What's new

Handles for R41?

I think the MR5 is a really nice looking handle, but I'm also interested in something with a little more weight, better balance, etc.
Adding weight generally just adds weight, it doesn't typically improve balance. The R41 head is not unusually heavy such that it requires a 90g handle for balance.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Adding weight generally just adds weight, it doesn't typically improve balance. The R41 head is not unusually heavy such that it requires a 90g handle for balance.

Thanks for the feedback. So, do you use the original Muhle handle for the R41 or do you have a different preference?

Thanks for the feedback. So, do you use the original Muhle handle for the R41 or do you have a different preference?
Since the original handle gets little love I just bought the head and tried it with a bunch of handles. I find the Rockwell 6C handle provides best grip and optimum balance, balance point just below the neck as designed.

proxy.php

I’m tempted to try a new handle on my r41 as I’ve messed up the look of the existing handle in an experiment that went wrong. I like the handle and though definitely slippery when soapy, it just never seems an issue. The balance is toward the head but I like this as it allows the razor to apply its own pressure as the designers’ must’ve intended.
My worry is that changing the handle will throw my technique off and make it harder to use it to its full potential. And changing the handle back again will confuse my poor old muscle memory even more. Or maybe I need a new handle for it to reach it full potential? Who knows?

Since the original handle gets little love I just bought the head and tried it with a bunch of handles. I find the Rockwell 6C handle provides best grip and optimum balance, balance point just below the neck as designed.

proxy.php

Many thanks for the idea of 6c handle. Didn't think about it! It fits 100% correctly and comfortable? I will try it for sure even though I have the Gunmetal version and the head of the R41 is light chrome plated.

I’m tempted to try a new handle on my r41 as I’ve messed up the look of the existing handle in an experiment that went wrong. I like the handle and though definitely slippery when soapy, it just never seems an issue. The balance is toward the head but I like this as it allows the razor to apply its own pressure as the designers’ must’ve intended.
My worry is that changing the handle will throw my technique off and make it harder to use it to its full potential. And changing the handle back again will confuse my poor old muscle memory even more. Or maybe I need a new handle for it to reach it full potential? Who knows?

No, Jake, you won't have any problem on this as long as you keep remembering that "no pressure" thing. I do suggest to change that original handle. I find it sometimes slippery and pretty long for my hands, not sure why Muhle decided to design such a mediocre handle.

Also consider using either the Bulldog handle, or if you want to save some money, the handle of the Parker 97R fits perfectly. It is short, sticks like glue to your fingers, it is heavier than the R41's head and really upgrades it into a smooth razor. Do not think add any pressure as you will end up with red/irritated face.

John, do you use a steep or a shallow angle with the frankenrazor/ with the R41?

All angles in the R41 can shave. The only difference that has a R41 razor with other razors is this:
Try shave with a very steep angle with another razor. It will probably take the lather only and leave the stubble untouchable.
Try doing the same with an R41.It will either scrape your face, or -pressure depending- you will get a perfect shave.

I bought the head only from Maggards, so I don't know what the handle made for it is like, I paired mine with an Ikon Tuckaway handle and I love it.

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-S978L using Tapatalk

I like the handle that comes with the R41. With that said I really like this Ikon Tuckaway handle. I may give it a try.
I don't care for long handles.

Since the original handle gets little love I just bought the head and tried it with a bunch of handles.Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

+1

The handle is lousy and it costs more than the head! I bought mine as the head only at Maggards, and happily spent the $30 I saved on other things. I never seem to have a hard time finding things to spend money on there.:whistling:

No, Jake, you won't have any problem on this as long as you keep remembering that "no pressure" thing. I do suggest to change that original handle. I find it sometimes slippery and pretty long for my hands, not sure why Muhle decided to design such a mediocre handle.

Also consider using either the Bulldog handle, or if you want to save some money, the handle of the Parker 97R fits perfectly. It is short, sticks like glue to your fingers, it is heavier than the R41's head and really upgrades it into a smooth razor. Do not think add any pressure as you will end up with red/irritated face.
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions Randy, I’ll give the bulldog a go it looks really solid.

Its all what you like. Ive been using mine with a Weber Bulldog and it works well because it gives it a good weight and allows you to use very light pressure and simply let the razor do the work.
I recently tried it with a Razorock Bamboo and it works well too, although the RR is quite a bit lighter than the Weber.

UFO Kaiser in stainless seems to work well for me. I don’t remember the original handle, I really bought the razor for the head and probably gave the handle away.

I used to think that heavier handle is better than original Muhle handle. I have changed my mind after using R41 some time and I think the original Muhle handle is better than heavy handles. And Muhle handle in rose gold is beautiful too if that matters :)

I used to think that heavier handle is better than original Muhle handle. I have changed my mind after using R41 some time and I think the original Muhle handle is better than heavy handles. And Muhle handle in rose gold is beautiful too if that matters :)

I agree! The more I used the R41 the more I like the handle! Any handle is slippery when soap gets on it. I just rinse it off and get plenty of grip. I think the balance is fine and I like the look of it!

I like the handle that comes with the R41. With that said I really like this Ikon Tuckaway handle. I may give it a try.
I don't care for long handles.

It’s great. I don’t know if it’s because the shorter handle gives me a greater level of control over the pressure/angle but I get consistent great shaves with this razor/head combo. Even when I used it with the dreaded feather blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s great. I don’t know if it’s because the shorter handle gives me a greater level of control over the pressure/angle but I get consistent great shaves with this razor/head combo. Even when I used it with the dreaded feather blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I ordered one. It will be in today. That's your fault. As soon as I saw it I loved it.

Top Bottom