What's new

OneBlade: $588 razor? Really?

Interesting, I didn't know you could use other blades. I agree, the Gems are pretty sweet. I use one in a 1912 Gem Jr. that I paid $10 for and get as good a shave as I have with anything else. You aren't the only one to say you are getting the best shaves of any other system with the oneblade so good on you. Do you feel you are missing out on shave quality not throwing out a blade after every shave? At $.14 a blade, it wouldn't be nearly as weird as the $1 you would pay for the Feathers.

Well I guess I stand corrected as I was not aware that there was a substitute blade. It's great that you've found an alternate blade to help defray the cost of O-Blade ownership. However I do stand by these facts. Each O-Blade (blade) does cost around a buck and the company does recommend (and we know why) that you use the blade only once. So my main point is the cost of the priority blade not the quality of the razor.

preidy uh no.You can also use a gem blade which is readily available,cuts closer than any DE blade, last longer than any DE blade per shave and costs $28.00 for 200 blades which I have been using in the oneblade for the last year and have used a total of about 10 gem blades. Not being mean,but your post has no facts in it.

Well I guess I stand corrected as I was not aware that there was a substitute blade. It's great that you've found an alternate blade to help defray the cost of O-Blade ownership. However I do stand by these facts. Each O-Blade (blade) does cost around a buck and the company does recommend (and we know why) that you use the blade only once. So my main point is the cost of the priority blade not the quality of the razor. Regards Pat

Well I guess I stand corrected as I was not aware that there was a substitute blade. It's great that you've found an alternate blade to help defray the cost of O-Blade ownership. However I do stand by these facts. Each O-Blade (blade) does cost around a buck and the company does recommend (and we know why) that you use the blade only once. So my main point is the cost of the priority blade not the quality of the razor. Regards Pat

Hi--Yes I agree with that. I was getting 2 shaves per feather, and buying the blades in bulk from Connaught in the U.K. Since they won't ship to USA anymore,I decided to just use the gems. I bought 200 blades for $ 22 2 years ago and have not used more than 70 of them,making the cost of blades for oneblade dirt cheap. I get about 7 shaves from the gems per blade.

I only have version 1,but from what I have read on the various forums,no , they made the slot where the blade sits a little wider.
Just to inquire and to get some info from you if I may. I just purchased V1.0 OB from an individual who had purchased a couple of them some time ago. I believe #00397 if I'm correct. I've been a straight and de shaver for over 30 years, decided to try my hand with an se razor. My question is this, upon reading various threads here concerning the OB, many have had success in using a gem blade as a substitute for the Feather blade. I keep reading about a process of "despining" the gem blade so that it can work with the OB, thus saving costs on blade usage, since they are cheaper in comparison to the feathers. Any special tool or extra procedures in making them fit properly? Any cutting or trimming besides just removing the spine of the gem blade? I won't be getting the OB until Monday or Tuesday, plus it will come with 60 of the Feather fhs-10 blades. I believe that's plenty to get started. But, it's good to have a choice and options especially when the Feather blades are not readily available and very pricey $$$$. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Regards, Gus

Just to inquire and to get some info from you if I may. I just purchased V1.0 OB from an individual who had purchased a couple of them some time ago. I believe #00397 if I'm correct. I've been a straight and de shaver for over 30 years, decided to try my hand with an se razor. My question is this, upon reading various threads here concerning the OB, many have had success in using a gem blade as a substitute for the Feather blade. I keep reading about a process of "despining" the gem blade so that it can work with the OB, thus saving costs on blade usage, since they are cheaper in comparison to the feathers. Any special tool or extra procedures in making them fit properly? Any cutting or trimming besides just removing the spine of the gem blade? I won't be getting the OB until Monday or Tuesday, plus it will come with 60 of the Feather fhs-10 blades. I believe that's plenty to get started. But, it's good to have a choice and options especially when the Feather blades are not readily available and very pricey $$$$. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Regards, Gus

Click here: GEM PTFE Modification Instructions for OneBlade

Regards, Gus
I'm in the same boat, as I just got delivery of my V1 used OB. I don't have a Gem blade to try it, but the V1 will take a de-spined Gem from what I hear. What I'm not aware of is the quality of the shave using the Gem against the dedicated Feather. If we fork out a small fortune to buy one of the best shavers we do I believe care a lot about the quality of the shave and to enhance the good experience I think cost of the feather blade will not be a factor if it shaves better than the Gem.
I'm of the opinion that the OB team came out with the later version to eliminate the possibility of using any other blade than the dedicated Feather. I have seen a video however that even with this new version the gem can be used if clipped at the sides. Some people have succeeded some have destroyed the blade in the process.
Availability of the AC SE's though in this neck of the woods is practically non existent.( I live in Cyprus).
Paul from Connaught gave me the feather e-mail and I got the green light from Feather to be able to buy them from Connaught. In fact I got some last week.
So any of you gents can pronounce on the effectiveness of the Gem against the Feather in the OB?

Wonder if OneBlade will release a V3 that takes a custom Feather AC type blade that's been shortened by Feather to OneBlade's specifications? The off the shelf FHS-10 is not the optimal size, seems to me it's too wide for a clean sheet design like the OneBlade.

I'm in the same boat, as I just got delivery of my V1 used OB. I don't have a Gem blade to try it, but the V1 will take a de-spined Gem from what I hear. What I'm not aware of is the quality of the shave using the Gem against the dedicated Feather. If we fork out a small fortune to buy one of the best shavers we do I believe care a lot about the quality of the shave and to enhance the good experience I think cost of the feather blade will not be a factor if it shaves better than the Gem.
I'm of the opinion that the OB team came out with the later version to eliminate the possibility of using any other blade than the dedicated Feather. I have seen a video however that even with this new version the gem can be used if clipped at the sides. Some people have succeeded some have destroyed the blade in the process.
Availability of the AC SE's though in this neck of the woods is practically non existent.( I live in Cyprus).
Paul from Connaught gave me the feather e-mail and I got the green light from Feather to be able to buy them from Connaught. In fact I got some last week.
So any of you gents can pronounce on the effectiveness of the Gem against the Feather in the OB?

I haven't received mine yet, but according to all the posts concerning the OB, and using the Gem blade it seems that it has done a pretty decent job in giving a close shave. Maybe perhaps not as sharp of a blade as the Feather, but it gets the job done at a substantially lower price point. Also having an option or options is a good thing. I'm just excited on getting this razor delivered and taking a test run with it. So far, you are one of the lucky few that can purchase the Feather blade outside of signing up for a subscription to OB. I'm sure there are more that can, but I believe that's just a small, privileged group that can obtain them because of circumstances such as yours. Enjoy the shaves amigo....:thumbup1:

Regards, Gus
sorry for being late Gus. Yes to despine the gem,just take pliers and rock the spine back and forth gently and it comes right off. As far as which blade shaves closer, I used the Gems but got a better shave with the feathers. I can get BBs with a lot of razors,but I judge razors on the longevity of the BBs, and for me the feather BBS lasts longer than the BBS with the Gems.--Hope that helps

sorry for being late Gus. Yes to despine the gem,just take pliers and rock the spine back and forth gently and it comes right off. As far as which blade shaves closer, I used the Gems but got a better shave with the feathers. I can get BBs with a lot of razors,but I judge razors on the longevity of the BBs, and for me the feather BBS lasts longer than the BBS with the Gems.--Hope that helps
No worries or apologies needed friend. Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Hi--Yes I agree with that. I was getting 2 shaves per feather, and buying the blades in bulk from Connaught in the U.K. Since they won't ship to USA anymore,I decided to just use the gems. I bought 200 blades for $ 22 2 years ago and have not used more than 70 of them,making the cost of blades for oneblade dirt cheap. I get about 7 shaves from the gems per blade.

This is good to know - I bought several hundred from Maggards. I do find all the fuss about the cost of blades odd though. Not just for the One Blade - but for DE, SE razors in general. Its not that I'm cost insensitive, I just define performance differently. I rarely use a blade more than once - exception being the AC blades - I use them 3-5 times. I have read endless discussions on how proud people are for the mileage they get out of a single blade. That is a fine measure of performance and one that is important to some. For me its all about the sharpest most efficient shave, which generally means using a blade once. I also had a nasty allergic reaction to something or other and I was told that leaving a wet razor in the shower or a wet blade in the razor could be allowing bacteria/mold/fungus to grow - ultimately getting on and irritating my skin - so I got in the habit of dumping the blade after one use, and spraying the razor in alcohol after every use. So hygiene is another performance measure. In any event - I find the strength of opinions on cost of blades somewhat unexpected - I thought the majority switched to traditional equipment and methods because the shave was better #1 - the lower cost was just a bonus. But I think more are attracted to the low cost of consumables than I realized. None the less, the One Blade is a good razor with a unique design. Unless their goal is to go out of business and short their investors, I'm sure they are pricing the razor to fit either A) their business plan or B) what the market will bear.

My quick take on the V1 OneBlade that I received yesterday. Just a quick thought on how it looked and performed. A more thorough review will be generated in a dedicated post once I get a few more shaves in.
I received the package and was thoroughly impressed on OneBlade's presentation, packaging and the info cards included with its razor. First class and very high end. I received the razor, stand, 60 blades, a badger travel brush, Castle Forbes pre shave & post shave balm. And the leather box it comes in. Top notch all around.
Enough of that. Let's get to my first impression of the razor and blade combo and how the shave felt.
Loaded the Feather fhs-10 blade very easily, snapped right in. Did the whole routine, shower, face scrub and prep and got to it. Used WSP Ol' Kentucky soap, Zenith Silvertip Badger and got my 3 pass shave on with 2 days stubble.
Pass 1 WTG N-S was smooth and efficient. Used no pressure, as if I was using one of my DE's. Cut the whiskers nicely.
Pass 2 ATG S-N from neck to sideburns was very smooth and quick! Adams apple is my tough spot with just under the jawline being another, but it moved through it quickly and effortlessly. DFS, could have stopped there. Really good.
Pass 3 XTG sideburns to nose, both sides. Very nice, nipped a couple stragglers around the neck and chin, maybe 10 second buff and it was over.
BBS, first time out without even concentrating or thinking through technique or mode of attack. Can't say if the spring pivot came into play, which I'm sure it did, just didn't feel like it. The Feather was a Feather. Excellent sharpness and smoothness. Rinsed, alum pass (hardly no feedback, tiny bit under jawline), rinsed, Thayers W/H and Nivea sensitive a/s balm. 5 minutes, +- a few seconds. It went so fast I was shocked. Am I impressed? Yes, absolutely. It was an excellent shave. Want to get a few more shaves under my belt to guage longevity of the shave and blade life. So far, so good. Will it contend for space in my shave den with some of the heavy hitters I have? Don't know, but I'm not betting against it. :shaving:

All you say corresponds with my reactions. The Oneblade presentation certainly sets you up to expect good results.
You and I experienced the same feelings about our early shaves. I am anxious to know how many good shaves you get from the Feather blade.
Regards,
Ron

All you say corresponds with my reactions. The Oneblade presentation certainly sets you up to expect good results.
You and I experienced the same feelings about our early shaves. I am anxious to know how many good shaves you get from the Feather blade.
Regards,
Ron
Couldn't have said it better myself. OneBlade sets you up for a premium experience as soon as you put your hands on the package. Premium quality and experience through and through.

Second shave with the V1 OneBlade razor this evening. Same set up as the first shave with the only difference being I used my Zenith Best Badger and Asylum Shave Works soap Frankincense and Myrrh. Shower, face scrub and prep and got to it. Loaded the same blade that I used on the first shave, quick alcohol soak and dry, flipped over on the other side as I marked one side as a reference for keeping track of my shaves on both sides of the Feather blade. 2 day stubble to clear out.
Pass 1 WTG N-S a nice, smooth quick pass on both sides of my face. Blade felt smoother and just as precise as the first shave. Reduced the hairs very efficiently. Same technique as if using one of my de's.
Pass 2 ATG S-N from the neck to the sideburns and this pass was very, very smooth. The Feather blade actually felt smoother and cleaner cutting. Not expecting that for sure. Not sure if the Asylum soap helped with this, because the lather and slickness it provided was awesome. Great 2nd pass. Could have called it a shave there.
Pass 3 XTG sideburns to nose, both sides. This was quick work. The second pass had almost left me at BBS. Buffed the chin area and Adam's apple area, finished off with a quick stroke or 2 under the jawline to the ear, put the razor down and ran my hands on my face and my known trouble spots, BBS and my face felt like smooth, stretched out leather. Not once did I feel any tugging or pull from the Feather. Excellent shave. Thorough rinse, quick alum pass with just the slightest tingle on the last quarter of my jawline. Cleaned the brush, bowl, razor and blade and another cold water rinse to clear out the alum. Thayers and Nivea, done deal.
I'm amazed at how quick I was going through my shave. Each pass was quick and nonchalant like. I actually shaved with some good pace to see if I can create a little carelessness through each pass. Not a single issue. Just a really, really good shave. And the thing is, technique doesn't have to be perfect or precise. Round 2 and the winner is my face. Great razor, great blade and a great soap. Let's see if the Feather can get me through shave 3. If it does, game changer....:thumbup:

finger-on-trigger.jpg
You might have to speak to the company if you want an argument. They recently raised the price of the razor from $299 to $399 without any explanation, and now your only choice is to buy it with the extras that they are suggesting are worth $189...so $399 is a screaming deal. :tongue_sm

I own a OneBlade. Does it shave me better than the countless vintage and modern SEs I have owned? Yes. However, as Go West Young Man noted, any razor can do the job.
+1.......now you have me interested

Top Bottom