What's new

May 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in
IMG_1104.jpeg

Still in. I am surprised at how much I am missing the anticipation of a new parcel arriving; I guess that is further proof, if any were needed, that I need to curb my spending. It is odd how there can be a strange satisfaction in resisting the temptation to buy things. I wonder if it is possible to get more enjoyment from not buying something than from actually buying it - many would no doubt suggest Arko! This is my first GRUME and instead of being an exercise in buying things that one does not have, it is becoming one of appreciating and being thankful for the things one does have, and I do not mean simply shaving products, but everything.
That has also been my experience with GRUME: becoming aware that less is more. The less stuff I buy the more time and pleasure I have to enjoy what I've already got. This is what I remind myself of when I start browsing for more acquisitions. It doesn't always work but more often than not it stems the tide. Welcome to the GRUME fold.

Confession and dilemma: Earlier today I accidentally signed up for @Eric_75's blade PIF. I wasn't thinking about my participation in GRUME this month and then a few minutes ago realized what I had done. I immediately went back to Eric's PIF and removed myself.

My actions were not an attempt to circumvent or ignore my GRUME commitment; I just wasn't thinking. I realize my restraint needs to be more at the forefront of my mind, so I completely understand if this misstep disqualifies me from this month's effort.

I submit myself to whatever flogging is appropriate.

Confession and dilemma: Earlier today I accidentally signed up for @Eric_75's blade PIF. I wasn't thinking about my participation in GRUME this month and then a few minutes ago realized what I had done. I immediately went back to Eric's PIF and removed myself.

My actions were not an attempt to circumvent or ignore my GRUME commitment; I just wasn't thinking. I realize my restraint needs to be more at the forefront of my mind, so I completely understand if this misstep disqualifies me from this month's effort.

I submit myself to whatever flogging is appropriate.
"Integrity" is the watchword here - after all, we're self-reporting. If you say this was an unintentional slip and you rectified the situation immediately, that's good enough for me. Call this your "mulligan". It takes some time to build up the restraint muscles and reflexes. :)

Well. I failed. @ChiefBroom had a Sherlock in Tortoise that I couldn’t resist. It will be my first Paladin, and a failure in my first attempt at GRUME.

Sorry friends.
I'm sorry to hear it, but this illustrates just how hard restraint can be. It seems that while you're trying to stop purchases, the universe will present you with temptations.

You're welcome - and encouraged - to continue to participate in the thread. Lots of people fall out and it's how you handle the stumble that matters. You could commit to going 30-of-31 rather than giving up on restraint, and that would be in a win of sorts, too.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTMC
2) @Multum in parvo
3) @silverlifter
4) @EclipseRedRing
5) @Guido75
6) @Bsamps
7) @hopper_64 - GRUYERE
8) @iver
9) @Jayson74
10) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
11) @WThomas0814
12) @JAHE
13) @BobbyB
14) @ric164
15) @SmokedStanley
16) @Texchappy
17) @La Malice - GRUYERE, SOTMC
18) @ChriWilson - GRUYERE, SOTMC, MM '24
19) @JohnG
20) @Pyrate
21) @Beto Salatini
22) @cajunrph
23) @zoidberg
24) @Balin
25) @awk_m4
26) @JKaboom
27) @Denfly- SOTM
28) @squank
29) @FullyLoaded
30) @Roedeer
31) @LJBraaten - GRUYERE
32) epindy1911 - out (5/8: Paladin)
33) @Doti B
34) @blethenstrom
35) @FL shaver
36)

5-8 Wednesday 9pm
Shave 63/366.
May GRUME still in
2 pass CCS

Razor: Lupo .58
Blade: Derby Premium 2
Soap: B&M Cool
Brush: APshave G5C
1000004093.jpg

Changed things up today and moved the Derby Premium to my Lupo .58
A much different shave experience then the Overlander for sure. Not a bad shave, not a great shave.
Jay

I'm sorry to hear it, but this illustrates just how hard restraint can be. It seems that while you're trying to stop purchases, the universe will present you with temptations.

You're welcome - and encouraged - to continue to participate in the thread. Lots of people fall out and it's how you handle the stumble that matters. You could commit to going 30-of-31 rather than giving up on restraint, and that would be in a win of sorts, too.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTMC
2) @Multum in parvo
3) @silverlifter
4) @EclipseRedRing
5) @Guido75
6) @Bsamps
7) @hopper_64 - GRUYERE
8) @iver
9) @Jayson74
10) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
11) @WThomas0814
12) @JAHE
13) @BobbyB
14) @ric164
15) @SmokedStanley
16) @Texchappy
17) @La Malice - GRUYERE, SOTMC
18) @ChriWilson - GRUYERE, SOTMC, MM '24
19) @JohnG
20) @Pyrate
21) @Beto Salatini
22) @cajunrph
23) @zoidberg
24) @Balin
25) @awk_m4
26) @JKaboom
27) @Denfly- SOTM
28) @squank
29) @FullyLoaded
30) @Roedeer
31) @LJBraaten - GRUYERE
32) epindy1911 - out (5/8: Paladin)
33) @Doti B
34) @blethenstrom
35) @FL shaver
36)
Back on the Wagon.

Day 8, 25.8% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Nivea Men Shaving Creme
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Proraso Sensitive Balm

Loaded a fresh Astra for the second week. This Nivea cream has excellent performance and an irritation-free post-shave. I wish I'd got more than one spare now, while it was £2 a tube. Got an easy near-BBS.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Still in - not only am I not increasing my inventory but this month I have actually sold 6 unused vintage shave bowls with pucks, and a vintage razor! My inventory is reduced 🥳 I informed my wife expecting to receive congratulations and a loving embrace, but received neither :rolleyes:

Top Bottom