What's new

What 2nd safety razor should I get?

Does GC 68 still performs that bad even with many other different blades?
Just to make it clear, that’s only my experience so I felt I needed to share. But keep in mind that a lot of people love the razor and find it better than the Rockwell. It’s not a bad razor for everyone and I think you already know that.

Answering your question, I’ve tried them all. None worked.

Were you using SB or OC base plates?
SB.

GC 68 and 84 is what equivalent plate on 6S. Their blade gap doesn’t seem to correlate in paper.

Do you have any other razor with interchangeable plates in your arsenal that comes very close to 6S performance?

The GC feels so different to me that I wouldn’t compare it to any Rockwell plate.

The geometry, the angle, the positive exposure… it’s a completely different design.

The 6S is my only interchangeable razor. But if I were to choose one close in performance it would be my Fatip piccolo. And comfort as well.

All the rest in my collection are very well used and liked. All my vintages, R41, progress, 37C etc… but the Rockwell is alone up there, number one.

There’s really no other that I can compare it directly.

To be honest, one thing I worry about adjustable is the fact that it has internal mechanisms which is a variable unlike fix plates.

The dial may have a possiblity of rotating while you shave. It has no setting lock.

FWIW, there's no way a Gillette adjustable (Fatboy, Slim, or Superadjustable) dial will rotate while you shave. You could maybe forcibly move it while you have the head down, but that's a different thing that I would very much not recommend doing anyway.

Even my Muramasa, which is continuously adjustable, will not budge one bit when it's tightened.

I can see the desire for swappable base plates though. It's a nice design.

The Game Changer is an excellent razor. I also have a 6S. The GC has a lower profile head, making it easier for me under the nose especially. In terms of “aggressiveness” the .68 gives me similar results as the Rockwell on plate 3. The .76 I find similar to the Rockwell on plate 4. And the .84 is close to the 5 plate. That’s just my experience. The shave is different enough from the Rockwell to give me reason to reach for each. The main difference being the slimmer profile on the GC, it feels nimbler in the hand, less bulky, more maneuverable. Both give me great results.

The GC feels so different to me that I wouldn’t compare it to any Rockwell plate.

The geometry, the angle, the positive exposure… it’s a completely different design.

The 6S is my only interchangeable razor. But if I were to choose one close in performance it would be my Fatip piccolo. And comfort as well.

You seem to prefer 6S and Fatip Piccolo. One common thing about these 2 are blade exposure. Perhaps positive exposure wrecks your skin?

By any chance you own Henson AL13 in your arsenal?

Last edited:
You seem to prefer 6S and Fatip Piccolo. One common thing about these 2 are blade exposure. Perhaps positive exposure wrecks your skin?

By any chance you own Henson AL13 in your arsenal?
I wouldn’t narrow it down to exposure only.

The piccolo has practically no gap, but there is quite a bit of exposure. I think there’s more to it than one single design feature.

The R41 is exposure king and I have wonderful shaves with it. It even lacks blade rigidity and the outcome isn’t affected.

The game changer is a mystery to me. I wish I had a better story to tell, because the razor is a beauty to look at.

Edit: no Henson.

I have a 6S. For my taste it is so darn heavy, I find it difficult to control. I mean this in a relative sense (compared to othet razors) A nice mild bit efficient razor like a Mule R89 is so balanced and tactile, it will really help you pergect your technique.

Well I'm going to muddy the waters. For a mild, little to no blade feel shave, I'll suggest a vintage & a modern.

Vintage, start your journey into vintage with a Gillette Tech. Mild, smooth, but can deliver a superb shave. Just one baseplate, though.
Modern, I'm a fan of Timeless, specifically in titanium. Get the .68 baseplate & you'll be rewarded with a smooth, effortless shave. Get the .95 baseplate & your shave will still be delightful, but the efficiency is higher. There is a difference in materials, & for me, the titanium is hands down the smoothest shaving material of the Timeless razors.

But if your budget won't accommodate the Timeless, get the Tech. You won't have an adjustable randomly change settings unless your thumb or fingers rotate the knob during your shave. A week of shaves & you'll have how to hold the razor down pat & hitting the dial accidently won't be an issue any longer. If you want to have flexibility in your shave regarding how mild or efficient you want your shave to be, I suggest finding a vintage Gillette Slim. They're a marvelous shaver.

Whatever you decide, please let us know. And most importantly, enjoy your shaves!

Well I'm going to muddy the waters. For a mild, little to no blade feel shave, I'll suggest a vintage & a modern.

Vintage, start your journey into vintage with a Gillette Tech. Mild, smooth, but can deliver a superb shave. Just one baseplate, though.
Modern, I'm a fan of Timeless, specifically in titanium. Get the .68 baseplate & you'll be rewarded with a smooth, effortless shave. Get the .95 baseplate & your shave will still be delightful, but the efficiency is higher. There is a difference in materials, & for me, the titanium is hands down the smoothest shaving material of the Timeless razors.

But if your budget won't accommodate the Timeless, get the Tech. You won't have an adjustable randomly change settings unless your thumb or fingers rotate the knob during your shave. A week of shaves & you'll have how to hold the razor down pat & hitting the dial accidently won't be an issue any longer. If you want to have flexibility in your shave regarding how mild or efficient you want your shave to be, I suggest finding a vintage Gillette Slim. They're a marvelous shaver.

Whatever you decide, please let us know. And most importantly, enjoy your shaves!

Truth to be told, I have visited Timeless website so many times before.
It was my first choice, drooling to have it when I’m about to shift into DE shaving.

However, being new into this hobby , I do not have any idea what aggressiveness suits me.
I was overwhelmed until now how vast the choices are, not to mentioned the gaps and exposure variables.

I did not pull the trigger because I do not want to regret acquiring such beauty and knows nothing of it.
That is why I ended up with Rockwell 6S being inter-changeable plates and neutral exposure. (staying on the safe side).

I have questions if I may kindly ask, I assume you have both 0.68 and 0.94.

- If I will to get the TIBYOR 0.68 (set) can I just buy the 0.95 (baseplate only) separately could I swap it out?
Base plate are interchangeable or do I need to buy separate / dedicated cap and handle for 0.95?

0.95 might be too aggressive for me?
Light facial hair here and only shave with Rockwell’s R3: 0.019" (0.48 mm) and R4: 0.024" (0.61 mm)

- How long is their delivery lead time usually takes?
- Where does it fall in terms of blade exposure, positive or neutral?
- What is the slim edition all about?
- Did you get the matte or polished and why?
- Did you get the crown or spiral handle and why?
- Is the cap low profile compare to Rockwell's?
- Is there blade overhang?
- Did you opt to include cleaning brush?
- Anything else I missed and should be aware of?

Last edited:
I have questions if I may kindly ask, I assume you have both 0.68 and 0.94.

- If I will to get the TIBYOR 0.68 (set) can I just buy the 0.95 (baseplate only) separately could I swap it out?
Base plate are interchangeable or do I need to buy separate / dedicated cap and handle for 0.95?

I’ve used every version of the Timeless ti razors so hopefully I can help with your questions.

The baseplates are interchangeable. You can use both the .68 and .95 baseplates with the same top cap and same handle.

0.95 might be too aggressive for me?
Light facial hair here and only shave with Rockwell’s R3: 0.019" (0.48 mm) and R4: 0.024" (0.61 mm)

Start with the .68 and see how it works for you. Timeless has a 30 day return policy if you aren’t happy with your purchase.

My preference is strongly for the OC baseplates and scalloped top cap regardless of gap. It’s a magical combination that, for me, works so much better than the SB or Scalloped baseplates. Even with very little growth.

- How long is their delivery lead time usually takes?
- Where does it fall in terms of blade exposure, positive or neutral?
- What is the slim edition all about?
- Did you get the matte or polished and why?
- Did you get the crown or spiral handle and why?
- Is the cap low profile compare to Rockwell's?
- Is there blade overhang?
- Did you opt to include cleaning brush?
- Anything else I missed and should be aware of?

They ship quickly for items in stock.

Very slightly positive blade exposure (.002) for the .95. Neutral blade exposure (.000) for the .68.

Ignore the slim for now. It’s more aggressive than the .95.

Matte or polished and handle choice don’t matter. Pick what you like best.

Head is maybe very slightly more compact than the Rockwell. The titanium Timeless is a much lighter razor overall though.

A slight amount of blade overhang, which I like. No brush.

Finally, the most important part: The sweet spot for Timeless razors are their OC baseplates (in either .68 or .95) paired with a scalloped top cap. That combination is magical, so SMOOTH, and far surpasses the SB or Scalloped baseplates, imho. Whisker growth doesn’t matter. My .68 OC is my go-to razor with 1 day of growth and 7 days of growth.

Good luck in your search. I have yet to find anything better than Timeless for me. Ymmv.

Last edited:
Finally, the most important part: The sweet spot for Timeless razors are their OC baseplates (in either .68 or .95) paired with a scalloped top cap. That combination is magical, so SMOOTH, and far surpasses the SB or Scalloped baseplates, imho. Whisker growth doesn’t matter. My .68 OC is my go-to razor with 1 day of growth and 7 days of growth.

Good luck in your search. I have yet to find anything better than Timeless for me. Ymmv.

Thanks for chipping in, appreciate it. This is getting really interesting.

How many point of contacts, holds the blade?
I can see just the center of top cap holding the blade and nothing else. Is there any blade misalignment of sort, snug fit?

Excuse my ignorance but I have really no idea what those scalloped, OC kind of combinations will do exactly for me.

I would guess it gives you a closer shave because its bare open near your skin?
Would that makes it more aggressive, more blade feel?
Beginner here so I usually just opt for solid kind.

However, I see Timeless offers dual comb option.
It’s a combination of SB, OC or scalloped on each side of the base plate.
Cap only smooth or scalloped options.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I can’t say enough good things about Timeless. I love their Ti Crown handles and the 0.68OC in both titanium and stainless steel are a joy to use.

I prefer the polished finish but I hand polish the matte and that brings out a beautiful, subtle shine.

I did find the titanium full razor a little too light for me and switched the titanium razor head out for SS and use it with the TI Crown handle and love it. Razor balance and weight is such a personal thing, so as always, YMMV.

How many point of contacts, holds the blade?
I can see just the center of top cap holding the blade and nothing else. Is there any blade misalignment of sort, snug fit?

The Timeless razors support the blade very well and close to the cutting edge. It’s by far one of the better designs if you like a well-supported blade (which I do).

Excuse my ignorance but I have really no idea what those scalloped, OC kind of combinations will do exactly for me.

I would guess it gives you a closer shave because its bare open near your skin?
Would that makes it more aggressive, more blade feel?
Beginner here so I usually just opt for solid kind.

The OC does cut a tiny bit closer but the difference is negligible. The biggest difference I notice is how much smoother the OC is compared to the SB or Scalloped.

Some people only like OC razors with multiple days of growth. I use my Timeless OC even with only 1 day of growth.

Forgot to mention this in my previous post, but there are zero blade alignment issues with Timeless razors. They have very tight tolerances.
Thanks, appreciate all the details.

I am going through all these recommendations and making sure no stone left unturned.

Unfortunately Karve is defintely out of the picture, for some reason they do not have the option to ship here.

Also read a lot of customer complaints about their delivery issues.

I have prepared a separate cart for timeless in case I made up my mind later.

Interested with their Titanium master kit. Since it comes with 3 plates and 2 caps. I threw in an extra handle and stand to complete a 2nd razor.

Hopefully its the most dollar saving option because price insanely got higher after slapping tax, shipping cost etc. 300 usd more.

My wife is asking me what present do I want for our upcoming anniversary.
Guess what immediately pops into my mind?

A 2nd new shiny razor of course !!!

So what’s next after my Rockwell 6S?
It’s my first DE safety razor known for having 6 different plates to choose from and forgiving for a newbie like me.
One month now into DE shaving and I know I should stick to honing my techniques rather than acquiring another razor.
But who am I to resist to a such wonderful present?

I have no issues with Rockwell 6S, it’s a fantastic razor. Happy that I chose this as my first and I can use this for many years to come.
But like many others here, having more than 1 razor in your den is what many of us dream of.
Its also good to have a backup in this hobby when traveling.

Having a sensitive skin, what am I really looking for?
I am comfortable shaving between plate R3 or R4, higher than that I find it aggressive for now.

Below are Rockwell’s respective blade gaps:
https://support.rockwellrazors.com/...at-are-the-blade-gaps-for-each-of-your-series

R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014" (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019" (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024" (0.61 mm)
R5: 0.027" (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031" (0.79 mm)

- I would like the same level of aggressiveness yet will not bite me easily.
- Would also prefer interchangeable base plates.
- Nice blade fitting without the need to manually align.
- Newbie friendly safety razor.

I have done some research and found RazoRock Gamechanger, not sure if this is the right candidate.
On paper, I assume 0.68-P SB base plate is equivalent to Rockwell’s plate R5.
Although many says it’s like plate R3 only, correct me if I am wrong.

I have it on standby in my cart, SB base plates 0.68-P, 0.76-P and 0.84-P all with its own dedicated caps and handles.

I know it’s a lot but total equivalent price of all three is comparatively just the same ball park when I bought my 6S before.
I could probably save $$$ if I drop the separate handles and caps then just buy different base plates. (Just like Rockwell 6S)
But the advantage would be not to keep fiddling with changing the base plates during your shave.

Do I need to include 0.68 Open comb base plate?
Would I even need this at all if I get all those three SB base plates mentioned above?

I’m open for other recommendations and what are your thoughts?
Not sure what your budget is. If you like Rockwell there is the Rockwell T2 adjustable that uses the same style adjustment mechanism as found in the classic Gillette adjustables from the 1950's to 1980's. Very well regarded and one of only two current production razors with this type of mechanism.

FYI, if you go with the Gamechanger, you can throw in a Razorock Adjust razor (rebranded Baili) into your cart for under $15 as it is the other current production razor with this type of mechanism. I did the same with a recent holiday season sale and this razor works nicely with settings that range from mild to moderate aggressiveness.

Happy Anniversary!

My wife is asking me what present do I want for our upcoming anniversary.
Guess what immediately pops into my mind?

A 2nd new shiny razor of course !!!

So what’s next after my Rockwell 6S?
It’s my first DE safety razor known for having 6 different plates to choose from and forgiving for a newbie like me.
One month now into DE shaving and I know I should stick to honing my techniques rather than acquiring another razor.
But who am I to resist to a such wonderful present?

I have no issues with Rockwell 6S, it’s a fantastic razor. Happy that I chose this as my first and I can use this for many years to come.
But like many others here, having more than 1 razor in your den is what many of us dream of.
Its also good to have a backup in this hobby when traveling.

Having a sensitive skin, what am I really looking for?
I am comfortable shaving between plate R3 or R4, higher than that I find it aggressive for now.

Below are Rockwell’s respective blade gaps:
https://support.rockwellrazors.com/...at-are-the-blade-gaps-for-each-of-your-series

R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014" (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019" (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024" (0.61 mm)
R5: 0.027" (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031" (0.79 mm)

- I would like the same level of aggressiveness yet will not bite me easily.
- Would also prefer interchangeable base plates.
- Nice blade fitting without the need to manually align.
- Newbie friendly safety razor.

I have done some research and found RazoRock Gamechanger, not sure if this is the right candidate.
On paper, I assume 0.68-P SB base plate is equivalent to Rockwell’s plate R5.
Although many says it’s like plate R3 only, correct me if I am wrong.

I have it on standby in my cart, SB base plates 0.68-P, 0.76-P and 0.84-P all with its own dedicated caps and handles.

I know it’s a lot but total equivalent price of all three is comparatively just the same ball park when I bought my 6S before.
I could probably save $$$ if I drop the separate handles and caps then just buy different base plates. (Just like Rockwell 6S)
But the advantage would be not to keep fiddling with changing the base plates during your shave.

Do I need to include 0.68 Open comb base plate?
Would I even need this at all if I get all those three SB base plates mentioned above?

I’m open for other recommendations and what are your thoughts?
I agree with some of the others that Karve razors are hard to beat. I have a copper and a SS (polished both of them myself) and I only have one plate for each, but I believe that some (perhaps the Christopher Bradley) has multiple plates

Attachments

• DSC04154.jpeg
    DSC04154.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC04158.jpeg
    DSC04158.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom