What's new

Tatara Samurai Sword Alliance

sotd 6-3

Gillette London Bridge (china), shave #1

Lovely 1st shave with this blade today in the Masamune. Very smooth result, let's see how this blade holds up in my (mild) razors. See PIF topic about these blades elsewhere on the forum.

Tatara - Masamune
Gillette - London Bridge Super Stainless (1)
Simpson - Trafalgar T3
HC&C - Year of the dragon
Tabac - Original AS
Balea - Men Sensitive ASB

full

I’ve got a masamune incoming. What’s the consensus on blade to use with it?
I've personally had great success with the Astra Superior Platinum, the Treet Platinum and the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum in my full Masamune setup. Oh, and the Bolzano Superinox, as well... Almost forgot those.

If you ever feel like you want a smidge more aggression than what you're getting now, but without going full Nodachi, allow me to suggest the OC base-plate. It's got just the right amount of "more", in my experience.

I've personally had great success with the Astra Superior Platinum, the Treet Platinum and the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum in my full Masamune setup. Oh, and the Bolzano Superinox, as well... Almost forgot those.

If you ever feel like you want a smidge more aggression than what you're getting now, but without going full Nodachi, allow me to suggest the OC base-plate. It's got just the right amount of "more", in my experience.
Does it have a wider range on the blade angle?

Does it have a wider range on the blade angle?
Sorry, but I'm not clear what you're asking here; are you referring to the OC baseplate? If that's the case, I can't really give a solid answer. The OC is a just a tad more aggressive than the Masamune, but less so than a full Nodchai setup. That's all I was really trying to say. Sometimes I go a few days between shaves, and the OC will mow that beard down with alacrity.

Sorry, but I'm not clear what you're asking here; are you referring to the OC baseplate? If that's the case, I can't really give a solid answer. The OC is a just a tad more aggressive than the Masamune, but less so than a full Nodchai setup. That's all I was really trying to say. Sometimes I go a few days between shaves, and the OC will mow that beard down with alacrity.
I meant as in with the open comb do you have a wider sweet spot with the proper blade angle not irritating.

Evening, last night's shave:

Razor: Tatara Masamune SB
Blade: Vidyut Supermax Super Stainless (2)
Pre: Hot Water
Soap: Body Shop Maca Root
Brush: Omega Boar Pro
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport

The Masamune remains my top DE. This blade has been a pleasant surprise. After a full week of shaves, I'm impressed, close to my favorites in efficiency and comfort, and just a touch behind my best in smoothness.

9.75/10

Cheers

I've been using a Masamune Ti SB with Personna Lab Blue. The razor is top tier. I had concern about light weight (49g if I remember right), because of lackluster experience with aluminum and acrylic DEs. But the balance and overall design prevent skipping, and the feel is solid. The light weight just reduces effort.

Now my question: Has anyone tried the new-ish Tatara "Honour" shaving soap?

sotd 5-4

I am very glad I bought this Masamune (again, for the 2nd time). It certainly is a great match for my beard and skin. Paired with this PIF'fed vintage blade, it delivered a smashing shave!

Tatara - Masamune
Wilkinson Sword - New Chromium Edge (vintage) (2)
Simpson - Trafalgar T3
Martin de Candre - Vétyver
Pitralon - Classic AS
Balea - Men Sensitive ASB

20240405.jpg

Top Bottom