What's new

Razor wars - Mühle Rocca versus Razorock Game Changer .84OC

I have not tried the Muhle Rocca but I've heard it shaves a bit similar to the EJ 3one6. I tend to prefer the 3one6 over the GC 84P. It's not night and day for me, they are both good but the EJ 3one6 is more comfortable on the ATG pass.

I have not tried the Muhle Rocca but I've heard it shaves a bit similar to the EJ 3one6. I tend to prefer the 3one6 over the GC 84P. It's not night and day for me, they are both good but the EJ 3one6 is more comfortable on the ATG pass.
I cannot confirm, but I have read reviews stating the similar conclusion. Their built is completely different though.

Enjoy!

Guido

I had toyed with a Rocca but after much reading it sounded more aggressive then I would want.

Maybe someday Mullen will make less aggressive version for old guys like me.

I had toyed with a Rocca but after much reading it sounded more aggressive then I would want.

Maybe someday Mullen will make less aggressive version for old guys like me.

Read on...
They have and call it the R89 :smile:

I have a few R89 type razors. The interesting thing I have found, is that the Rocca R94 is easier to shave with (meaning less agressive), yet more efficient (closer shaving) than the R89's.

This is where razor engineering comes in. You get a closer yet smoother shave with less effort than a standard R89 type. That is the reason for buying one.

If it is the first one or two versions of the Rocca, maybe. Because at least two users reported in the last versions of Rocca, namely v 4 the razor has become milder compared to the first ones.

I have the Rocca R94 v 4 and 3ONE6 with the aluminium handle. No, they do not shave similar. The 3ONE6 is more aggressive and gives me a closer shave.
The 3ONE6 (DESSGA5BL) has 1.05 gap and Rocca R94 v 4 has 0.80 gap. Both measured by me with feeler gauge.

Also the 3ONE6 has visibly more exposure than the Rocca.

I had to chime in for this one. I'm a Muhle fan to the end. The day I bought an R89 Twist, the day I held it for the first time, the weight and balance of that handle and the fact that I could throw in a Feather, A Kai, A Gillette Platinum or a Persona and have a terrific shave in two passes, that was enough to blow my Rockwell 6S out of the water. Then again, that's me. Acquired the Muhle 94 later on and fell in love all over again. The efficiency and smoothness were at another level for me. is one better than the other, not for me. They are different. I can use the R89 on a daily basis and the 94 on maybe two days of growth or three. Oh yeah, I often use my 94 Razor head on a DScosmetic Destroyer Ti handle, its super awesome.

Brings me to the Razorock GC. I love RR but moved on from their SLOC to the YAQI Mellon SS, Liked the GC .84 but traded it when I got the DSCosmetic S9. Thanks to my buddy Iridian, that scalloped head suggestion on the DS S9 was the best advice ever. Shaves were so good with it that I had to choose it over the RR GC .84. Have used the OC version too and I think its very different to the SB. The Only Razorock I wouldn't part with is the German Slant 37 and mainly cause it was my first Slant.

Before I digress, I think the Muhle 94 or Rocca and the Razorock GC are two different Razors with their own Character, Identity and Shave quality. Each of them offers a fantastic experience with each shave. Every new Blade, Shaving Soap etc used in these shaves also heightens or changes the joy derived from it. I don't think its fair to compare these two or to see which is better. Both these stellar Razors are meant to be owned and experienced.

I also have the R41 head and will get down to using it someday soon, that should complete the MUHLE Trinity for me.

If it is the first one or two versions of the Rocca, maybe. Because at least two users reported in the last versions of Rocca, namely v 4 the razor has become milder compared to the first ones.

I have the Rocca R94 v 4 and 3ONE6 with the aluminium handle. No, they do not shave similar. The 3ONE6 is more aggressive and gives me a closer shave.
The 3ONE6 (DESSGA5BL) has 1.05 gap and Rocca R94 v 4 has 0.80 gap. Both measured by me with feeler gauge.

Love this Ivan. I've always seen two camps, those that swear by the EJ 3ONE6 and the other by the Rocca. Now I know the reason, thanks to ya.

I have a question though, is the EJ as smooth or smoother than the Rocca and do you have to be a bit more cautious when using it as compared to it's Muhle counterpart.

Love this Ivan. I've always seen two camps, those that swear by the EJ 3ONE6 and the other by the Rocca. Now I know the reason, thanks to ya.

I have a question though, is the EJ as smooth or smoother than the Rocca and do you have to be a bit more cautious when using it as compared to it's Muhle counterpart.
'Smooth' applied to a razor is a totally vague term. Even if it wasn't it would be too subjective because of everyone's skin, whiskers, cream, lather etc, etc.

But to answer your second question, yes you need to be more cautious with the 3ONE6 compared to Rocca v 4. Because of the above-mentioned bigger gap and exposure. With very sharp blades it is relatively easy to get cut.

Thanks for clarifying, I was not aware of the differences between the Rocca versions. I'll have to try a Rocca at some point it seems like a nice razor based on your description, not that the 3one6 isn't, I do enjoy it actually.

Both these stellar Razors are meant to be owned and experienced.
I completely agree. And I feel fortunate to be able to.
I don't think its fair to compare these two or to see which is better.
I understand and it’s actually not my intention. I just wanted to have something on my hands while completing the yearly restraint. So each razor gets to have a go “against” another razor, but in actuality it’s just a subjective report of usually two brilliant razors (I don’t have any razors I don’t like).

As I mentioned in the mother thread:

The purpose is none other than to have fun. I am not searching for the one razor in my den or selecting the best one. I already know which one(s) those are.

The R41 will make an appearance sooner or later too so I am looking forward to your experiences with that one. An amazing razor in its own right for sure!

Cheers,

Guido

Thanks for clarifying, I was not aware of the differences between the Rocca versions. I'll have to try a Rocca at some point it seems like a nice razor based on your description, not that the 3one6 isn't, I do enjoy it actually.
With the Rocca I can shave with my eyes closed. With the 3ONE6 I would need to open one eye from time to time.
This is a joke of course. Do not shave with closed eyes. But you get what I mean.

Also, I use mainly boars. And can get BBS with them and the 3ONE6. With the Rocca R94 I need a synthetic brush for a closer shave to get the BBS. That's my barbwire whiskers.

'Smooth' applied to a razor is a totally vague term. Even if it wasn't it would be too subjective because of everyone's skin, whiskers, cream, lather etc, etc.

But to answer your second question, yes you need to be more cautious with the 3ONE6 compared to Rocca v 4. Because of the above-mentioned bigger gap and exposure. With very sharp blades it is relatively easy to get cut.
Yeah Ivan, you're right mate, smooth would be based on a whole lot of factors thrown in. I guess I was just generalizing it based on the Rockwells which seem to glide regardless of blade, rich lather or face prep. But now, you have piqued my interest in the 3ONE6.

I completely agree. And I feel fortunate to be able to.

I understand and it’s actually not my intention. I just wanted to have something on my hands while completing the yearly restraint. So each razor gets to have a go “against” another razor, but in actuality it’s just a subjective report of usually two brilliant razors (I don’t have any razors I don’t like).

As I mentioned in the mother thread:

The R41 will make an appearance sooner or later too so I am looking forward to your experiences with that one. An amazing razor in its own right for sure!

Cheers,

Guido
Hey Guido75, if it wasn't for your comparison, I wouldn't have learned anything about the #ONE6 from Ivan. Keep these posts coming mate. Love th fact that you own both Razors. There is a certain beauty to the higher end Muhle and EJ products and lets not forget their relationship, the EJ DE 89 and the Muhle 89 similarities etc.

I take out my R41 head every other day and then stash it back. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. Much as I don't like Blue Oyster Cult, The line from their song, 'Don't Fear The Reaper' plays in my head every time I hold the R41 head.

I was so tempted to get the Yaqi Knight Helmet once, till I heard Kevyshaves say, "If the R41 is an 8 then the Knight Helmet is an 11."

I take out my R41 head every other day and then stash it back. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.
I assure you it’s less of a reaper than its reputation makes us believe. That reputation came from the original R41 (after dropping the Fatip design). Current iterations (never confirmed by Mühle) have made the R41 much smoother compared to the old days. Relatively mild in that sense, but of course still a force to be reckoned with.

Give it a try. No pressure and take your time. It is dolphinic smoothness in the end. My first R41 shave was about 6 months into my DE journey - I was very cautious and boy was I smooth!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Guido75 I think you didn't hightlight the differences between both razors enough. You know that communication is what the silly smurf understands in the end. Let me highlight the differences I could find after your comparison! ;)

roccagc84.jpg

Top Bottom