What's new

Karve Goatlander Brotherhood (KGB)

Do I see copper in your future? Let me help you out

View attachment 1827769

The copper certainly has its appeal, but my fave Overlander is the brass with a 3.25" (83mm) handle. It's the first one I bought and it's the one that got me hooked! I like all of my Overlanders, but the brass tops the rest. They all seem to shave the same, but the aluminum is noticeably different, obviously because of the weight difference.

Always a great shave with the Overlander, and that's without drama or irritation. Amazing.

Overlander_brass1.jpg

Had my first shave with an Overlander this morning — Aluminum, with a clear finish (which is nice). It was an amazing debut. I think this one's a keeper!

Friday, April 12, 2024

Hardware
RazorKarve Overlander (AL)
BladeTreet 7 Days Platinum [6]
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Cherry)

Software
PreThayer's Lavender
Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherColonel Conk Bay Rum [1]
PostLustray Blue Spice

Rating
8 / 10

Notes
Several firsts this morning: First try with the Karve Overlander (from BST, with thanks to kaufdrop27); first use of the Colonel Conk shave soap; and first splash with the Lustray Blue Spice. In order, then:
  • GOATlander indeed. Close, comfortable and very, very easy. On my sixth shave using the first edge of this 7 Days Platinum, and not even a hint of tug or "old blade" feel.
  • The Colonel will need more work. I expected it to perform similar to Mama Bear, which I used on the first part of the week, but the lather was even airier. It will take a few more turns to figure out what this soap likes. (And yet, despite the poor lather, the Overlander rose fully to the occasion.)
  • Lustray Blue Spice is very nice. As I posted over in the Clubman Friday thread: Is this the mystery blue juice that the barber (always a retired marine) used to spray on the back of my neck after end of cut cleanup in those cheap North Texas barbershops years ago? I don't know, but it sure seems like it. At $8 / 14 oz, I guess it'll be with me for a while. Looks like you can also buy a full gallon for under $30 from some barber supply sites . . . . I'm at least considering it.
Happy Friday, y'all.

Had my first shave with an Overlander this morning — Aluminum, with a clear finish (which is nice). It was an amazing debut. I think this one's a keeper!
Thanks for highlighting the clear finish. I totally missed that when I ordered my black. I'll choose it next time around . . . and also order the matching stand at the same time. I'm currently finding out why that's a good idea. :)laugh:)

April 13, 2024 Saturday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, stainless steel
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Soap: ARKO!
Brush: Cremo horse hair
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

This was a three pass shave. No weepers, nicks or irritation. Very close, very smooth!
I can always count on the Overlander to give a wonderful, no drama shave.

Enjoy your weekend!

SOTD 04_13_24.jpg

Weird shave today, felt like one of the best shaves in quite a while but ended up with more irritation than I've ever experienced with the Overlander (which is admittedly not saying much). I was trying out the Tatara blade which has worked really well in other razors, maybe I should just stick to Feather with this one.

1000017717.jpg

full

Karve Overlander SS | Noxzema Original | Gillette Platinum | Stirling's Glacial Strawberry Lemonade AS

Went a different route today. The ol' Noxzema, that cools an occasional sunburn, and surprisingly makes a great shave cream. It's very very slick ... though doesn't rinse easily. Yet the Overlander makes rinsing easier, with its wide lather channels. And, as usual, the Overlander delivered ... an uneventful three-pass shave. No drama, just a smooth face that doesn't feel like it's been shaved. Just the usual magnificent shave it seems to always deliver.

Weird shave today, felt like one of the best shaves in quite a while but ended up with more irritation than I've ever experienced with the Overlander (which is admittedly not saying much). I was trying out the Tatara blade which has worked really well in other razors, maybe I should just stick to Feather with this one.

View attachment 1830685
Perhaps next time try a different Tatara blade, just to see if it wasn't a bad blade.

The copper certainly has its appeal, but my fave Overlander is the brass with a 3.25" (83mm) handle. It's the first one I bought and it's the one that got me hooked! I like all of my Overlanders, but the brass tops the rest. They all seem to shave the same, but the aluminum is noticeably different, obviously because of the weight difference.

Always a great shave with the Overlander, and that's without drama or irritation. Amazing.

View attachment 1827871
Sweet Overlander! 😉. Great shape. The 3.25 “ handle in brass is perfect weight balance. I ended up getting a SS one recently in the 3.5” - great balance.

Tried a Bic in my Overlander today.
It performed unbelievably well. Almost like a Feather, but smoother. World class shave & post-shave feel.

My last shave was a new Bic in the Bison and it was good, but not great like this paring. It didn’t feel as sharp as this blade. Notable difference.

I can’t tell if there’s significant sample-to-sample variation from blade to blade with these Bics or if it’s just that picky about razors.

First time using the G5C brush and Lider, I was blown away by both.
The G5C does everything well, and the Lider smells great and has great performance.

Overall a great shave, maybe my best one to date.

IMG_4746.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I can’t tell if there’s significant sample-to-sample variation from blade to blade with these Bics or if it’s just that picky about razors.

More variation than a blade costing 15¢ should have. When they’re good, they’re stratospheric. When they’re bad, they’re still good, but not “Zoo-ee-mama you will never believe this!” good.

Top Bottom