What's new

What 2nd safety razor should I get?

My wife is asking me what present do I want for our upcoming anniversary.
Guess what immediately pops into my mind?

A 2nd new shiny razor of course !!!

So what’s next after my Rockwell 6S?
It’s my first DE safety razor known for having 6 different plates to choose from and forgiving for a newbie like me.
One month now into DE shaving and I know I should stick to honing my techniques rather than acquiring another razor.
But who am I to resist to a such wonderful present?

I have no issues with Rockwell 6S, it’s a fantastic razor. Happy that I chose this as my first and I can use this for many years to come.
But like many others here, having more than 1 razor in your den is what many of us dream of.
Its also good to have a backup in this hobby when traveling.

Having a sensitive skin, what am I really looking for?
I am comfortable shaving between plate R3 or R4, higher than that I find it aggressive for now.

Below are Rockwell’s respective blade gaps:
https://support.rockwellrazors.com/...at-are-the-blade-gaps-for-each-of-your-series

R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014" (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019" (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024" (0.61 mm)
R5: 0.027" (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031" (0.79 mm)

- I would like the same level of aggressiveness yet will not bite me easily.
- Would also prefer interchangeable base plates.
- Nice blade fitting without the need to manually align.
- Newbie friendly safety razor.

I have done some research and found RazoRock Gamechanger, not sure if this is the right candidate.
On paper, I assume 0.68-P SB base plate is equivalent to Rockwell’s plate R5.
Although many says it’s like plate R3 only, correct me if I am wrong.

I have it on standby in my cart, SB base plates 0.68-P, 0.76-P and 0.84-P all with its own dedicated caps and handles.

I know it’s a lot but total equivalent price of all three is comparatively just the same ball park when I bought my 6S before.
I could probably save $$$ if I drop the separate handles and caps then just buy different base plates. (Just like Rockwell 6S)
But the advantage would be not to keep fiddling with changing the base plates during your shave.

Do I need to include 0.68 Open comb base plate?
Would I even need this at all if I get all those three SB base plates mentioned above?

I’m open for other recommendations and what are your thoughts?

Karve comes to mind. Best part is the head is a lower profile than you are used to with the Rockwell. So that gives you some variety with your shave. There is Blackwell, great reputation and good attention to detail. To be candid, for now you may want to stick with contemporary razors. If you got a Gillette Tech those can't bite you any more than a Dachshund can do a high jump. They are pretty mild and could be a good fit for sensitive skin. They are also a bargain price vintage razor.

Why not an adjustable this time, rather than another multi base plate model? For example, a closed comb Pearl Flexi?

I have the open comb Flexi. And if I had it to do over again, I'd do the solid bar closed comb. Don't care for the "raking" action of the combs so much. I also have the less expensive Yaqi "The Final Cut", and it's solid bar interpretation of that design is much preferred.

Until recently, I would do an entire 3 pass shave on one setting when using any adjustable, vintage or new production. Now I've taken to doing my passes on an aggressive setting, but dialing it down to "1" to do ATG under my nose and around the mouth and chin, which are my most nick-prone places.

I would find it tedious to do a base plate swap for that, I think.

Be sure to let us know how this ended!

[Because I was the first to suggest an adjustable. If you get one, I will then claim credit. There will then be much strutting about and ostentatious swagger. Jaw-jutting, chest puffed out kind of stuff.]

I am taking all your recommendations seriously and been watching youtube videos for more than an hour already.

To be honest, one thing I worry about adjustable is the fact that it has internal mechanisms which is a variable unlike fix plates.

The dial may have a possiblity of rotating while you shave. It has no setting lock.

Just found out that Yaqi final cut when you rotate the dial could even exceed 6 and goes all the way back to 1 which gives you setting 7 and so on? This is kinda confusing if you forgot about it.

Below is the cart waiting to be ordered. Still undecided but really leaning towards fix plates.

I can drop the .68 OC if its of no use to having 3 different SB plates. Could probably just get another cap and handle for the .84-P SB plate instead.

IMG_8579.png

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m one of the few people for whom the Overlander didn’t work, but that was early on in my shaving journey. I was going to try one again but several people commented, based on the razors I now have and love, it might be a bit too mild for me.

I don’t know how the Game Changer 0.68OC compares to the Timeless 0.68OC, but the Timeless is a perfect match for my skin and whiskers.

@WhiskerLess , I can’t offer any guarantees, but I would think you’d find a perfect match with one or more of the Game Changer options you have in your cart at the moment.

I am taking all your recommendations seriously and been watching youtube videos for more than an hour already.

To be honest, one thing I worry about adjustable is the fact that it has internal mechanisms which is a variable unlike fix plates.

The dial may have a possiblity of rotating while you shave. It has no setting lock.

Just found out that Yaqi final cut when you rotate the dial could even exceed 6 and goes all the way back to 1 which gives you setting 7 and so on? This is kinda confusing if you forgot about it.

Below is the cart waiting to be ordered. Still undecided but really leaning towards fix plates.

I can drop the .68 OC if its of no use to having 3 different SB plates. Could probably just get another cap and handle for the .84-P SB plate instead.

View attachment 1827060
Turns out I have a .84 GC as well. I consider it to be like shaving with a heavier, more efficient Tech. But since you don't have a Tech, that comparison will not mean much, I guess.

But here's the thing about blade gap. I have a Timeless Bronze at .68 blade gap.
20240322_220949~2.jpg

And the GC at .84 blade gap.
20231102_173541~2.jpg

Common sense suggests that .84 is more aggressive or efficient and more prone to drawing blood if used carelessly than a .68, right?

Nope. The Timeless bronze .68 is the more "dangerous" razor, while the .84 GC is the more "daily driver on autopilot" razor. And anyone who owns a bronze .68 will back me up on this.

Because blade gap and blade exposure, or "blade feel", are two different things.

And for the record, I have never had any adjustable change settings of its own accord while I use it, but it sounds like you aren't going to go the adjustable route.

Your loss. Mostly because you are going to miss out on a fantastic level of swagger. If Mussolini were alive today, he'd see me and think, "Now that is a man who understands swagger!"

My wife is asking me what present do I want for our upcoming anniversary.
Guess what immediately pops into my mind?

A 2nd new shiny razor of course !!!

So what’s next after my Rockwell 6S?
It’s my first DE safety razor known for having 6 different plates to choose from and forgiving for a newbie like me.
One month now into DE shaving and I know I should stick to honing my techniques rather than acquiring another razor.
But who am I to resist to a such wonderful present?

I have no issues with Rockwell 6S, it’s a fantastic razor. Happy that I chose this as my first and I can use this for many years to come.
But like many others here, having more than 1 razor in your den is what many of us dream of.
Its also good to have a backup in this hobby when traveling.

Having a sensitive skin, what am I really looking for?
I am comfortable shaving between plate R3 or R4, higher than that I find it aggressive for now.

Below are Rockwell’s respective blade gaps:
https://support.rockwellrazors.com/...at-are-the-blade-gaps-for-each-of-your-series

R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014" (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019" (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024" (0.61 mm)
R5: 0.027" (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031" (0.79 mm)

- I would like the same level of aggressiveness yet will not bite me easily.
- Would also prefer interchangeable base plates.
- Nice blade fitting without the need to manually align.
- Newbie friendly safety razor.

I have done some research and found RazoRock Gamechanger, not sure if this is the right candidate.
On paper, I assume 0.68-P SB base plate is equivalent to Rockwell’s plate R5.
Although many says it’s like plate R3 only, correct me if I am wrong.

I have it on standby in my cart, SB base plates 0.68-P, 0.76-P and 0.84-P all with its own dedicated caps and handles.

I know it’s a lot but total equivalent price of all three is comparatively just the same ball park when I bought my 6S before.
I could probably save $$$ if I drop the separate handles and caps then just buy different base plates. (Just like Rockwell 6S)
But the advantage would be not to keep fiddling with changing the base plates during your shave.

Do I need to include 0.68 Open comb base plate?
Would I even need this at all if I get all those three SB base plates mentioned above?

I’m open for other recommendations and what are your thoughts?
I have never owned a Rockwell razor, but I do own a RR GC .68P and RR GC .84P. The OC versions add a little bit of aggression and also works really well for if you have longer growth to deal with. Like if you have several days worth of whiskers to shave. this is where the OC razors shine.

The RR Gamechangers and the RR Lupo razors gets a lot of love on this forum and it is not without merit. To get a stainless steel razor at those prices is very attractive. I think you are on the right track though. If I knew what I know now I would have gotten the .76P plate with my RR GC. Now there are many, including myself that can get very nice and close shaves with the .68P plate, but it does take a bit more effort. The .84P plate that I have is great, but you have to pay a bit more attention to what you are doing. the .76P is a good compromise. It all depends on what you like. A bit milder then .68P. You can always get an extra plate.

I do not own an RR Lupo but many do and love them. Not sure which one that would be a good fit. I am sure that someone can chime in on that.

I hate to go against the grain here, but for me the game changer is the worst razor I’ve ever used.

Of all my 20 something razors, it’s the only one that wrecks my face no matter the angle, blade or pressure.

I can shave ATG with them all, from a tech to the R41 with a Bic blade, but even the .68 destroys my face (I have both 68 and 84).

I’ve said this and I’ll say it again, it’s the only razor that manages to feel a little aggressive and inefficient at the same time.

I’ve tried it over and over. Last time was a few days ago. Aftershave burned like hell, skin felt raw. Just horrible.

The 6S is my number one razor, and believe me when I say this, it’s NOTHING like the game changer.

If you’re looking for a similar “feel” on your face, they are worlds apart.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I hate to be against the grain here, but for me the game changer is the worst razor I’ve ever used.

Of all my 20 something razors, it’s the only one that wrecks my face no matter the angle, blade or pressure.

I can shave ATG with them all, from a tech to the R41 with a Bic blade, but even the .68 destroys my face (I have both 68 and 84).

I’ve said this and I’ll say it again, it’s the only razor that manages to feel a little aggressive and inefficient at the same time.

I’ve tried it over and over. Last time was a few days ago. Aftershave burned like hell, skin felt raw. Just horrible.

The 6S is my number one razor, and believe me when I say this, it’s NOTHING like the game changer.

It's always nice when someone has both razors and can compare. I've never had either the Rockwell 6S or 6C... nor a Game Changer. I had all the Lupo SS versions at one time.... other than the 0.58s... so 0.72 OC and SB and 0.95 OC and SB... Or "p" as they call them. I didn't use them enough to accurate describe the way they shaved for me. I only sold them because I was financing another purchase.

It's always nice when someone has both razors and can compare. I've never had either the Rockwell 6S or 6C... nor a Game Changer. I had all the Lupo SS versions at one time.... other than the 0.58s... so 0.72 OC and SB and 0.95 OC and SB... Or "p" as they call them. I didn't use them enough to accurate describe the way they shaved for me. I only sold them because I was financing another purchase.
I remember liking it initially and posting about it at that time. But soon after it became clear that it wasn’t working for me. At all.

I guess it was only a false first impression. Later on I’ve managed to have a few good shaves, but it didn’t convince me.

Other razors started not so great and turned awesome, but the GC remained a no no.

The Rockwell is indeed nothing like the Razorock. Geometry, comfort, feel, you name it.

I hate to go against the grain here, but for me the game changer is the worst razor I’ve ever used.

It is indeed good to hear from someone who has both 6S and GC. Appreciate that you stop by.

I have a few questions if you may.
Does GC 68 still performs that bad even with many other different blades?

Were you using SB or OC base plates?

GC 68 and 84 is what equivalent plate on 6S. Their blade gap doesn’t seem to correlate in paper.

Do you have any other razor with interchangeable plates in your arsenal that comes very close to 6S performance?

Karve comes to mind. Best part is the head is a lower profile than you are used to with the Rockwell. So that gives you some variety with your shave. There is Blackwell, great reputation and good attention to detail. To be candid, for now you may want to stick with contemporary razors. If you got a Gillette Tech those can't bite you any more than a Dachshund can do a high jump. They are pretty mild and could be a good fit for sensitive skin. They are also a bargain price vintage razor.

Will research on Karve, checking which plates are equivalent to Rockwell’s 6S R3 and R4 plates.

I’m one of the few people for whom the Overlander didn’t work, but that was early on in my shaving journey. I was going to try one again but several people commented, based on the razors I now have and love, it might be a bit too mild for me.

I don’t know how the Game Changer 0.68OC compares to the Timeless 0.68OC, but the Timeless is a perfect match for my skin and whiskers.

@WhiskerLess , I can’t offer any guarantees, but I would think you’d find a perfect match with one or more of the Game Changer options you have in your cart at the moment.

Also checking Timeless, will have to do some research.

Top Bottom