What's new

Can Boar Brushes deyhydrate over time?

hi i have a omega 80266 boar shaving brush that ive had over 2 years it just kinda seem like its not soft as it use to be and im working to get a lather and i get a bad irritation at times and seems hard ? or lathering certain soaps as it use to is there a way of fixing it without having to buy another brush? i usually use this brush every 2 days when im shaving i know it sat for atlest 5 months or so when i was out of state could of dried up some then

By any chance, do you have hard water that may have left a soap scum at the base of the bristles. If so, that may make your brush stiffer. If you can see a scum just above the handle, try soaking your brush is some vinegar until the soap scum dissolves. I have a boar brush that is over 30 years old; it is still usable.

By any chance, do you have hard water that may have left a soap scum at the base of the bristles. If so, that may make your brush stiffer. If you can see a scum just above the handle, try soaking your brush is some vinegar until the soap scum dissolves. I have a boar brush that is over 30 years old; it is still usable.
would dawn dish soap work or be to harsh

CHECK OUT THIS THREAD. How to: Clean a Shaving Brush
I've tried this and it seems to work just fine. The vinegar soak even helps remove stank from brushes.
Thanks I have a bottle of dawn I should use a little more dedicated for my razors to clean them thought haven't for some time and need to looking into maybe fixing up my vdh badger and maybe restoring a few others

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks I have a bottle of dawn I should use a little more dedicated for my razors to clean them thought haven't for some time and need to looking into maybe fixing up my vdh badger and maybe restoring a few others
No problem amigo, and good luck in all your/our shaving escapades. LOL

I would try soaking it in a glass of water with a few drops of glycerin added.
+1
I have an Omega 49 Pro that's still softer months after treatment. Mine turned almost brittle after I tried using near-boiling water to speed up the break-in process, so I know that hard water/residual soap didn't play a part. For an older brush, I'd probably try the dishsoap/vinegar cleaning method first, then the hydration treatment if it was still dry.

The vinegar works if you have soap scum.

Using Dawn dish detergent may help. The use it to clean oil of birds caught in oil spills, so it should not harm your brush.

The other thing you might try is a conditioning shampoo. If it can clean and condition your hair, it should do the same for your brush, whether badger hair , horse hair, or boar bristles.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A periodic rinse with a vinegar solution will soften badger a bit.

There are at least 3 available brush cleaning soaps, made for this puropse, Uomo, Zartgefu, and just in the past few days, L&L Gooming.

I would also suspect that a pure coconut oil soap like MdC would clean a brush well since it leaves essentially no residue, one of the biggest complaints with coconut oil soaps as a shave soap.

Cheers, Steve

Using Dawn dish detergent may help. The use it to clean oil of birds caught in oil spills, so it should not harm your brush.
My understanding about Dawn dish detergent was that it had glycerin.
According to P&G's info though, that is not true. (Unless one of the ingredients are glycerin with a different name.)
It's supposed to be good for making giant bubbles too.

Top Bottom