What's new

Yet Another Journal of Razors and Blades and Stuff

I suppose thinking about the last several posts, all I really do is put a familiar blade in the razor and do at least four shaves. Then I switch to a blade that I am less certain about and I can usually make some informed guesses about the blade since the memory of my familiar blade is fresh in my head. Sometimes, the first shave isn't very good and it takes a second or third shave to get a realistic idea about the blade. The fact that it isn't performing at it's best out of the wrapper definitely factors into my opinion about it just as the decline curve does. I have no patients for blades that don't perform their best until sometime on the second shave, it better start waking up by the end of the first shave for me! Others want a blade to last a full week, this used to be a thing I read all the time, and think that it's OK for the first two full shaves to be sub par. Further, if I only used a blade once, I wouldn't have enough time to learn anything and I guess I would use a tuck of them before deciding. I usually follow up with a blade that I think the new blade is closest to and may go back for another after that! An example of this are Dorco Primes which I consider to be a sharp minus blade, not a medium plus. I immediately followed up with a Nacet to confirm that they perform close, but the Nacet is sharper(blade feel is very close).

In fact, that's how I ended up with a blade stash large enough for several lifetimes; I didn't have as many razors and when I found blades that I liked, I bought hundreds each. Whether I knew that my preference might change or not, I thought at the time that since those blades worked with a couple of razors that I had that they would work with most that I might acquire in the future.
That’s why I have yet to buy 100 of any. I figured I was just here to get some help getting my Henson mild to work for me. Once I did that, I’d figure out what blade works best and stock up then.

But then I got sucked in trying to get that mythical no drama BBS shave that everyone talks about. Now I’m getting better shaves with several razors, but since I still haven’t even settled on one yet, I haven’t done any blade experimentation either, beyond casually trying a few that I’ve acquired here and there. So I still have yet to stock up on any single blade.

Top Bottom