What's new

Chubby 2 Synthetic

If you can justify the purchase price to yourself, do not stop, do not pass go, order it immediately.
I have both the ivory and the butterscotch versions. If for some reason I were to lose them, I would immediately order another one.
They are, without question, the best brushes I have had the pleasure of using since I started wet-shaving years ago.
FWIW, both of mine were ordered direct from Simpsons.

Gratuitous humble brag pic:
$20161229_155840.jpg

Last edited:
If you're use to big brushes that hold a lot of lather do yourself a favor and don't buy this brush. I understand the prestige of Simpsons brushes, but the Chubby 2 is my least favorite synthetic brush I own. Just so i'm not totally flamed for these comments my favorite synthetic by far is the Edwin Jagger XL.

If you're use to big brushes that hold a lot of lather do yourself a favor and don't buy this brush. I understand the prestige of Simpsons brushes, but the Chubby 2 is my least favorite synthetic brush I own. Just so i'm not totally flamed for these comments my favorite synthetic by far is the Edwin Jagger XL.

I'm curious here. My CH2 Synths hold enough lather for me to do my usual 3 pass shaves and I end up squeezing out enough for probably 2 more passes when I clean them. Are you having problems getting enough lather without reloading? Not flaming, genuinely curious as what you say is contrary to my personal experience.

I'm curious here. My CH2 Synths hold enough lather for me to do my usual 3 pass shaves and I end up squeezing out enough for probably 2 more passes when I clean them. Are you having problems getting enough lather without reloading? Not flaming, genuinely curious as what you say is contrary to my personal experience.

I'm just used to a bigger brush is all. Like you say it holds enough lather for a 3 pass shave, but just doesn't give it up as well as the 2 Edwin Jagger STF XL brushes that I use regularly, or even a bigger lofted Plisson knot. This was not meant to be a knock on the Chubby2 at all, just a warning for guys that are used to a bigger brush that splays a lot easier than this brush.

I also have a Chubby 2 synthetic and a Muhle STF XL. I prefer the Muhle slightly only because bristles are flared out more to start with. This makes it splay more on my face. It has a nice feel to it. I recently ordered an Edwin Jagger XL as a back-up for the Muhle.
The Chubby 2 is still a great brush to own.

I got one to Canada right from Simpsons a week and a half, half of that was getting from Toronto to me, Simpsons shipping is 10 Pounds, I couldn't find one in Canada and Simpsons had the only butterscotch ones I could find

Same experience here, also got two of them. Unfortunately both of them have the white handle. I bought my first one new and was blown away that I bought the second one a few weeks pre owned for a very good price!

If you can justify the purchase price to yourself, do not stop, do not pass go, order it immediately.
I have both the ivory and the butterscotch versions. If for some reason I were to lose them, I would immediately order another one.
They are, without question, the best brushes I have had the pleasure of using since I started wet-shaving years ago.
FWIW, both of mine were ordered direct from Simpsons.

Gratuitous humble brag pic:
View attachment 718129

I'm not a big synthetic fan boy, but I like my Chubby, though it takes some getting used to. It has much more backbone than typical synthetics. I have to use some effort to make it splay properly, but after getting the technique down the resultant face lathering is very rewarding. It both lathers well and releases well. It provides a nice firm face massage with no scritch or scratch at all. I really prefer my badgers and boars, but this has its place in my rotation and it's my favorite synthetic. Start on the dry side because it seems to release water from a parallel universe as you apply pressure.

I have four Simpsons synthetic brushes two Chubby 2s and two Duke 3s, in ivory and butterscotch. The ivory Chubby 2 was ordered from Straight Razor Designs and the others were ordered directly from Simpsons. I have other brushes (both badger and boar) but rarely use anything other than one of of these four synthetics.

I just received a Chubby 2 Butterscotch synthetic directly from Simpsons (took nearly 30 days). I haven't used it yet, but was surprised by how small it is. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the dimensions other than the knot diameter. I was just expecting it to be bigger. Oh well, I'll give it a try.

I have four Simpsons synthetic brushes two Chubby 2s and two Duke 3s, in ivory and butterscotch. The ivory Chubby 2 was ordered from Straight Razor Designs and the others were ordered directly from Simpsons. I have other brushes (both badger and boar) but rarely use anything other than one of of these four synthetics.

How do the duke 3 synthetics perform?

I'm having a heck of a time getting this brush to release lather. There's tons of lather deep in the brush but it won't come out unless I aggressively palm lather and then apply by hand. Any suggestions? Face lathering doesn't work particularly well. Hard to make brush splay and when I do it loses its softness.....

Top Bottom