What's new

My Guess... 3017

Thanks. I also thought it may be the brush as I reached for my Semogue 610 and face lathered...so today, I grabbed one of the softest brushes I own, Rooney ST2 and got similar irritation.

It seemed to not be instant reaction, but slowly grew and could feel a bit on pass three and then during the rinse it was visible.

I will try to test it out tonight once my face has settled down a bit.

I had reactions to both MdC and Mamma Bears. In both cases the first few shaves in a row would be fine, the 4th or 5th shave would give me a slight burning that felt similar t razor burn. The burning would build from there each shave. It got to the point I would have a reaction if I put it on my face at all.

It's a shame because both those soaps are good and now I don't have them anymore.

In unrelated news, I took a break from my Tabac frankensoap today and yesterday and tried out my Mike's Hungarian lavender. It was leaps and bounds better than the Tabac. I might toss the last 60 grams or so, not sure yet. Regardless, it's having a time out.

strop

Now half as wise
The ring of AOS broke apart yesterday morning. I thought I could get a few more shaves, but I ended up pressing them into my tub of Frankensoap. I couldn't really decide what to use next, but ended up starting on an orphan puck of Trumper's Violet. I got this on the BST not long after I joined in a big lot of soaps. It doesn't get very good reviews anymore,and I thought I'd test it out for myself. Sort of like trying an old reformulation right after a new reformulation.

Based on one shave, Trumper's fouled one off, compared to AOS triple. I did end up with an irritation free shave, but the lather quality was clearly inferior to any of the last several soaps I've used. With the exception of the TFS, and the just completed AOS, they have all been tallow based. Those two however, performed admirably, so I don't think that is the issue. I'll continue with this for at least a week to see if I can get it better. We shall see.

My journey so far.

Arlington (80+%) 8 Oct 2012 to 13 Jan 2013 Note there were 4 travel shaves and about 10 shaves finishing a tub of Mr. Taylor's Cream.
TFS Rose (32g) 14 Jan 2013 to 31 Jan 2013
Valobra stick (51g) 1 Feb 2013 to 6 March 2013
Haslinger Coconut (60g) 7 March 2013 to 26 April 2013
Arlington Cream (weight tbd) 27 March to 10 Aug 2013 Used to make superlather. Especially nice with AOS Unscented
AOS tallow unscented added (75g) 8 May to 18 July 2013 61 shaves, taking out the days I was traveling
QCS Vostok 19 July 2013 to 4 Sept 2013 (44 shaves)
Valobra Menthol 5 Sept 2013 to 12 Oct 2013 33 shaves. The rest were travel days.
Tabac 13 Oct 2013 to 31 Dec 2013 77+ shaves. There were 2 or 3 left that got moved to the Frankensoap tub.
AOS Sandalwood (new formula) 1 Jan 2014 to 14 April 2014 92 shaves
Trumpers Violet 15 April 2014 to ???

And the journey continues....

brucered

System Generated
I did a test on my cheeks tonight and both felt tingling and a bit of almost slight burning (not extreme) by the time I was done a 3rd test lather on cheeks.

The Cella was a PIF, and I will PIF it along. We have a new DE shaver we converted at work, he's already hooked and placing orders online getting them shipped to the office, so I cleaned up the Cella, removed a layer, rinsed and placed back in clean Red Tub. Hopefully it works out for him as the lather and actual shaves were great with it, but for some reason my skin did not like it. I'd love to stick it out and keep at the Cella or air it out, but I don't want to take another chance with my skin as it was 2 uncomfortable entire days.

I'm not doing so well lately with my soaps....MdC, Harris, Cella. Some big names taking me down, so it's on to a little guy from my 3017 PIF that I received last year and one that everyone has been raving about.....Haslinger mit Schafmilch & Lanolin.

It has been weight, cut and pressed into my soap dish. 61.6g of soap, starting tomorrow and hopefully no issues...fingers crossed.

​ $2014-04-15 18.54.23.jpg$2014-04-15 19.01.24.jpg

I did a test on my cheeks tonight and both felt tingling and a bit of almost slight burning (not extreme) by the time I was done a 3rd test lather on cheeks.

The Cella was a PIF, and I will PIF it along. We have a new DE shaver we converted at work, he's already hooked and placing orders online getting them shipped to the office, so I cleaned up the Cella, removed a layer, rinsed and placed back in clean Red Tub. Hopefully it works out for him as the lather and actual shaves were great with it, but for some reason my skin did not like it. I'd love to stick it out and keep at the Cella or air it out, but I don't want to take another chance with my skin as it was 2 uncomfortable entire days.

I'm not doing so well lately with my soaps....MdC, Harris, Cella. Some big names taking me down, so it's on to a little guy from my 3017 PIF that I received last year and one that everyone has been raving about.....Haslinger mit Schafmilch & Lanolin.

It has been weight, cut and pressed into my soap dish. 61.6g of soap, starting tomorrow and hopefully no issues...fingers crossed.

​View attachment 436979View attachment 436980

Super jealous. I have sworn that Panna Crema is next after MdC, but all the Haslinger love in this thread has me wanting to crack open a fresh puck of Schafmilch. Hmmm.

Why cut a perfectly good soap into chunks? Could this be why the soaps are turning on you?

Super jealous. I have sworn that Panna Crema is next after MdC, but all the Haslinger love in this thread has me wanting to crack open a fresh puck of Schafmilch. Hmmm.

Do it!

brucered

System Generated
Why cut a perfectly good soap into chunks? Could this be why the soaps are turning on you?

Cutting it is just to form in to the container and doesn't affect the soap composition. Same as cutting and apple and eating it vs eating it whole....both ways it's still an apple.

MdC and Cella were not cut. The Haslinger is so small and doesn't really taken well to any containers...so it was cut and pressed.

Last edited:
Cutting it is just to form in to the container and doesn't affect the soap composition. Same as cutting and apple and eating it vs eating it whole....both ways it's still an apple.

MdC and Cella were not cut. The Haslinger is so small and doesn't really taken well to any containers...so it was cut and pressed.

I'm just teasing. It is quite a small puck. I found it sat nicely in the middle of an old spice mug. And it has worn down evenly with no bowling so far. Hope you like it, cause it seems to last way longer than its supposed to.

brucered

System Generated
I'm just teasing. It is quite a small puck. I found it sat nicely in the middle of an old spice mug. And it has worn down evenly with no bowling so far. Hope you like it, cause it seems to last way longer than its supposed to.

Phew, you had me worried there. :wacko:

I'm looking forward to it and just hope it works out.

It has grown since pressing it. I used a tiny bit of water to press it down and like the growing Harris pucks, it now weighs more then when I initially weighed it.

Last edited:
all the Haslinger love in this thread has me wanting to crack open a fresh puck of Schafmilch. Hmmm.

Same here. On the Haslinger bandwagon and the next soap will be either Schafmilch or Marigold.

About a week left in my AOS tallow lavender puck.

Brucered, if it's any consolation on your Cella, my Stirling Sandalwood that's been airing out for probably around 2 months slowly built up to a burn on my face tonight when I lathered and applied to my face. So airing out may or may not work for some but for me did not work on this soap.

So this one is off to somewhere else, not sure where yet. I'll have to weigh it and see how much is there, might not even be worth PIF'ing since it was only a sample puck to start and I've lathered it a few times now. May just end up in the bin.

Has anyone ever used a soap as an air freshener? :)

Top Bottom