What's new

BOOKMATCHED Burl Scales PIF!

Thanks guys! Hopefully this CA will straighten out after a few more coats. First time using it as a finish and it's giving me a fit. Should have just sprayed them I think, but it would take more finish to set up the sprayer than it would to finish them. :lol:

So it's turning out that CA and I are not a fairy tale couple at all. We are, however, at least at that realization and talking. We have agreed to seek counseling if we can't make this work on our own.

I will try to remember to post one a little later. I have it up drying a coat right now.

My issue is that is is a rough, very uneven surface after it dries. I sand it down to smooth it out between coats, but the next one usually dries just as uneven. I'm thinking it is just going to take a lot more coats than I was initially expecting with a final sanding and then polishing.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Here's what I do. I have a little pegboard and I use a little double-sided tape to hold the scales on there. I do about 4 to 6 heavy coats as evenly as possible using the little horse hair brushes. It will be uneven and you have to work quickly with those brushes. Consider the brushes disposable. One brush for coat for scale. After that I do rough sanding for shape and evenness. If I'm happy with what I have at that point then I will just buff it and polish it and call it good. If it needs more than I'll just do 2 to 3 light coats and then move into sanding and leveling and buffing and polishing. I hope this helps

image.jpg
This is the CA glue kit I use. I highly recommend it. It comes with everything you need and instructions on how to do it.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I have some cheap art brushes from the dollar store I am using, but same idea. Too used to the cabinet finish my dad uses. Spray it and forget it.

Thank you again to @edwinhmcbride for the scale blanks. I finally was able to spend a day in my Dad's shop and do a little work.
I used some double stick tape and sanded both sides with 250 grit and then 400 to remove the saw marks. I then laid out two different sets of scales and...they both will fit! Providing two sets of nicely matched scales.
I then cut slices from a Caroline ivory nut palm (vegetable ivory) to serve as the wedge for one set and slices of Ebony wedges for the other set.
I then set up Dad's scroll saw and cut a test piece to check the blade...and the motor released it's "magic smoke." Sadly, the old gal was not salvageable and I will be helping Dad find a new one. The scales will have to wait a little longer.

Dad and I also managed to finish my daughters six birthday gift; a Native American Flute bag made from a full Red Fox pelt which will hold the beautiful flute Dad completed.

Pics of both projects to follow in the next couple days.

Last edited:
I will try to remember to post one a little later. I have it up drying a coat right now.

My issue is that is is a rough, very uneven surface after it dries. I sand it down to smooth it out between coats, but the next one usually dries just as uneven. I'm thinking it is just going to take a lot more coats than I was initially expecting with a final sanding and then polishing.
Don't worry about this; ignore it. The idea is to get enough coats on that you can sand the finish true and flat, then buff. If you get enough coats on, it will sand smooth and buff out beautifully.
I do a minimum of twenty. More if I can.

Top Bottom