What's new

1st try Suneko Amorphous Diamond blades

I'd compare it most closely to a Gillette Nacet or a Lord Silver Star or Platinum in terms of sharpness and smoothness but definitely agree the longevity is much higher on the suneko than other comparable sharp and smooth blades. I get more comfortable shave out of them.

I also agree the price being comparable to well known brands causes me to hesitate to buy more but it's still worth the price for the performance imo. it makes me think there's no need to hoard any more blades because while current favourites may be hard to get, maybe even better new developments will come out in future.

the minor changes in price difference can sometimes be due to exchange rates as well but maybe not in this case if it's steadily rising. it seems to be about the same in GBP as when I bought some.

Round 2 of my Suneko evaluation.

Stepping up the aggressiveness with the RazoRock Game Changer by going from the .68P plate to the .84P.

I did a full beard shave this morning, with two days' growth. Here are my Day 1 evaluations:
  • On three passes (WTG, XTG x2), I got a very comfortable DFS+ shave on my face. I will say that it took some work and some cleanup to get there, though. The GC84P/Suneko combination is still pretty mild, overall.
  • On my neck, the results were less impressive. DFS on four passes. I've gotten better results on my neck recently with milder razors and sharper blades.
  • Very smooth, even on the first day. No roughness, cuts or irritation.
I skip days on my face but shave my neck every day now, so I'll have the opportunity this week to experiment with shaving angles to see if I can get optimal results with this razor/blade combo. I'm conservative with more aggressive razors, since I'm trying hard right now to avoid razor burn.

2024-04-21 09.22.10.jpg

Day 2 of my Game Changer .84P/Suneko evaluation:
  • Totally smooth shave again.
  • I had to run it steeper/more aggressive than I currently like in order to get the DFS+ result I was looking for.
  • Definitely felt it after the shave as a result of the steeper angle.
I can already tell this combo wouldn't work for me as a regular shave.

As a result, I'm thinking of switching the Suneko to a different razor as a "control" for this evaluation. I'll probably try my pre-war Tech, which gave me a fabulous neck shave with a Feather a week ago. That'll allow me to evaluate what the Suneko is capable of in comparison to a combo that I know I like. I'll probably try it in my Gillette Slim after that. The smoothness is awesome, but the efficiency level isn't wowing me.

Day 3 of my Game Changer .84P/Suneko evaluation:

After going with my Gillette Techs with ultra-sharp blades (Nacet/Feather) for a couple days, I decided to finish my evaluation of the Suneko/GC84P combo, starting with a neck shave today.

My neck shaves with the Techs turned out not to be much, if any, better than with the Suneko/84P. As always, the problem is one of technique, not tools! :)
  • Compared to the Techs over the last couple days, this was an absolutely effortless and comfortable shave. The Feather, in particular, has to be overseen very carefully with a Tech during the shave and is still rough on its first day. The Nacet is better, but it's still a careful process in the Tech. The Suneko in this 84P just glides easily over the skin with no drama. Very nice!
  • With more aggressive stretching of my aging, semi-turkey neck, I achieved a shave that was DFS+ in some places, BBS in others. That's a good neck shave, for me.
  • Because I only use one side of the blade per shave, this is essentially "day 2" on the first side of the blade, even though it's my third shave overall with this blade. The smoothness at this point is as good as any blade I've used.
I'll do a full face shave tomorrow with the Suneko and see where I'm at. If today is an indicator, this is a razor/blade combo I could live with.

Day 3 of my Game Changer .84P/Suneko evaluation:

After going with my Gillette Techs with ultra-sharp blades (Nacet/Feather) for a couple days, I decided to finish my evaluation of the Suneko/GC84P combo, starting with a neck shave today.

My neck shaves with the Techs turned out not to be much, if any, better than with the Suneko/84P. As always, the problem is one of technique, not tools! :)
  • Compared to the Techs over the last couple days, this was an absolutely effortless and comfortable shave. The Feather, in particular, has to be overseen very carefully with a Tech during the shave and is still rough on its first day. The Nacet is better, but it's still a careful process in the Tech. The Suneko in this 84P just glides easily over the skin with no drama. Very nice!
  • With more aggressive stretching of my aging, semi-turkey neck, I achieved a shave that was DFS+ in some places, BBS in others. That's a good neck shave, for me.
  • Because I only use one side of the blade per shave, this is essentially "day 2" on the first side of the blade, even though it's my third shave overall with this blade. The smoothness at this point is as good as any blade I've used.
I'll do a full face shave tomorrow with the Suneko and see where I'm at. If today is an indicator, this is a razor/blade combo I could live with.
Kind of having mixed results with Sunekos lately. Had a good shave in Kentucky with one, paired with a Fatboy. Then came home and good shave with a Futur and a Derby Premium. Then not so good shave with the same Futur and a Suneko. Then a "meh" shave with that Suneko(2) and a Fatboy this morning with two passes. Nick on the chin and weepers on upper lip because I was rushing it.

I had a VA exam today and was a bit nervous. Need to reclaim my "Zen".

Day 4 of my Game Changer .84P/Suneko evaluation

Full face shave today.
  • Very smooth again, even on my ATG pass on my face. No immediate irritation, though we'll see how this goes through the day, as ATG passes are not the norm for me.
  • Results were DFS+, with DFS in places. Not as close as I'd normally want for an ATG shave. Neck results were not as good as yesterday, though perhaps I wasn't as careful with the neck today.
  • I focused on taking very shallow passes, and perhaps a little more angle is needed with this blade. That might be my focus for tomorrow's neck shave.

Kind of having mixed results with Sunekos lately. Had a good shave in Kentucky with one, paired with a Fatboy. Then came home and good shave with a Futur and a Derby Premium. Then not so good shave with the same Futur and a Suneko. Then a "meh" shave with that Suneko(2) and a Fatboy this morning with two passes. Nick on the chin and weepers on upper lip because I was rushing it.

I had a VA exam today and was a bit nervous. Need to reclaim my "Zen".
I hope the exam went well!

Top Bottom