What's new

What did you hone today?

Some more experimenting/ learning on the new Shapton 5k. This razor has been in the to do pile for a while and I took it from 1.5 through 12k, then Escher and Ark. In the middle of all that I did some back and forth comparison between the 5k and my Falcon 4k. Call me crazy but the Falcon may polish a little higher. But the Shapton leaves a very consistent, fine pattern, and it's waaaay more pleasant to hone on (for me anyway). Either one leaves a nice setup for the Fuji though.

I think the Shapton is a keeper.
20240315_200112.jpg

8/8 Revisior square pt hollow grind. Demo'd a honing progression for a friend using the Titan on synths, 1k, 2k, 4k, 6k, 10k with an Escher finish. Also honed one of his chisels, 20mm Buck bros cast steel, and a modiffied cobbler knife. Then an 8" chef knife and then back to razors, Greaves 1/4 hollowish 6/8+ and a 6/8 ish SSA hollow.

Testing a wee jnat I bought with a view to cut up for tomo. It seems to be hard and pretty fast. Shave test will reveal how fine it is!

View attachment 1813733
So the good news is, it's a nice razor finisher. The bad news is, it's a good razor finisher and now I don't want to cut it up. Unless... it's already a tomo disguised as a razor finisher, no cuts required? Hmmmm...

So the good news is, it's a nice razor finisher. The bad news is, it's a good razor finisher and now I don't want to cut it up. Unless... it's already a tomo disguised as a razor finisher, no cuts required? Hmmmm...
I have stones like this which i use as a small finisher, and as a nagura for larger stones. You can just use one of the rounded edges and use it as a big nagura. You don't need to cut off any pieces.

I'm on a bit of a roll atm (if I do say so myself)!

Honed this old 1/4 hollow Joseph Rogers in the same manner as the last razor I did; starting on synths with more bench honing than hand, moving to naturals, 'dilucot', with more hand than bench. And again a completely perfect HHT 5 straight off the bat.

King 800 > Naniwa 'Falcon' 4k > Dragon's Tongue > Nantlle Valley (combi, pictured).

IMG_4031 (1).jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

Top Bottom