What's new

Using a Microscope to identify bevel set

So I got this microscope.
1714839962718.png

It's not fancy and only 1080p. But it has really leveled up my bevel setting game; having the screen right there makes it as ergonomic to use as my loupe, and much more so than my Carson microbrite.

I've relied on the wet fingernail test to identify bevel sets, but it's not 100% reliable, especially near the toe.

With this microscope, I point it down straight at the apex and move the razor across:

apex animate.gif

Some observations:

1. The apex is totally invisible near the heel. This section is HHT-3 already.
  2. As it moves towards the toe, a dark line becomes visible and then stronger and stronger.

This part of the edge does not reflect any light to the naked eye under the strongest light. But it does not pass any HHT. I tried TNT and it was border line, maybe 85%.
  3. I then continued to hone until the apex is invisible across the entire edge.
  4. From this point, I quickly finished off the scienceofsharp "simple" process, taking maybe 5 minutes.
This edge is HHT-4 very consistent and HHT-5 in some sections. This is a GD66.

This is the keenest edge I've ever honed and being able to visually confirm bevel sets makes me hopeful that this is a repeatable process.

I hope this helps someone.

It may be simply that the heel edge curves slightly, and the scope goes out of focus.

Yes, a good scope will definitely up your honing game. You can’t fix what you cannot see.

While USB scopes are great, the are time consuming when honing. You can get almost as good a view with a Carson 60-100x MicroBrite $15. They are great for honing and for a quick look, just to ensure you are headed in the right direction.

The heel can be tricky because of the curved edge, the angle is constantly changing, and many razors also curve down towards the edge, so the spine edge where the razor rides on the stone changes, on some razors dramatically.

For those razors reprofiling the heel and moving the heel corner well away from the stabilizer or away from the curved end of the spine will allow the razor to sit flat on the stone.

Also check that you are not honing on the stabilizer.

I think you had a great little set of observations, tests, corrections and hopefully satisfaction. How does she shave?

I really appreciate my USB scope for checking the apex as you've done, as well as looking for full sharpie erasure if I'm correcting poor geometry on coarse stones.

Due to the harsh light source, they're not great at telling you much about bevel polish. They do OK, but beware they can trick you pretty easily, and a 'clean' bevel can actually be hiding scratches you'd never guess were actually there.

Best use is for big mechanical checks. Do the bevels meet at an apex? Has my stone erased all my sharpie marks after only a couple passes? (slurry can erase sharpie even when you're not in contact with the stone, so try to do this on clear water). Do I have a hole in the edge from pitting/rust? Once I've set the apex, do scratches on the next stone reach all the way to the edge? Things like that. Even that last one is a bit iffy (due to the harsh light issues).

Last edited:
I think you had a great little set of observations, tests, corrections and hopefully satisfaction. How does she shave?

Excellent. But I bumped into my glasses on the last stroke. So even better - a chance to hone a bit more!

I really appreciate my USB scope for checking the apex as you've done, as well as looking for full sharpie erasure if I'm correcting poor geometry on coarse stones.

Due to the harsh light source, they're not great at telling you much about bevel polish. They do OK, but beware they can trick you pretty easily, and a 'clean' bevel can actually be hiding scratches you'd never guess were actually there.

Best use is for big mechanical checks. Do the bevels meet at an apex? Has my stone erased all my sharpie marks after only a couple passes? (slurry can erase sharpie even when you're not in contact with the stone, so try to do this on clear water). Do I have a hole in the edge from pitting/rust? Once I've set the apex, do scratches on the next stone reach all the way to the edge? Things like that. Even that last one is a bit iffy (due to the harsh light issues).
Spot on my experience so far.

Top Bottom