking for wringing out every possible use of a razor blade. In two or three days I'll go for my fourth use of this blade. I cannot remember the last time I used any blade 4 times. I always thought using a blade multiple times was for countries where you have to boil the tap water.

And these are the 48-72 hour shaves of a 50-year-old. Wire-like grey stubble that has seen the elephant. The stubble of lighthouse keepers and U-boat commanders. Not some youngster whose idea of pre-shave is taking a walk on a day with high humidity!

That such a blade has given me three 3-pass shaves of BBS so far is certainly impressing me.

Fourth shave on the Suneko blade about a half an hour ago. An almost exact 72 hour interval from my last shave. I have two 72-hour and two 48-hour interval shaves on this blade.

Here is what 72-hour stubble looks like on me.
20231201_181247~2.jpg

That's asking a lot from a blade. These were my choices today.
20231201_185156.jpg

Up front, I knew I was making an error going with the QShave Futur clone when the Pearl Flexi or Fatboy would've been a better choice. At best, I'd call the end result a DFS, maybe a bit less than that. It was my first outing with this QShave and it just doesn't handle like other razors.

First time using a lathered soap with this blade. The RazoRock "Gold". Adequate, certainly, but the VDH Shave Butter and Cremo Cream Original are more slick, IMO.

Perhaps I also detected the faintest beginnings of a tugging sensation? I'll need to go back to the Progress on my next test so as to eliminate some variables.

Top Bottom