What's new

Lambda Athena

That's pretty much the Karve Overlander model. Not gap and head, but metal and handle, and with a wait of a few weeks. People complain about that model too.
Agree. For first Overlander I waited 4 weeks, ok no complains. But 2nd Overlander was without answer and much longer, so after 7 weeks I asked my bank to refund payment. They did it in other 2 weeks, faster as any answer came from Karve…

I like much more Wolfman strategy. Waiting list it not fast, but everybody can in this time really search for informations, after it is pretty fast. and most important you can order what ever gap, handle, finish, even custom gap, double gap .. that is very very nice. not cheap but probably nothing come close to Wolfman and Tara is very responsive and helpful

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My wife often comments that my patience is in the range of a hungry toddler.

I was on Theo’s wait list for a few weeks, no word on the next drop. I figured that there were many, many guys ahead of me anyway.

I saw on BST an Athena pop up. Asked for more pictures, seller sent them. There were several fine scratches on the cap and a blemish on the handle. The price was good, so, I bought it. I figured I could take it to a local machine shop and borrow their buffing wheel.

Seller sent me a pic of the shipping label, then it dropped off the radar. No tracking info, nada. Must be lost, yeah?

Have i mentioned that I have limited patience?

Another Athena came up on BST. Good price, brand new/unused/flawless razor. I also bought that one, expecting to be filing an insurance claim for the first.

Anyway, the first one I bought showed up yesterday. The scratches looked much worse in the photos. It took me less than a half hour with Midas Touch, followed by Simichrome, to get it as close to mint as I need it to be. Under the brightest of light, at the right angle, I can see one of the scratches on the cap; the handle is perfect.

The second Athena is due to be delivered two days hence.

I went from being on a seemingly endless wait list to owning two of them over the course of a week. I will be keeping the first and putting the second (the unused one) on BST as soon as I am able (15 days, I think, since I just posted a Feather SR today).

Don’t tell her I said this, but, my wife might be right. I think I’m one of those guys who isn’t meant to be retired.

I too have two Athenas.

The first was from the BST. Mine arrived in excellent shape. I liked it very much, immediately.

The second was later purchased from the manufacturer. It is now still new in the box.

In other words, I have a spare. (Which I am holding on to for now.)

I like much more Wolfman strategy. Waiting list it not fast, but everybody can in this time really search for informations, after it is pretty fast. and most important you can order what ever gap, handle, finish, even custom gap, double gap .. that is very very nice. not cheap but probably nothing come close to Wolfman and Tara is very responsive and helpful

I am not knocking the Wolfman brand, not at all, as I have two WR2 razors.

My first is in the 1.15 mm gap. It came from the BST.

The second, from the manufacturer, is in the 1.35 mm gap.

I like both of my Wolfman razors.

The big problem, at least for me, with Wolfman razors is figuring out what you want and need. It can get very expensive no matter how much homework you do. I like both of my WR2 razors, but I suspect I might prefer a WR2 with an even lower gap such as perhaps a 1.05 or a 0.95 or 0.85. See the problem? I'm not willing to buy two or three more Wolfman razors to find out.

In my opinion, the Athena is an excellent razor. It not only shaves very well. Its production values are top notch in all respects, plus it is unique in several ways, and beautiful. In my opinion, it is an incredible bargain compared with many other high end razors.

Whether the Athena is right for you is something I can't say.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Wolfman waiting lists seem fine now but you might have felt differently when the wait was 6-9 months. And before that he had random, unannounced drops so it was extremely hard to get one unless you spammed the refresh button every day and had friends doing the same who would tell you if they got lucky. The Wolfman waiting lists only became like they are now when James put the prices up massively.

In the end it comes down to how many razors a manufacturer can produce, and how many people want one. There is no satisfactory way of meeting demand when you have more customers than you can support. It doesn’t take long for waiting lists to exceed a year when the demand is double your production.

You listed it as unused, so I assumed you were using the scratched one.

It’s unfortunate it didn’t work out for you. Function before beauty.

It's not so much that it didn't work. It's a great shaver. It's just not as great as my Timeless ti .68 and .95 oc razors. That plus the extra cleaning the Athena requires meant I probably wouldn't use it very much other than as a change of pace.

I'll use it more once the pass around ends. I want to play around with going atg with it. That's one area where it might be superior to the Timeless razors, imho, in terms of smoothness. I don't do much atg shaving though so I need more time to know for sure.

Wolfman waiting lists seem fine now but you might have felt differently when the wait was 6-9 months. And before that he had random, unannounced drops so it was extremely hard to get one unless you spammed the refresh button every day and had friends doing the same who would tell you if they got lucky. The Wolfman waiting lists only became like they are now when James put the prices up massively.
Yes, agree. Prices up is just normal answer to demand. If nobody buy from today I would say price will start to drop sooner or later. Just like everything.. why keep price down if there are so many people waiting months on waitlist..
In the end it comes down to how many razors a manufacturer can produce, and how many people want one. There is no satisfactory way of meeting demand when you have more customers than you can support. It doesn’t take long for waiting lists to exceed a year when the demand is double your production.
For artisan it is not easy to find right balance between production costs (eventually to have more employers or other machine) and satisfying demand. It is for sure easier to be small, and have always customers waiting as have full stock of products with hope they can sell it as fast as produce.. And there is psychology involved, if is something scarce, it is more desired to buy.

Also with Wolfman would be interesting to know how big is part of 1st time buyers, and how many are returning for other razor. I think majority of sales are from returning customers, and with such a price is probably good to create time to wait, that help for some people to accept how much it is because it is something like special only every half year, not like every couple days possible.

just my ideas, some luxurious watch makers do similar also if they could produce more or do it easier to buy faster but they see benefit in this like waiting list system.. artisan razors producers doesn't have possibility to change it but i doubt they would like to..

I contacted Lambda yesterday, and I have to echo what everyone has said about his responsiveness, he replied within a few minutes. He expects to have a small batch of SS and TI Athenas ready in a couple of months, and the next batch of bronze Athenas will drop in about a week. He's not sure what the prices will be yet on the SS or TI. I suspect the TI will be more than I'm looking to spend, but he let me put my name on the list for both even though I told him I'd only be in the market for one or the other. :thumbup1:

I contacted Lambda yesterday, and I have to echo what everyone has said about his responsiveness, he replied within a few minutes. He expects to have a small batch of SS and TI Athenas ready in a couple of months, and the next batch of bronze Athenas will drop in about a week. He's not sure what the prices will be yet on the SS or TI. I suspect the TI will be more than I'm looking to spend, but he let me put my name on the list for both even though I told him I'd only be in the market for one or the other. :thumbup1:
I'm only interested in Ares as a SS backup to my bronze
Fru Lol GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Pulled out the Athena after not using it for awhile and have had two fantastic shaves. It always surprises me how well it shaves. Crazy smooth and efficient. I’d use it more if it didn’t require cleaning and drying after each use. Most of my mornings are short on time. Would love to get a stainless version.

Top Bottom