Blade: Feather
Brush: Omega 20102 Professional Boar
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
Aftershave: Nivea Energy AS Splash / Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Pomade of the Day: Grandad's Heavyweight
Cologne of the Day: Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree

Ben

Ben,

Can you post a picture of your soap? I'm curious to see what it looks like after 62 shaves.

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay. Here is my D.R. Harris Marlborough after 66 shaves (imagine it 4 shaves heavier :biggrin1: ).

$DSCN7181.jpg$DSCN7182.jpg

It's quite dished out.... and I don't know that the photos show that very well. I still think I will get 80 to 90 shaves total out of the puck.

Ben

I like the Stirling samples. Gives me a good variety without having to use a soap forever and ever. High quality soap to boot.

strop

Now half as wise
The ring of AOS Sandalwood broke into pieces today. I may have to try to move it to a different container to mash them together, but I should get close to another week. If I have to work too hard then the remaining pieces will become a part of my Frankenpuck. That will be interesting when I fianlly get around to it!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Try using a garlic press to make rice-a-roni-soap. The output should be easily squishable into a new mini-puck.

D.R. Harris Marlborough - Shave #67

Saturday Afternoon

Prep:
Shower / Baxter of California Daily Face Wash
Razor: Merkur Mergress Short Handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Semogue 830 Boar
Soap: D.R. Harris Marlborough
Post: Cold water rinse / witch hazel / brain teaser questions (from my 11 year old daughter)
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport AS Lotion / Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Pomade of the Day: Bees Knees
Cologne of the Day: Creed Green Irish Tweed

Ben

50+ shaves from my tube of Proraso Blue and at least one more day in it.

Here are a couple cell phone pics from the lather I get daily from it. As you can see, it's in a hot scuttle, and has a nice sheen to it with all the water it holds.

Fantastic Cream.

$2014-04-12 08.50.33.jpg

That is some impressive lather Bruce!

+1. That is stunning. Well done, sir!

Thanks and now you know why I have been gushing over this cream since the first shave.

This was an actual shave lather (not a test or for pic purpose) and they have been consistant the entire 3017 process.

Cella is calling me, but the Blue is not giving up yet.

Here is the second pic I took, but the lighting wasn't as good...lather still shows though.
$IMG_20140412_085352.jpg

Last edited:
I finished my Haslinger Sage on Friday morning and it was a somewhat sad feeling. That little puck had provided over two months of fantastic shaving.

Next in line is a jar of Martin de Candre- the regular scented version. My first shave (yesterday morning) was somewhat underwhelming- loved the scent but found that the lather wasn't up to the quality of that which I produced from my Haslinger soap.

The journey continues.

I finished up the MdC scented yesterday. The was a small ring left around the bottom that I scooped out and added to my frankensoap dish of Arko, QCS Iced Key Lime, and RazoRock XXX (original).

It ended up lasting 77 shaves from 1/26-4/12 for 2.7g per shave. The Simpson Chubby 2 brush I used for the last week killed the rest of the MdC which had a creamy consistency near the end. I was probably using 5g per shave.

On to an easier task for now, half of a Palmolive stick (only 24g left).

Here's my log so far (not including samples):

8/18/2012-10/23/2012 Proraso green tube (70%)
11/16/2012-1/13/2013 Williams (modern)
3/8/2013-6/21/2013 Cella (80%)
7/4/2013-9/23/2013 QCS Iced Key Lime
9/24/2013-10/28/2013 RazoRock XXX (80%?)
12/6/2013-1/25/2014 RazoRock S. Maria
1/26/2014-4/12/2014 Martin de Candre scented

Second shave with MdC. The lather looked somewhat better and felt good but I did end up with a couple of small weepers- maybe it doesn't provide the protection which I am used to.

Second shave with MdC. The lather looked somewhat better and felt good but I did end up with a couple of small weepers- maybe it doesn't provide the protection which I am used to.

Bummer on the MdC, but has me looking forward to using my Hasslinger sheep soap.

My Blue gave me one last shave. I squeezed the remaining tube into a sample container to make sure there enough for a shave and there was. Likely two shaves worth bit I am going to let a buddy give them a try before it is all gone.

One last perfect bowl lather:
$2014-04-13 09.33.15.jpg

Pic of disected tube and finally numbers will follow shortly.

Last edited:
It's done! $8 tube of cream, 55 shaves, 2.73ml(g) per shave which is one of my lower used/shave product and it's a cream.

I was able to squeeze the exact amount out each shave as I bowl lathered it from start to finish. My DB has the webbed ridges and I picked a spot and gave it a sqeeze the length of that little ridge and it was perfect every day. The cream was amazing from day one, no issues with any part of it. It held up to the hottest water from my tap and the scuttle and showed no signs of break down. Post shave feel and irritation was no problem and I did not find it drying in the slightest.

It seems to hold water very well, but I always started with my soaked brush, squeeze the knot at the base and then lathered in the bowl adding drops as I saw fit. This left me with 3 luxurious passes that were thick, creamy, slick and cushioning. After the third pass, I always applied a layer to my face while I cleaned the brush, sink, scuttle etc. This is a regular for me and factors in to how much product I use. The scent was mild and manly. Not Anise like MW or Stirling which are strong, polarizing and in our face. This is very laid back and any AS can follow it with no risk of conflicting scents, as it seems to wash away with the final rinse.

Overall, this is one of the most economical creams I have ever used, but also one of, if not the best cream I have used. I will not hesitate to purchase again and highly recommend anyone looking for a quality cream to give it a try.

The tube was dissected to see how much is lost in a tube vs a tub, and there was very little in there. This proves to me that tubs and tubs are close enough in product usage to not worry about how much is left inside after the final squeeze.

Proraso Blue gets two HUGE thumbs up from me. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Next Up....Cella red tub.

Tube after final squeeze:
$2014-04-13 14.06.03.jpg

Side shot:
$2014-04-13 14.06.45.jpg

Dissected:
$2014-04-13 14.08.37.jpg

Scraped from inside tube:
$2014-04-13 14.10.01.jpg

My next victim:
$2014-04-13 14.13.45.jpg

Last edited:
This Cella Red tub is a nice little container but I can tell it's not going to work well.

I expect my tub to last approx 30-50 shaves and don't mind leaving it uncovered....so a transplant was in order.

$uploadfromtaptalk1397425126576.jpg $uploadfromtaptalk1397425186797.jpg

Nearly finished with a tub of cella, I've been using for about 6 weeks. I suspect it has 7-10 days left. I've enjoyed it but ready for the next victim.

Top Bottom