What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

A SOD.jpg

Pre-Shave
Face wash with Cera Ve Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Vintage Williams
Brush
Rudy With Shavemac Knot
Bowl
Captains Choice Copper
Razor
RR Stealth, Prototype
Blade
Personna Medical Prep.
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Every Man Jack ASB
Fragrance
Beverly Hills, Polo Club
Rating
10/10
Comments
This is the second shave with my RR Stealth Slant, a prototype razor, with a Personna Medical Prep blade. Another excellent shave. Today’s brush was made by Rudy Vey and has a Shavemac D01 two band knot. This brush did a nice job of loading the bits of soap left in the puck. This was the 121st shave with the Williams soap. It is getting more difficult to load the soap since there is not much left to the puck. A perfect shave. Have a wonderful day and weekend, folks.

ZERO/10 today.

I had seen reviews of the Vector that noted the head coming loose whilst shaving, but I disregarded them. Until today.

Moving around my nose, it happened. The head spun and I was rewarded with the worst cut I've had in longer than I can remember. Fully 15 minutes of alum application were required to staunch the flow. Now, two hours later, it's still weeping.

After many, many stellar shaves, I don't think I can keep this one in my rotation. Life is short and my meds make it unappealing.

View attachment 1835421
Do you use a nylon washer between the handle and the cap screw? That should help to keep the head tight.

Preshave: Hot shower
Soap/Shave cream: Stirling Soap Christmas Eve
Brush: Perfecto Badger
Razor: Leaf Thorn
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (1)
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman
Rating: 9.8/10

Outstanding shave, which I pretty much expected because the Twig/Thorn and this Shark blade always give me really good results.
I pulled out Stirling's Christmas Eve, even though that holiday is long gone in our rear view mirrors just because I like the scent. Also got a great lather out of it.

proxy.php

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Do you use a nylon washer between the handle and the cap screw? That should help to keep the head tight.
As I mentioned to Shane, Blackland’s website says the washer is for shipping only. Pretty sure it even said it could be discarded. So, no, I never used it. I still have it; maybe I’ll give it a try, but, I loathe using washers with my razors.

99% sure I’m going to sell it. I have plenty of other razors to keep me busy.

As I mentioned to Shane, Blackland’s website says the washer is for shipping only. Pretty sure it even said it could be discarded. So, no, I never used it. I still have it; maybe I’ll give it a try, but, I loathe using washers with my razors.

99% sure I’m going to sell it. I have plenty of other razors to keep me busy.
I really think it will help keep the head tight. I use 5mm nylon washers from the hardware store and have never had a head loosen up.

Friday, April 26, 2024

Hardware
RazorRazoRock Game Changer 0.68P
BladeGillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (Yellow) [1]
BrushSemogue Pegasus Boar

Software
PreThayer’s Lavender
Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherVitos Extra Super Coco (Kilo) [8]
PostGabel’s Bay Rum

Rating
10 / 10

Notes
Vitos is, indeed, extra super. Also quite impressed with the 7 O’Clock Yellow — very sharp, very smooth.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I really think it will help keep the head tight. I use 5mm nylon washers from the hardware store and have never had a head loosen up.
I need to be clear: I think Blackland is an outstanding company, Shane is an example of how growing companies should treat their customers (Karve needs to follow his example), and I own a Titanium Blackbird and a Sabre that I love. I’m certain I’ll buy the new Sabre when its released (especially if it comes in Titanium).

I was a massive fan of the Vector until this mishap. Maybe its my technique, maybe its the design, maybe its an anomaly. I’m not going to bash the razor, but, I think it just isn’t something I’ll use again. To me, placing a washer is aesthetically unpleasant. Not a criticism; I won’t mix handles and finishes on my razors for the same reason.

I appreciate the suggestion, though. Cheers, mate!

ZERO/10 today.

I had seen reviews of the Vector that noted the head coming loose whilst shaving, but I disregarded them. Until today.

Moving around my nose, it happened. The head spun and I was rewarded with the worst cut I've had in longer than I can remember. Fully 15 minutes of alum application were required to staunch the flow. Now, two hours later, it's still weeping.

After many, many stellar shaves, I don't think I can keep this one in my rotation. Life is short and my meds make it unappealing.

View attachment 1835421
I have about 100 shaves with the Vector and haven't once had the head get loose. I also have a lot of shaves with the YAQI Romulus, which is similar, and no problems there either. The thought of the head getting loose does crop up in the back of my head sometimes, even though it's never happened. I do use a thin washer and maybe that helps, but I really don't think so. Just give that handle a little extra twist when tightening. Don't give up on the Vector so quickly as you will be rewarded with many excellent shaves.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I have about 100 shaves with the Vector and haven't once had the head get loose. I also have a lot of shaves with the YAQI Romulus, which is similar, and no problems there either. The thought of the head getting loose does crop up in the back of my head sometimes, even though it's never happened. I do use a thin washer and maybe that helps, but I really don't think so. Just give that handle a little extra twist when tightening. Don't give up on the Vector so quickly as you will be rewarded with many excellent shaves.
I mentioned in another reply that I have had many great shaves with the Vector. I think for the majority of people, it’s a perfect shaver. Shane’s reply to me got me thinking and closely analyzing my technique. It is likely the culprit. Also, it is the technique I settled on 45+ years ago. It works with every other razor I’ve handled.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Baker Street Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Schick I2 Hydro Magic
Blade: Schick (1)
Soap/Cream: Stirling The Fresher
Bowl: The CaYuen Workshop Medium Damascus Shaving Dish
Brush: AP Shave Co Emerald Handle 24mm SynBad Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm & Stirling The Fresher AS
Rating: 10/10 A comfortable efficient 3 pass BBS shave with one touch up, two weepers (caught a skin blemish again and created a small one on upper lip), no cuts or irritation. Still a very good shave in spite of the weeper.

full

Razor: Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip 1956
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum
Brush: AP ShaveCo Ruby G5B knot
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Soap: Stirling Boat Drinks ⛵🦜

Pre shave: Kyle's Routine, La Toja 🇪🇸
Aftershave: RazoRock Caribbean Holiday⛵🌴

---
It's a beautiful shave when I realize that a DFS is just right. Not chasing the BBS and giving myself an easy go of it is sometimes more delightful than anything else.
Not a single issue to be had and then to top it off with the scent of Pina Colada, priceless.

---
2 pass shave, WTG, XTG -delightful shave
Rating: 9.5/10 DFS+

Top Bottom