What's new

May 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Date09.05.2024
366 daily shaves
130/366

RazorBladeBrush
Greencult 2.0IIGillette Rubie (3)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
TGS Savage (14)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
8/10 (Few weepers)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.25/10
(DFS++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Splendid razor for a heavenly shave this Ascension Day. Could have been closer and smoother. Tomorrow is another day and another shave.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in

Edwin Jagger DE89
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) (8)
Shavemac 2-Band Fan 24mm
Palmolive Stick
A&E L'Orange Verte

IMG-DSC_6130 (2).JPG

Cheers :)

In!
20240508_120844.jpeg

Catching up with yesterday's shave.
Today is Father's Day here in Germany, so family time is in focus.
Today's shave will take place later... there's an unsolicitated gift from my kids (with a little support of Mrs JAHE) which will be test drived. Stay tuned 😀

Cheers!

Morning shave - 5/9/24
Razor: Swing SB
Blade: Derby Premium (5/5) (4)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Pilssoft RR400
Aftershave: Clubman Whiskey Woods
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Switched to another Swedish razor in the Swing. Another awesome razor and it did not let down either. Very easy shave albeit with more blade feel than the Matador I used yesterday. Smooth and plenty close.

I informed my wife expecting to receive congratulations and a loving embrace, but received neither :rolleyes:
Tell me about it! I know my wife isn’t really keen on my latest obsession, but she doesn’t appear to in any way impressed with my three years of mostly successful restraint. I know now not to mention it.

Still in, a couple of days ago I put away Mike’s Bay Rum and pulled out my puck of Haslinger Schafmilch. Once again I’m impressed with how concentrated this soap is! I face lather, and only need to load the brush once, and there is still enough left in the brush at the end for another shave! I suspect this small 60 grams puck will last longer than my much larger Mike’s.
Company has left, things have slowed down. While time was limited I skipped a pass or two on my shaving, but am still getting a CCS. Yesterday was shave 535 on my Feather.

Still in - not only am I not increasing my inventory but this month I have actually sold 6 unused vintage shave bowls with pucks, and a vintage razor! My inventory is reduced 🥳 I informed my wife expecting to receive congratulations and a loving embrace, but received neither :rolleyes:
Like my dad used to say when I anticipated getting a reward for bringing home good grades. “We will not reward expected behavior.” Haha.

Last edited:
Still in ;)
So here's the Father's Day gift.

20240509_141912.jpeg
Giesen & Forsthoff Timor GS 1354. 🤩 (The black box pictured contains the matching OC head.)

I absolutely haven't had this made in Germany razor on my shaving radar, so receiving this razor was a jar dropping surprise for me this morning.

I did some quick research and found out that this razor is reputated to be a mild tool. So I loaded a fresh Feather blade from the get go.

The reviews were right. It is a mild razor, daily driver department for me. As it appears, the blade gap is rather small, the blade exposure seems to be neutral or perhaps even slightly negative. This means one has to focus to maintain a proper shaving angle, but the one needed (neutral to shallow angle) can be found and executed easily.

20240509_142250.jpeg
Overall, I did enjoy the shave. And that's not only due to the good karma which comes with a present given by my lovely little monsters. 😉 I did three passes, the razor did a solid job. DFS/BBS. I had to repeat some strokes on my crucial chin area and on the jaw line area to reach the desired results, but even after buffing those spots a couple of times the razor didn't cause any skin irritation. That's both surprising and remarkable, since I even caught myself executing a bit of pressure. Then, another surprise: no Feather blemish happened today, go figure.
There's obviously a good reason the razor is called "Gentle Shaver" by its manufacturer.

I feel very thankful today. Not only because of receiving this gracious gift. Having a lovely wife with great kids is the most precious gift I can imagine.

Cheers, Friends!

Last edited:
SOTD "Free Week" May 6th to May 12th

May 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Hello friends

Sultry afternoon here. Perfect for using one of my favorite soaps: Stirling MITA. Semogue SOC Boar, Greencult 2.0 plate II, a brand new Gillette Nacet (1) and Pinaud Citrus Musk complemented the shave splendidly.

With us, the wonderful Sonny Clark.

Rating: 9,5

Have a nice evening and great shaves!
❤️🪒

D598315F-CDD1-4E49-A04F-BB60645E7539.jpeg
IMG_6859.jpeg

Top Bottom