View attachment 1819742

View attachment 1819743

View attachment 1819744

And from my IPhone, taken within the past few months

View attachment 1819746
View attachment 1819748
View attachment 1819751
View attachment 1819749

Honestly, I think the image quality of the iPhone pics may be better.
I guess where the DSLR would shine is lower light photography. Phones with that small of a sensor suffer from a lot of noise at low light levels. The larger sensor really helps there.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I guess where the DSLR would shine is lower light photography. Phones with that small of a sensor suffer from a lot of noise at low light levels. The larger sensor really helps there.
We did take a lot of evening and night photos and they turned out great. It does depend on the DSLR. Before I bought my current camera, I used a Canon 1D Mark IV. It was Canon’s top sports and wildlife camera but it’s horrible in low light. I still use it from time to time for two lens situations but only when the light is good.

For sure. DSLRs have a bunch of huge advantages...bigger/better sensors, dedicated/specialized software, hardware optimized for photography, and most importantly, the ability to leverage a wide array of top-shelf optics. In any given year, even a moderately priced DSLR will signicantly outperform a camera phone.

However, a top of the line camera phone today seams (to me) to outperform a top-shelf DSLR from 25 years ago. With that in mind, and with the rate of technological advancement being exponential in nature, a camera phone 20 years from now will likely perform as well as a top of the line DSLR from today. Imagine in 25 years, your kid being able to quickly snap off a picture that an AI would clean up and tweak to suit your son or daughter's artistic objectives. The AI would not have 10,000 hours of experience to apply, but millions.

Think about what programs like Dall-e will be like 25 years from now. Combine that with an iPhone 40 Pro Max and hand it to a person with maybe one semester of art appreciation? Some pretty, pretty, pretty nice snapshots will follow.

For sure. DSLRs have a bunch of huge advantages...bigger/better sensors, dedicated/specialized software, hardware optimized for photography, and most importantly, the ability to leverage a wide array of top-shelf optics. In any given year, even a moderately priced DSLR will signicantly outperform a camera phone.

However, a top of the line camera phone today seams (to me) to outperform a top-shelf DSLR from 25 years ago. With that in mind, and with the rate of technological advancement being exponential in nature, a camera phone 20 years from now will likely perform as well as a top of the line DSLR from today. Imagine in 25 years, your kid being able to quickly snap off a picture that an AI would clean up and tweak to suit your son or daughter's artistic objectives. The AI would not have 10,000 hours of experience to apply, but millions.

Think about what programs like Dall-e will be like 25 years from now. Combine that with an iPhone 40 Pro Max and hand it to a person with maybe one semester of art appreciation? Some pretty, pretty, pretty nice snapshots will follow.
That's what I get from spending the better part of the past 8 years in Intelligent Automation...an overactive imagination.

Indeed 25 years of CMOS image sensor development will not go by without serious improvement. Especially in the world of electronics. You can also do a lot of processing on the images that they could not in the past. Besides most of the digital images that we view today are not in RAW format but a lossy compression format and that makes a difference as well.

However, if we compare today's DSLRs with today's camera phones there is no getting around that the amount of light per pixel that you get in a DSLR vs a camera. This is solely due to the size difference of the sensor. More light per pixel equals better quality of picture. They cannot physically make the sensor in the camera phone the same size, so it will always suffer from this issue.
1711711169555.png

This is a picture of the different image sensors. In a full frame DSLR you would have the top sensor that is 864 sq mm and for cell phones they use the 1/1.7 or the 1/2.5 sensor. This means that in a full frame sensor vs 1/1.7 sensor there is only 1/20th of the light per pixel in the phone camera sensor as compared to the full frame if they have the same number of pixels.

Admittingly they have advanced very very very far on the phone cameras and their picture quality and being able to handle more challenging situations to take nice high quality pictures and video. There is no doubt about that and for the great majority of situations they are perfectly adequate. Still there are physical limitations in sensors and optics that a camera phone cannot overcome due to its size. This is never going to change, unless we go back to.....
1711710844848.png

Completely agree with @BigAlVista and @blethenstrom. Of course, the best camera is the one you have with you. More often than not, that's one's phone. The gap between DSLRs and phone cameras is narrowing, but there are fundamental factors a phone can't match. Sensor size is one, but also don't forget optics. A high quality lens will also produce better results. That means the raw data will be better for the DSLR, but the amount of processing that goes on in a camera and the huge amount of post-processing that many people do further narrows that gap. I still enjoy taking pictures looking through a viewfinder of a real camera much more than a phone.

Day 21: Pass the Tequila

This mornings shave was ok. Not great; just...ok. This was my first time using the vintage London Bridge Blade in the Rex Konsul, and at first, I had it set too mildly. Later, I over corrected. When all was said and done, I had a bit too much burn, yet a bit more stubble than I would have preferred. Now I have to wait another day for my face to come back to where I want it.

A few hours ago, I met with my surgeon and shared some of the ongoing concerns I had about pain in my scapula and shoulder. He said that when you come in through the back for this procedure, there is a good bit of cutting through, and reconstruction work underneath, the muscles. It normally takes 4-6 weeks to heal, but can take up to 8. It would seem I am in that latter camp.

I called the office. Apparently, they still like me and are keeping my seat secured. Whew.

I find this whole experience frustrating and I am not a patient person. I'm supposed to pick up my car tomorrow. I can't do that wearing a collar. Will I have to push that off a few days? I have trouble carrying packages up the driveway. Will I wince in pain fetching my brand new Superslant (thank you, Kim) from the postbox on Monday ? I feel like a caged tiger, waiting for an opportunity to run free.

I have an angel on my left shoulder whispering: "Take a deep breath. Let it come in....hold it...let it come out. Appreciate the moment. Om, Shantih, Shantih, Shantih, Om". I have another voice from a red-clad figure standing on my right shoulder (the one giving me the pain). He says "Pass the G-d damn tequila!"

Enjoy the holiday weekend, guys!

Today's shave of the day:

IMG_5491.jpeg

Pre-Shave
BigAlVista's Shave Butter, PAA cube and Grooming Dept. Mojito Preshave
Soap/Cream
Katie's Bubbles - Gardenia
Brush
ShaveMac 2-band
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Rex Konsul
Blade
London Bridge - UK (3)
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
Razer, Blade and Cream Observations
Nice combination. At 3.0, the shave was too mild. At 4.5, the shave was fine; maybe a hair too aggressive.
Post Shave.
Thayers, AofS Bourbon balm
Cologne/Fragrance
SV 70th
Overall Efficiency
Moderate
End of Shave Irritation
Some burn. In hindsight, I had the razor set a bit too aggressively.
Nicks
Weepers
1 tiny one below my lower lip
Overall Shave Rating
9.1: DFS
Comments
Will try the Konsul again tomorrow, set at 4.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Indeed 25 years of CMOS image sensor development will not go by without serious improvement. Especially in the world of electronics. You can also do a lot of processing on the images that they could not in the past. Besides most of the digital images that we view today are not in RAW format but a lossy compression format and that makes a difference as well.

However, if we compare today's DSLRs with today's camera phones there is no getting around that the amount of light per pixel that you get in a DSLR vs a camera. This is solely due to the size difference of the sensor. More light per pixel equals better quality of picture. They cannot physically make the sensor in the camera phone the same size, so it will always suffer from this issue.
View attachment 1819946

This is a picture of the different image sensors. In a full frame DSLR you would have the top sensor that is 864 sq mm and for cell phones they use the 1/1.7 or the 1/2.5 sensor. This means that in a full frame sensor vs 1/1.7 sensor there is only 1/20th of the light per pixel in the phone camera sensor as compared to the full frame if they have the same number of pixels.

Admittingly they have advanced very very very far on the phone cameras and their picture quality and being able to handle more challenging situations to take nice high quality pictures and video. There is no doubt about that and for the great majority of situations they are perfectly adequate. Still there are physical limitations in sensors and optics that a camera phone cannot overcome due to its size. This is never going to change, unless we go back to.....
View attachment 1819942
Since I had to take myself out of retirement, I haven't had any time for photography.... but as our granddaughter grows up a bit, we'll be able to take her to bird rookeries and botanical gardens, etc. as she'll be old enough to enjoy them. I'll load up my Rugged Gear cart with my two DSLRs and two camera cases full of lenses... and get back to that hobby. The Rugged Cart is a godsend.... They are made for competition shooting and have little U holders for rifles and shotguns. They are perfect for my Really Right Stuff full sized tripod and partner monopod....I did add a bag of shotgun lead shot for ballast to counteract the weight of the tripod/monopod with the cameras installed.

A side note: my backup camera is a Canon 1D Mark IV... the last of the APS-H cameras that were once their top of the line product. As ancient as it is..... I still get amazing photos from it.

It would seem I am in that latter camp.
Mark, first off - obviously this all sucks. The procedure itself was necessary of course, but not a walk in the park. And the bigger the procedure usually the longer the recovery.

I feel for you Mark and wish you nothing but health and strength.

If the tiger wants to roar again it needs to first take a step back. Lay low in the fields and then like a spring coil be ready to pounce at a later moment. The more the tiger lays low for now the stronger the pounce can be.

I learned from my mother that it’s more beneficial to concentrate on what you can do (in her case it is still can do). So while the driveway takes forever to walk back and forth from and even if you have to kick that package to the house one step at a time - you will get there in the end and get to shave with a super slant!

I sincerely hope you can find the space to let the healing take place so you can be bigger, badder and stronger than you were before.

Best wishes,

Guido

Ps: top gear in your shave! I have none of the items, but have read many good things about them, including Cathies Bubbles. Pereira shave bowls are works of art. I have their unbreakable bowl on my long list - more of a face latherer at the moment, but a nice bowl is always welcome…after GRUYERE of course.

Mark, first off - obviously this all sucks. The procedure itself was necessary of course, but not a walk in the park. And the bigger the procedure usually the longer the recovery.

I feel for you Mark and wish you nothing but health and strength.

If the tiger wants to roar again it needs to first take a step back. Lay low in the fields and then like a spring coil be ready to pounce at a later moment. The more the tiger lays low for now the stronger the pounce can be.

I learned from my mother that it’s more beneficial to concentrate on what you can do (in her case it is still can do). So while the driveway takes forever to walk back and forth from and even if you have to kick that package to the house one step at a time - you will get there in the end and get to shave with a super slant!

I sincerely hope you can find the space to let the healing take place so you can be bigger, badder and stronger than you were before.

Best wishes,

Guido

Ps: top gear in your shave! I have none of the items, but have read many good things about them, including Cathies Bubbles. Pereira shave bowls are works of art. I have their unbreakable bowl on my long list - more of a face latherer at the moment, but a nice bowl is always welcome…after GRUYERE of course.
Great advise, Guido. Thanks. And thank you for the good wishes. I like the gear. That Konsul is sweet, but i think I'm done buying adjustables. I find them big and bulky. My favorite DEs are all sleek and lightweight (I.e. Ti)

I am trying to take things carefully and slowly. The challenge for me is that my mind is ready for action but my back, not so much.

Can I still have that tequila?

Last edited:
...but i think I'm done buying adjustables. I find them big and bulky.
I hear ya. However, the one adjustable I have, is the Pearl Flexi OC. Solid brass, CNC machined, not expensive and gives me absolutely terrific shaves. I was using it on 6 and decided to dial back to 4 just to see what the difference would be. It still put out an incredibly efficient shave without any scary tendencies or lack of forgiveness. As to looks...yeah it's what you say, kinda big, bulky and "cute" ugly.
Also, remember it's not going to take you forever to get back to "springing" into action plus you're improving every time you wake up to see a new "Sunrise" whether you have the tequila or not. See what I did there? BADABOOM! Gonna be a good day.

reface_1603146531893_545.GIF

I hear ya. However, the one adjustable I have, is the Pearl Flexi OC. Solid brass, CNC machined, not expensive and gives me absolutely terrific shaves. I was using it on 6 and decided to dial back to 4 just to see what the difference would be. It still put out an incredibly efficient shave without any scary tendencies or lack of forgiveness. As to looks...yeah it's what you say, kinda big, bulky and "cute" ugly.
Also, remember it's not going to take you forever to get back to "springing" into action plus you're improving every time you wake up to see a new "Sunrise" whether you have the tequila or not. See what I did there? BADABOOM! Gonna be a good day.

View attachment 1820638
It's been a good day indeed, though a bit frustrating...

Day 22: Anybody have a 15 year-old IPhone charging cable that still works?

This whole electric car business is becoming quite the hassle. My new car comes with Apple Car play, but requires a legacy USB-A to Lightning port in order to work. Really? Hyundai, you are selling a (supposedly) state-of-the-art EV with a pile of bells and whistles, and you couldn't figure out how to implement USB-C, Let alone wireless car play? OK. First world problem. I get it. But really? You couldn't figure any of that out? Makes me give pause as I get into your rolling ton of highly flammable Lithium batteries. Speaking as a firefighter (that recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express), those EV fires can be nasty.

More annoyingly, the car had been shuffled between multiple dealers ranging from Philly to Danbury and finally, to mine. My "new" car had over 250 miles on it. It also had one seriously scuffed 20" x 8.5" rim which I didn't notice when I picked the car up from the dealership. Now, I have to argue with the sales manager to swap the scuffed rim for a new one. It will be interesting to see how that goes!

Honestly, I'm glad I have the time to deal with this, even if I'm not happy with the reason why.

There is something to be said for simplifying one's life. Strip away the toys, unnecessary technology, and things that don't really improve one's happiness, and that consume precious time that could be better spent doing things that are really important. I wonder how many hours a year I spend dealing with stuff that just isn't worth the effort.

The electrician is coming to wire the L2 charger on Tuesday. I will be glad when all of this car business is finished.

But really, all this stuff is meaningless. When I think about what's right in my world, the anxiety goes away. I have a wonderful family, a nice home, a good job. I woke up this morning on the right side of the grass and motored through a mostly normal day, without having to be a burden to my family.

My phone will work in my car. The rim will get dealt with. My neck will get better.

Maybe I'll save that tequila I was thinking about yesterday for a more joyous moment.

The day started off beautifully with a day-4 UK London Bridge blade in a lovely Rex Konsul.

IMG_5496.jpeg

Pre-Shave
Soap/Cream
A&E Cathedral
Brush
Barbermatic with 28mm Boti Synth Knot
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Rex Konsul
Blade
London Bridge - UK (4)
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
9.4 - the Konsul with the machine finish does an excellent job at scooping up whiskers and shave cream, making it difficult to buff. That said, it is highly efficient so not much buffing is needed.
Nice combination. At 3.75, the shave was pretty close to perfect with the UK London Bridge blade
Post Shave.
Cologne/Fragrance
Banana Republic - Walnut
Overall Efficiency
Excellent
End of Shave Irritation
Negligible
Nicks
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
9.5: BBS
Comments
Excellent way to start the weekend

View attachment 1819946

View attachment 1819942
Have any of you had an opportunity to work with a good camera leveraging a current generation 35mm sensor? If so, how would you characterize the image quality, low light handling (with regard to "shutter" speed, depth of field, noise, color and gray scale fidelity) and other relevant characteristics? I would not be surprised to learn that such sensors, when paired to a good quality lens and some helpful image processing tools, might be able to put out images that rival an old school large format camera. How are the APS-H sensors?

I haven't played with state of the art cameras in a very long time (my last pro level camera purchase was a pair of F3-Ts back in '83 or '84 The Nikon I bought 20 years ago was a pro-sumer model).

Last edited:
Day 23: Hello? It's Easter Sunday. Anybody home?

It looks like it's going to be a day of west and wewaxation.

323ab66c7f8236ee25413fc5c63f76156e978294.gif

My wife is at work - she's a sonographer at a local hospital and seems to always get stuck with an Easter shift, even though they supposedly have a rolling schedule for holidays. My kids are going down county to spend the day with my parents, which will be fun for all of them. My eldest will invite my folks to see his new appartment, and they'll all split a celebratory bottle of Malbec.

I will spend the day at home, waiting for an HVAC contactor whose schedular assured me he would be here even though it's Easter Sunday. The firm didn't call to confirm Friday or yesterday, so I expect that the probability of them showing up "between 11 and 3" to be between 3 and 11%

I am imagining what dinner will look like later today. My wife and I will be having a Caesar salad, Chinese leftovers, and fresh Kesar mangos from Patel Brothers, while my kids and parents will be at a nice restaurant wishing we were with them.

Happy Easter to everyone that observes!

Today's shave of the day:

IMG_5502.jpeg

Pre-Shave
Soap/Cream
Grooming Dept. Amare
Brush
AP ShaveCo with 28mm G5A Synth Knot
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Rex Konsul
Blade
London Bridge - UK (5/final)
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
9.2 - Good shave, but the blade started getting tuggy on the third pass.
Similar to yesterday's shave. At 3.75, the shave was excellent with the UK London Bridge blade
Post Shave.
Cologne/Fragrance
SV 70th
Overall Efficiency
Very good.
End of Shave Irritation
Negligible
Nicks
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
9.2: BBS-
Comments
The Vintage UK London Bridge Blade has fallen in battle after 5 successful skirmishes. Time to swap into the second Wilkinson Light Brigade blade. The King is Dead! Long Live the King!

Well, just think of how nice the upcoming holiday season will be and how great next Easter will be. You'll be up and at 'em for them all. We went to watch the wife's grandson play soccer and then had all the relatives over for brunch. It was fine. It's ok to see them etc but I was still quite happy when they all left. Cleaned up and enjoyed the rest of the day. Been watching the Witcher on Netflix. It's actually a pretty good Sword & Sorcery series.
Anyway, things are getting better for you and they'll keep doing so...but it's gonna take time. As you know.
Cheers pal.

Well, just think of how nice the upcoming holiday season will be and how great next Easter will be. You'll be up and at 'em for them all. We went to watch the wife's grandson play soccer and then had all the relatives over for brunch. It was fine. It's ok to see them etc but I was still quite happy when they all left. Cleaned up and enjoyed the rest of the day. Been watching the Witcher on Netflix. It's actually a pretty good Sword & Sorcery series.
Anyway, things are getting better for you and they'll keep doing so...but it's gonna take time. As you know.
Cheers pal.
Thank you, Sir.

I loved Season 1 of Witcher. Season 2 was OK. I understand from my movie buff son that Henry Cavil had some issue with the producers creative decisions and is bailing from the show early.

Top Bottom