What's new

March 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

A fantastic month to be GRUMEing.
89/366
Thursday March 28, 2024
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Brush: Semogue SOC Cherry
Lather: Tabac
Razor: Henson Mild
Blade: Wizamet SI. (1)

IMG_6669.jpg

That sounds awesome!! Do you have a favourite Scotch? Scotland is on my list of places to must visit!
I was in Ireland last summer. I love it there! I toured both Bushmills and Jameson. Fantastic places to visit!
I've been Edinburgh briefly in the past, but this will be my first proper tour of the country. Let's hope I can remember what we do! Long ago (1999?), I spent three weeks packing around Ireland and had a wonderful time. I'm glad that I'll get to share both of these with SWMBO. 😍

The Balvenie is my absolute favorite Scotch. It feels like they can do no wrong, especially with the Caribbean Cask line. Glenmorangie would be a close second.

Gentlemen I’m out!
I used the last day in Prague to stock up on hard to come by stuff from Alpa (378 & Windsor) as well as 3 tucks of Indian Astras.
Well, it's tough to argue with grabbing unobtanium items when you have the chance, even right at the end of the month. Heck, you made it most of the way! I hope these make your den a happier place.

As usual, when we lose a brother, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTMC, FFFMM
2) silverlifter - out (3/18: JNat)
3) @Bsamps - GRUYERE
4) @Jayson74 - GRUYERE
5) @Doti B
6) @Guido75 - GRUYERE, SOTMC
7) @m949
8) Multum in parvo - out (3/28: Stuff on the Czech-list)
9) @LJBraaten GRUYERE
10) @iver - GRUYERE
11) @Markdad2
12) @La Malice - GRUYERE, SOTMC, FFFMM,
13) ric164 - out (3/21: Brassbird)
14) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
15) @hopper_64 - GRUYERE, FFFMM
16) @cajunrph
17) @tjsgarden - GRUYERE
18) @Pyrate
19) @awk_m4 - GRUYERE
20) SmoothOperator - out (3/11: Standus Rex)
21) @Roedeer - 366er
22) @JKaboom - GRUYERE, FFFMM
23) @JAHE - GRUYERE, 300+
24) SmokedStanley - out (3/4: Yet another 400)
25) @ChriWilson - GRUYERE, SOTMC, FFFMM
26) @Snowman94
27) @redhillshaving - FFFMM, GRUME
28) @FL shaver

Day 28, 90.3% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Nivea Men Shaving Creme
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Proraso Sensitive Balm

I used Nivea cream for a change, and got an easy DFS. This blade is still OK, and might see the month out.

IMG_6447.jpeg

Still in... My last shave for this GRUME and having completed two GRUME's in a row.

Friday, March 29, 2024

Pre-Shave: Warm water splash / YBN Glycerin
Razor: Mühle R89 DSC Destroyer handle
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (2...and done)
Brush: Arno Classic #12, Gen5 synthetic
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: Noble Otter - Orbit (sample)
Alum: none
A/S: TOBS - Royal Forest (sample)
EdT: Fées - Reims Vetiver

Today achieved a very pleasant 2.5 - pass (WTG, ATG, WTG) CCS with the R89 and a second performance of this Wizamet. No nicks, weepers or irritation.

The Arno brush continues to captivate with its soft bristles, nice backbone and lovely ergonomics. It lathers amazingly. My Noble Otter - Orbit sample is now finished, which is a bit of a relief for me because I didn't like the very strong cooling sensation this soap gave me. Other than that, this soap lathers incredibly well, no matter whether I used my badger or my synthetic. I might just try out another Noble Otter sample at some point.

This shave was completed with TOBS Royal Forest Aftershave which is non-alcoholic and feels a bit oily, like a liquid balm or a beard oil. There was nevertheless a bit of a sting when applied. Scent-wise it is earthy, a bit spicy, and yes quite forest-y. It's a good match with today's EdT, Reims Vetiver.

This concludes my GRUME adventure, at least for next month, as I'd like to stock up on a bit of shaving soap and Aftershave for more variety. It's not really "needed" equipment as I have one newly opened Mühle puck in rotation and still a bit left from my samples, so I'll sit the April GRUME out.

I love the GRUME experience and I'll join again for sure. I can only recommend any DE shaving newbies to join a GRUME because it enforces the most commonly given Newbie advice: to stick with the equipment you have and work on technique, rather than introducing ever more variables into the shaving experience. It certainly worked very well for me as I was able to learn more about the two razors and two brushes I have without the need to acquire new things. I did procure a new brush on the March restocking date as I felt that my five year old synthetic was far too small for my lathering technique and it was time for a change. Other than that, I do feel a mild sense of accomplishment for not going overboard with my purchases.

There'll still be restraint on my part going forward. A new razor or brush isn't on the horizon just yet. The same goes for blades of which I currently have about 10 tucks, and once I can place the order for my soaps on Monday, that part of shaving equipment should be covered for a while as well.

Thank you all for this great experience, I'm sure I'll be back here again, maybe already in May. In the meantime I'll be sure to post on the SOTD thread.

Happy Easter everybody.

Date29.03.2024
366 daily shaves
089/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorock Game Changer .84P SBShark Chrome (5)Zenith 502B XSE
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (70)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
9.5/10 (Tiny weeper)5/10 (Razor Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
9/10
(BBS)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Blissful shave with the Game Changer today and feeling like a million!

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

I've been Edinburgh briefly in the past, but this will be my first proper tour of the country. Let's hope I can remember what we do! Long ago (1999?), I spent three weeks packing around Ireland and had a wonderful time. I'm glad that I'll get to share both of these with SWMBO. 😍

The Balvenie is my absolute favorite Scotch. It feels like they can do no wrong, especially with the Caribbean Cask line. Glenmorangie would be a close second.
That’s going to be an awesome trip!
My late brother-in-law gifted me a Balvenie about ten years ago. I’m going to open it when his oldest niece graduates university.

Top Bottom