What's new

OneBlade: $588 razor? Really?

See, I don't accept statements like these as adequate answers. If someone likes X, then I ask them the reasons for X, and if I dislike something for Y reason, then I ask them to address Y. That's how an exchange of information works. "People like what they like" is just a recipe for noncommunication and failure to inform.

But if someone likes X, and Y is a non-issue for that someone, it being the price in this case, how else are they going to address it?

But if someone likes X, and Y is a non-issue for that someone, it being the price in this case, how else are they going to address it?

They can say, for example:

1. The price is not an issue for me, because I have the disposable funds to spend $588 on anything without it making a dent in my expenses.

But, of course, that's not enough, because if $588 is nothing to you, then $250, or $100, or $50, or $1 is equally nothing to you, so there's still more to say, such as:

2. The styling of this thing is unique and it's far better than the $100, $50, or $1 razor. I love the way it looks on my granite bathroom counter.

Or:

3. I tried it out, and it's really the easiest way for me to get the kind of shave that I want.

Or:

4. It makes me feel good to get things that most people can't even consider buying because of the price.

... and those are just a few examples. One could come up with many more. And that's the point, that any one person will have some way of explaining a preference, beyond just "that's my preference," and when you get into that conversation is when you start learning things about people and the world and things in the world.

I have been wet-shaving for over 40 years. I used a cart for 3 years in college in the early 70's and than started wet-shaving.
I have used a gazzillion different razors in that time. I picked up a oneblade when it first came out for $299. IMO,it is the best damn razor period I have ever used.Period.

I believe the reviews of those here who have them and love them, and I'm happy for their satisfaction. And when I think about it, I don't have a problem with people buying and selling whatever they want for whatever they agree upon. But I must admit that my initial reaction to the the OneBlade has been (and continues to be) "Oh come on." Something deep down in me balks at the idea of something that is seemingly produced and priced for collectors right out of the gate.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Different strokes for different folks, I say!

proxy.php

I think all of us can highly recommend a different SE razor at a fraction of the cost and when you add up all of our suggestions, it will still come out less than the OneBlade Set. However, OneBlade is not a fool. They wouldn't sell at that price if they didn't think enough people would buy at that price. For myself, I would rather make my mortgage payment than buy a OneBlade Set.

Absolutely 100% agree. I would love a OneBlade.

I bought my Streamline before they were thought to be worth their weight in gold. I have lots of vintage razors, and since I am vintage (69) I have no desire for a "new or better" razor than I have. That may not be a progressive attitude I will allow others to keep the new horizons blazing.

To each their own. Whose to say a good pivoting head single edge cartridge razor wont do the same thing.

When is enough enough? Part of the fun of shaving is learning your face and perfecting your technique. This thing is cheating.
Why not just pay a professional to give you a straight edge shave every morning. Then you can just sit back and relax. There is a local shop near me that will do just that for around 20 dollars. Which works out to about 600 a month. No big deal for you "wont make a dent in my finances" guys. :)

I just came across this OneBlade dealio — https://www.onebladeshave.com/holidayspecial/

The "Signature Shave Set" is priced at $588—currently discounted to $399. Seriously? For all the talk folks do about the economy of wet shaving, this is for real?

Can anyone make an argument that this is worth the price?

That's only part of the story. It uses an exclusive blade that cost a buck and (of course) they recommend you use only once. Well add another $350.00 a year to that initial cost. It's nice looking an all, but nope for me. But as always in this business - each to their own.

preidy uh no.You can also use a gem blade which is readily available,cuts closer than any DE blade, last longer than any DE blade per shave and costs $28.00 for 200 blades which I have been using in the oneblade for the last year and have used a total of about 10 gem blades. Not being mean,but your post has no facts in it.

preidy uh no.You can also use a gem blade which is readily available,cuts closer than any DE blade, last longer than any DE blade per shave and costs $28.00 for 200 blades which I have been using in the oneblade for the last year and have used a total of about 10 gem blades. Not being mean,but your post has no facts in it.

Interesting, I didn't know you could use other blades. I agree, the Gems are pretty sweet. I use one in a 1912 Gem Jr. that I paid $10 for and get as good a shave as I have with anything else. You aren't the only one to say you are getting the best shaves of any other system with the oneblade so good on you. Do you feel you are missing out on shave quality not throwing out a blade after every shave? At $.14 a blade, it wouldn't be nearly as weird as the $1 you would pay for the Feathers.

Those Feather SE blades are very good, I get 7-10 shaves with them in my Auto-Strops. Plus you can get them from other vendors, not just Oneblade. The recommendation to use once and toss is just more marketing hooey.

Those Feather SE blades are very good, I get 7-10 shaves with them in my Auto-Strops. Plus you can get them from other vendors, not just Oneblade. The recommendation to use once and toss is just more marketing hooey.
I agree that the Feather SE blades are very good but I can only get about 2 to 3 shaves with my Streamline. Also we have no problems getting them here in the UK.

Feather blades dull very fast and I have used them in the oneblade for 2-3 shaves. They are the sharpest blade on the market but the problem is,here in the USA they are not available in bulk,only per 10 pack and they are too much money at 2-3 shaves per blade. The gem ALMOST shaves as close and is a fraction of the cost. I used to get FHS-10 blades from Connault shaving in the UK but they won't ship to America anymore. Probably ties into the oneblade contract with feather. I just find it amazing that the majority of this thread has been bashing the oneblade and its price,yet it is obvious to me that those bashing it have never even used a oneblade and I find that laughable. Many,many threads on many forums have discussed the oneblade,its been out for about 2 years, and yet some guys in this thread seem to think its brand new. Yes, they raised the price,but they came out with a new version of the razor. I am not a fanboy of the oneblade,have been wet-shaving for over 40 years,I still use different SE'e and a Mergress,but the Oneblade gives awesome,close BBS shaves and to me it was very much worth the 299 I spent on it. Its not even the most I have ever spent on a razor but it is the closest shave I have ever gotten.

Last edited:
Top Bottom