What's new

Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

Is it soft enough to spread around a bit in that jar? Maybe just pressing down lightly all around the remaining ring?
That worked for me when I finished off a jar.

Just gave it a gently try. Yes, the lower in the jar the softer but even the top part can be persuaded to move down and cover the bottom of the jar. Which I haven't done yet but at least I've got the solution ready thanks to you gentlemen.

Wilkinson blade (5th) (177th blade), Tabac (glass jar, 188th shave), Tabac ASL

As one can expect, the visible part of the bottom of the jar is growing bigger with each shave. So one thing is already pretty sure: a jar of Tabac doesn't last 365 days for me. Probable not even 300. Might get to 250 though. We'll find out maybe by the end of 2024.
Next up (in like 12 days) is Martin de Candre Fougère. I've been using De Vergulde Hand after shave balm with it but also asked for a better match over here: Aftershave balm (or lotion) matching Martin de Candre Fougère

3 months after receiving decent advice, I finally ordered the most promising product.

1711364322748.png

Very curious.
I previously had a disappointing adventure with Proraso Red. I ordered the soap and a large bottle of the ASL. But to my taste, the fragrance is a lot too explicit. So I'm sitting there with that bottle. And with a lesson learned: do not order large bottles of products you don't know yet.
So take a guess which of the two packaging formats I ordered?
Right.
The large one of course.

Yeah that’s what happened to me when I got Floids barbershop. In the end LOTH didn’t like it and away it went into the bin. 3/4 still in it. Scents are difficult as are razors. There is little way of test driving them…there actually might be a business model in there somewhere…
I have the PAA version of Floids, it is one of the few scents my bride does not particularly care for.

What scent profile would be a lot too explicit? Asking because you adore Tabac which is about as explicit as it gets in my book. Well that and Floïd’s Barbershop.

You are so right. Time and again, I've claimed the Proraso red too explicit for me. But that is not the point indeed. It's not my time of sandalwood fragrance. I'd now call it too harsh. I don't know. But suffering from a common cold at the moment, not able to smell anything, yet faintly noticing the comforting fragrance of Tabac says it all. I am not averse to powerful scents.

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (1st) (178th blade), Tabac (glass jar, 191st shave), Tabac ASL

I'm constantly postponing the pressing down of the remaining soap. On one hand, it feels like an irreversible sacrilege. On the other hand, loading on a surface of soap is a lot easier, more fun and better than on this highly unevenly spread ring of soap. But action is irreversible. Well, more important things are happening in the world, right?

PermaSharp (1st) (179th blade), Tabac (glass jar, 195th shave), Tabac ASL

The bottom of the Tabac jar is now completely free. But I've decided to press down the remaining soap at the 200 mark. So it can be added to the pictures of 'soap levels after XX shaves'.
Other than that, I'm happy to report there's so little to report. No change of shaving routine, no unexpected experiences with blades, no weepers or worse. Just happy shaves.

PermaSharp (4th) (179th blade), Tabac (glass jar, 198th shave), Tabac ASL

I managed to get a minor weeper on my chin this morning. Must've been months since I last saw any blood.
I've been cleaning out a small bottle of Tabac ASL to house some of the Opaline that I've bought to accompany the Martin de Candre Fougère that is up next (starting on Thursday).

As the bottom of the Tabac jar is almost cleaned of soap now, I've discovered the Secrets of the Tabac Jar. Maybe we should start a Brotherhood of those in the know of what a Tabac jar looks like on the inside?

PermaSharp (5th) (179th blade), Tabac (glass jar, 199th shave), Tabac ASL

I might have jinxed it yesterday mentioning how long I managed to shave without weepers. Yesterday one, today two. And not on the same spot as yesterday. One caused by a clear mistake, taking the downward stroke on my throat a few centimeter too far. The other on my chin.
So knowing very well it's all the guy holding the razor, I'll be changing blades anyway.

PermaSharp (6th) (179th blade), Tabac (glass jar, 200th shave), Tabac ASL

'So knowing very well it's all the guy holding the razor, I'll be changing blades anyway.'
Which, obviously, I didn't. With an alarmclock at 5.30, I don't feel like doing any extras. Exept maybe for paying more attention to direction of strokes and pressure on the razor. With excellent result: my shave is sufficiently smooth to stay with a client all day and there was no blood at all.
So, since I'll be changing soap tomorrow (having reached the 200 mark with Tabac), I even might keep the blade for another day.

Voskhod (1st) (180th blade), Martin de Candre Fougère (52nd shave); Les Bénédictines de Chantelle Lotion Opaline

So I switched to the next soap in my rotation. Happy to return to Martin de Candre Fougère. It's really fun facelathering with this product, even coming directly after 25 days of Tabac.
And I had my first encounter with Lotion Opaline by Les Bénédictines de Chantelle. Well, that's an interesting encounter.
  • I fully get the suggestion of pairing this Lotion with the Fougère soap. It's fragrance isn't fougère (at least, it doesn't smell like the soap, not even 'almost' or 'a little'). But it has the same background: fresh green herbs. As they state on their website: rosemary, clary sage, melissa, camphor, indian brown.
  • I like the fragrance. Not 'perfume-level-liking' but 'excellent for an ASL that lingers for a few minutes'. And it does. Not much longer either.
  • I see why people would use this lotion which is meant for energizing friction as an ASL. The sanitizing, revitalizing, refreshing and calming qualities of the selected herbs. However, it is a 62% alcohol product and might, for my skin, be more suited for the warm summer days than the dry-skin winter days.
  • Practical thing: the bottle has a large opening. So a few days ago, I cleaned out a small 100ml Tabac asl bottle and filled it with Lotion Opaline. No problem there, except I can't enjoy the view of the nice green product. My own bad, should've chosen a different bottle, right?

Voskhod (4th) (180th blade), Martin de Candre Fougère (55th shave); Les Bénédictines de Chantelle Lotion Opaline

A weekend of satisfying shaves. This morning however I managed to get a tiny weeper on my chin. Nothing the alumn block couldn't take care of.
The Martin de Candre soap keeps amazing me: how little I need to load for incredible amounts of lather.

Wilkinson (2nd) (181st blade), Martin de Candre Fougère (58th shave); Les Bénédictines de Chantelle Lotion Opaline

Another series of carefree shaves. I'm very consciously avoiding all pressure on the chin area, and that helps a lot. It's no less smoother either. So I'm very happy with the way things are going.

I do have a decision to make concerning my rotation.
This is the current status:
- De Vergulde Hand: 0 (finished the previous puck on this rotation)
- Tabac: 200
- Martin de Candre Fougère: 58 (will reach 75 on this rotation)
- Palmolive Men Classic: 0 (finished the tube on the previous rotation)
- Saponificio Varesino Mirto... : 50

So next up would be the Palmolive, starting my second tube.
However, I'm considering skipping the Palmolive on this rotation, so it can 'start' together with the next tub of De Vergulde Hand. Think I might do that. That makes things a lot clearer and simpler at the 'soap level after XX shaves' thread and pics. And feels cleaner for me too.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I'm very consciously avoiding all pressure on the chin area, and that helps a lot. It's no less smoother either.

I believe that not pressing the cap or comb into one’s skin; so far as it can be minimized as it can never be avoided; allows more force to be available where the edge touches the whiskers.

Perhaps an absurd idea, but more coherent than my ideas on politics, religion, and economics.

Wilkinson (6th) (181st blade), Martin de Candre Fougère (62nd shave); Les Bénédictines de Chantelle Lotion Opaline

Continuing the series of carefree shaves. @thombrogan expertly explained why no pressure on the razor means more force on the edge of the blade :ouch1: .

Concerning my rotation, I have decided to skip the Palmolive this time, so I can start a new tube together with starting a new puck of De Vergulde Hand. But first: another 13 days of Martin de Candre.

Top Bottom