What's new

What TV series you watching?

Clickbait. Meh. As usual, my wife likes it, but I am not really getting into it.

1713806813670.jpeg

The New Look on Netflix. Set in the world of fashion, an interesting account of France right at the end of WW2. Coco Chanel collaborating with the Nazi’s, Christian Dior desperatly trying to rescue his sister - an imprisoned member of the resistance.

Oh and Dakota Fanning…..I hope she gets some more good roles. I like her.
I thought I would say more on Ripley, given that Jason liked it so much and I agree with his thinking. Production values seem very high in this series. They went to a lot of trouble to recreate a convincing mid-1950s Italy. The show is very dark, though. Very noir. I thought Andrew Scott did a great job. I found myself feeling empathetic to him even though he is a real psychopath and it is highly unclear what his motivations are. other than trying to stay alive. I suspect that some of what he did was because he wanted the Dickie character to love him, and he felt he was about to be abandoned. The sexual tension is ever present, but Ripley never seems to actually hook up with anyone, but stays convincing. One would think that I guy with his manipulative skills would be using them to seduce others, probably male and female, in his case. But he does not quite to that. I suppose the murder may be a substitute for that. I loved the way Freddie seemed to be able to see through Tom immediately. Birds of a feather, I suppose. There is healthy dose of the old film noir trope of gay men being not so beneath the surface evil and calculating. Potentially off-putting I suppose, but it fits the genre.

The characters seem complex but believable. Part of Tom taking on Dickie's persona is believable because Tom himself is ambivalent. I thought Dakota Fanning played her character is a very convincing way. It was sometimes hard to pin her down. Sometimes she seemed nearly dowdy, boring, dull, low energy, needy. One could see how Dickie could become bored with her, and how she would understand that he was. Other times she seemed highly perceptive, appealing, sexy. Someone who could take charge of things.

The inspector was great. Trying his best to do a good job. Aware that he seemed to not understand all that was going on.

All of the acting. The father who was obviously disappointed in Dickie's choices, but to some extent supported him and loved him anyway.

All of the art references!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I thought I would say more on Ripley, given that Jason liked it so much and I agree with his thinking. Production values seem very high in this series. They went to a lot of trouble to recreate a convincing mid-1950s Italy. The show is very dark, though. Very noir. I thought Andrew Scott did a great job. I found myself feeling empathetic to him even though he is a real psychopath and it is highly unclear what his motivations are. other than trying to stay alive. I suspect that some of what he did was because he wanted the Dickie character to love him, and he felt he was about to be abandoned. The sexual tension is ever present, but Ripley never seems to actually hook up with anyone, but stays convincing. One would think that I guy with his manipulative skills would be using them to seduce others, probably male and female, in his case. But he does not quite to that. I suppose the murder may be a substitute for that. I loved the way Freddie seemed to be able to see through Tom immediately. Birds of a feather, I suppose. There is healthy dose of the old film noir trope of gay men being not so beneath the surface evil and calculating. Potentially off-putting I suppose, but it fits the genre.

The characters seem complex but believable. Part of Tom taking on Dickie's persona is believable because Tom himself is ambivalent. I thought Dakota Fanning played her character is a very convincing way. It was sometimes hard to pin her down. Sometimes she seemed nearly dowdy, boring, dull, low energy, needy. One could see how Dickie could become bored with her, and how she would understand that he was. Other times she seemed highly perceptive, appealing, sexy. Someone who could take charge of things.

The inspector was great. Trying his best to do a good job. Aware that he seemed to not understand all that was going on.

All of the acting. The father who was obviously disappointed in Dickie's choices, but to some extent supported him and loved him anyway.

All of the art references!

Excellent summary. It seemed like just about everyone Tom ran across got this “something is off with that guy” vibe. But no one could ever pin it down. Have you seen Sugar on Apple TV yet? It’s got that same noir vibe. I’m pretty sure they are in LA too. So very LA Noir. It’s not overwhelming great, doubt it wins anything. But it’s a good noir detective show.

Well the TV Series line up is sort of disappointing, as the story lines are lame, or technical advice is lame. IMHO we got more stuff to watch, or less quality, and decent content.

Thought the Hollyweird writers, and actors strike was resolved? Apparently the people do the production of many show don't have much quality to work with. We got over 100 channel and streaming service to watch, but not much meat n potatoes to choose from.

Was watching the show on CBS, Fire Country the other night the Cal Fire people were dealing with a Fire Tornado, and I said self, this show is lame as can be.

Fire Cop show 911 is or was doing a three parter about Cruise Ship in distress, the story line was like Poseidon Adventure, but was so unreal, it sucked big time.
Not a fan of that formula. There is a formula I do enjoy and on CBS you can watch Elsbeth to get it. It's the Columbo formula, wherein you see a crime and know who committed it but have to wait to find out how detective catches the crook. Same formula on Peacock and it's called Poker Face.

Excellent summary. It seemed like just about everyone Tom ran across got this “something is off with that guy” vibe. But no one could ever pin it down. Have you seen Sugar on Apple TV yet? It’s got that same noir vibe. I’m pretty sure they are in LA too. So very LA Noir. It’s not overwhelming great, doubt it wins anything. But it’s a good noir detective show.
Sugar sounds good. LA is such a good city for noir.

<It seemed like just about everyone Tom ran across got this “something is off with that guy” vibe. But no one could ever pin it down.>

Yes, absolutely. As if the lights were on, but there was no one at home. And then when they were around him for a while, they frequently began to feel sympathetic toward him. Just like the viewer does. I think the inspector included. Not Freddie, though. And not Marge, either.

And I think Tom knew this about himself. So he expended a lot of energy trying to seem empathetic. Putting things in Dickie's letters about how good a guy Tom was, etc. Andrew Scott did a great job. Dickie is an interesting comparison. Dickie was not really a nice guy either. He wore it more on his sleeve, though.

"Manhunt," drama (based on the factual history) of the attempts to capture John Wilkes Booth following his assassination of President Abraham Lincoln.

+++++ for our tastes (cinematography, acting, costumes, period piece, theme, etc.). Quite the excellent production!

Last edited:
Top Bottom