What's new

68 Year Old SR Rookie

Well, day two has good and less than good. The good part is, I seemed to have better control over the blade and didn't draw a drip of blood.

The less than good is, my razor seemed to tug more and left a bit of discomfort. I'm chalking that up to poor technique on my initial shave that may have compromised the blade edge. I carefully stropped today and looked through a loup - it seems okay, a bit better after the strop.

My stone collection was based on kitchen knives, so I wasn't refining to a razor edge. With the stones I have I can only reach an estimated equivalent of a JIS 6000. So, I'm wondering if I should touch up with my stones now, or wait a few days until I get a finer stone? What do you think.

Conventional wisdom says you can jump up to true finishers from the 5-8k synthetic range. Depending on the synthetic stone (how well it polishes) and the finisher (how abrasive rich is it, how much juice does it have to refine after the last synthetic).

I’ve been playing with a strict synthetic setup recently, to test how that edge shaves vs the next finisher, ending at a very refined 8k, Naniwa Fuji. I’ve tried shaving off every synthetic in my setup from 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8k, and the 8k shaves best. It’s a fairly comfortable shave, but not as keen as I’d like. Can tug a bit, doesn’t deliver a totally close shave. Takes off most of a days stubble but not all.

My favorite cheap strop that can bump a finished edge back up is clean old denim over MDF, with some green Chromium Oxide spread lightly over the denim. Brings a tired edge back for many shaves. Ballpark 3-5 strokes per side. Probably not as good as a great finishing stone, but a pretty decent, inexpensive stop gap while you figure out which one you want to start with.

One man’s 2c.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Welcome! Sounds like things are going well, keep at it. As others have stated, you want that razor functioning well. How you get there will be up to you, but plenty of suggestions, sometimes hard to figure out which way to go. Enjoy the journey!

There are many paths to the top of the mountain, each with its own bumps.

Stropping is important. I normally go about 30 laps on linen and 60 laps on leather between shaves. Linen is a natural abrasive. Razors love linen.

You will eventually need a finishing stone that is finer than 6k (6000-grit). Again, lots of choices. As much as I love natural stones, I enjoy the edges and have learned a lot from using this stone:

1713615447947.png

“I carefully stropped today and looked through a loup - it seems okay, a bit better after the strop.”

You want to look straight down on the edge. If you see any shiny reflections, that is where the bevels are not meeting or micro chip or rolled edge, both will feel harsh or can cut you.

If you see reflections, likely you will need to go to the stones. A 10 or12k may help.

Tugging is/can be an indicator of edge failing. Watch your pressure when stropping. Paddle strops can magnify pressure and easily roll an edge.

Almost meeting
1 ALMOST SET.jpg

Fully meeting

2  FULLY SET.jpg

^
I have been struggling to use this technique and then, voila, yesterday I was able to see two sections near the heel where the apex is not fully formed on a razor that I have been struggling with. For me, the key was to use less light - in my case, the natural light coming through a window without direct sunlight. Yay!

You should really have that razor honed by someone that knows how to hone a razor. Unless you paid them to professionally hone it you shaved off a factory edge.Having it done by someone that knows how to hone would be your go to standard for an edge.

As of now you have no idea what to expect from an edge.

Top Bottom