What's new

Asylum RX razor

I would second your vote regarding the ATT with the caveat that I have the v1, SE2. Many had stated that this head combination was very similar to the SE1, making Stan re-design the SE2 to be slightly more aggressive. I found the v1 SE2 to be about a perfect combination of mild, yet effective, when loaded with the Pro blade. The same razor when loaded with a Pro Super is very close to the RX with respect to aggressiveness and blade feel on the face. I too shave ATG on the 2nd and any subsequent passes.

As much as I like the Rx I do prefer the SE1, with the Pro or Mild blade, due to the fact that I only shave ATG and it is a bit much for me. If I were a more conventional shaver I would definitely think otherwise.

Thanks..... Real quick, have you had any experience with the KAI Captain Blade or the KAI Captain Mild Pink blades? Thanks again....

I have used the Pink in AC type straight handles, but I have not used them in either the RX or the SE2. I find them to be very good and long lasting in the straight razor mode.

I had one blade I retired at around 15 shaves. I am about 5 into my second blade. Sorry I don't have more experience, but too many razors, and not enough shaves in a day.

Well, just finished up on my first shave with the RX. And all of have to say is one word......
WOW!!!!!
This was just an amazing, amazing shave......
WOW!!!!!
Did I just say that before? I'm just still touching my face, so smooth and soft....
WOW!!!!!
Did it again.... sorry fellas, I'm just in awe right now.
Quick thoughts and feelings..
The shave was better than I could have hoped for. First, I will say it was not perfect. Gave myself a nick on the chin, and 5 tiny weepers on the neck and jawline. All relating to my imperfect form and getting accustomed to the razor and blade. It took a few strokes to get the angle and all my mishaps happened on the first pass, WTG. Mia Culpa, period. But, once I got the angle right and used short strokes as if using a straight, it was fantastic. Pass 2 ATG and the finest to date with a safety razor. I was nearly BBS, a quick buff around the jawline and neck, some on the chin and done. Cold water rinse, alum pass that tingled a few spots. Cleaned the brush, razor and blade and another cold water rinse to remove the alum. Dried up,some Thayers medicated and a minute later, some Nivea balm. Gents, I have not stopped touching my face, and this was an hour and a half ago. The razor and blade give excellent feedback once I found the angle. Great balance, even weight distribution and just an excellent tool. I'm babbling here, on and on and this is just the first shave. Just one more thing to say, IT'S GOING TO GET BETTER...... I LOVE THIS RAZOR!!!
:punk:

knew you would like it Gus
I love it. You were on the money...... The KAI Captain Blade was oh so sharp, but very smooth. I was a little careless, with just the slightest irritation in some spots, no fault of the razor or blade. The visual, plus the feel just blew me away. It cuts a nice, wide path practically straight like. This razor has potentially dethroned my no#2 razor of all time, the Merkur Vision. That's how good this RX is.

I should have never looked at this thread. I went so far as to show the wife. Never used an SE so this would be a big jump. Luckily, it isn't a tad cheaper.

I love it. You were on the money...... The KAI Captain Blade was oh so sharp, but very smooth. I was a little careless, with just the slightest irritation in some spots, no fault of the razor or blade. The visual, plus the feel just blew me away. It cuts a nice, wide path practically straight like. This razor has potentially dethroned my no#2 razor of all time, the Merkur Vision. That's how good this RX is.

Unlike the Vision, the only way to change the aggressiveness of the RX is to change the type of blade. Do you typically run the Vision wide open, or do you use intermediate settings? I never had a Vision, but I had a Futur that I PIFed to my son. From what I recall, I typically shaved with it at about half way, but that was before I got into straights and other aggressive means of shaving. As state above, I also have the ATT SE2, and I found that putting the Feather Pro Super in it really increased the aggressiveness compared to the Pro blade. The RX is not designed for the Pro Super blade due to its different dimensions, but there are those here that have reported that they have successfully used them in the RX.

Unlike the Vision, the only way to change the aggressiveness of the RX is to change the type of blade. Do you typically run the Vision wide open, or do you use intermediate settings? I never had a Vision, but I had a Futur that I PIFed to my son. From what I recall, I typically shaved with it at about half way, but that was before I got into straights and other aggressive means of shaving. As state above, I also have the ATT SE2, and I found that putting the Feather Pro Super in it really increased the aggressiveness compared to the Pro blade. The RX is not designed for the Pro Super blade due to its different dimensions, but there are those here that have reported that they have successfully used them in the RX.
The Vision for me is a misunderstood razor. People are on the fence with it since its creation and demise. 50/50 practically right down the middle. From what I have read and in my personal experience, there were 3 things that are by far and away always mentioned about it on why it was not worth to own. Bare with me here a bit:
1. Price. Most expensive razor at the time.
2. Material. Zamak (pot metal as many would refer to it as, whether 3,4,or 5) was and is considered brittle and not as long lasting as brass or stainless.
3. Complexity. Engineering marvel at the time. But there was a lot of moving parts prone to failure and corrosion.
That being said, I've never, ever regretted purchasing the Vision. I love the looks and the design. The workings of the tto mechanism is like eye candy to me. The Shave? Exquisite and light years ahead of anyone else. And imho, still ahead until this RX here. My shaves on the Vision were always set to the second I or the O in VISION. I prefer more blade feel and exposure, more efficient cut, less passes equals little to no irritation whatsoever for me at least. My 1860's Era Wade & Butcher Wedge is my Holy Grail (passed down from my Dad), and this RX just slid in and knocked the Vision out of perch 2. I never thought that was possible, but it just happened. Sorry for babbling, but it has impressed me so this razor from Asylum. Kudos to Phil @BullGoose. Near perfection in my eyes....

:a14:
The Vision for me is a misunderstood razor. People are on the fence with it since its creation and demise. 50/50 practically right down the middle. From what I have read and in my personal experience, there were 3 things that are by far and away always mentioned about it on why it was not worth to own. Bare with me here a bit:
1. Price. Most expensive razor at the time.
2. Material. Zamak (pot metal as many would refer to it as, whether 3,4,or 5) was and is considered brittle and not as long lasting as brass or stainless.
3. Complexity. Engineering marvel at the time. But there was a lot of moving parts prone to failure and corrosion.
That being said, I've never, ever regretted purchasing the Vision. I love the looks and the design. The workings of the tto mechanism is like eye candy to me. The Shave? Exquisite and light years ahead of anyone else. And imho, still ahead until this RX here. My shaves on the Vision were always set to the second I or the O in VISION. I prefer more blade feel and exposure, more efficient cut, less passes equals little to no irritation whatsoever for me at least. My 1860's Era Wade & Butcher Wedge is my Holy Grail (passed down from my Dad), and this RX just slid in and knocked the Vision out of perch 2. I never thought that was possible, but it just happened. Sorry for babbling, but it has impressed me so this razor from Asylum. Kudos to Phil @BullGoose. Near perfection in my eyes....

sweeet :a14::a14::a14::a14:

Top Bottom