What's new

How do you figure out what JNat to get?

Sure but thats the hobby part of it. Like owning 50 straight razors. you only need 2 at most but we like more. they do have value so at then end of the day you can sell them.

Sure but thats the hobby part of it. Like owning 50 straight razors. you only need 2 at most but we like more. they do have value so at then end of the day you can sell them.

Yeah...I keep telling myself that...then I buy another razor (BUY, rarely sell). lol

Your progression sounds good. Look at the blade with a loupe before and after your tomo. You should see some polishing going on. Try another tomo slurry and see. If you have more tomos by all means try them. If that doesnt do it i would do 2 mejiro and koma slurries. These are polishing stages so they will definitely not hurt your edge and will almost definitely refine the edge further. Really thin slurry at the end of the tomos really helps. Rinse the stone like 3/4 of the way and finish on that tiny slurry thats left. The feedback is there, you may not have noticed it yet. But you will.
edit: Use uniform pressure on all your naguras and save the light strokes for your x strokes at the end of each progression. very light pressure may not be working the slurry completely.

Keeping variables to a minimum, I did the full nagura progression on my Henckels this morning, ending with the 3/4 rinse and really thin slurry. Two things: I never observed a change in bevel appearance (i.e. polishing) between the koma and tomo finishes, and the one change I added didn't make a difference in the shave. HHT was mediocre, as was the shave.

I think I'll next incorporate the 2 meijiro and koma slurries you recommend.

Oh, and I think I'm noticing the 'feedback' with a bit more attention on my part; the feel of the razor over the stone progresses from a smooth gliding motion to 'feeling' the stone's surface through friction. At least I think that's what feedback is.

What you can try is a very fast and light progression. Use very small slurries (very light rubs, a couple just enough to see slurry)and work them quickly, as soon as you feel a tiny bit of resistance, stop and do the next one. And try that also. Overworking the finish stage for me also has a tendency to over do the edge(harsh). Its a trial and error thing but as long as you dont do what didnt work the time before, you will surely find it. You can also eliminate botan as another alternative and use tenjou 2 mejiros and 2 koma. Make sure the bevel is 100% set is a given, I didnt mention that before. You can try the edge after koma. Sometimes polishing the edge makes it look scratchier as the shine is like turning the light on. Or try using a very small dia plate slurry instead of the tomo. Keep us posted. Maybe a slurry photo when you raise it and then what it looks like when your moving to the next nagura would help us see whats what with the slurry.

Last edited:
What you can try is a very fast and light progression. Use very small slurries (very light rubs, a couple just enough to see slurry)and work them quickly, as soon as you feel a tiny bit of resistance, stop and do the next one. And try that also. Overworking the finish stage for me also has a tendency to over do the edge(harsh). Its a trial and error thing but as long as you dont do what didnt work the time before, you will surely find it. You can also eliminate botan as another alternative and use tenjou 2 mejiros and 2 koma. Make sure the bevel is 100% set is a given, I didnt mention that before. You can try the edge after koma. Sometimes polishing the edge makes it look scratchier as the shine is like turning the light on. Or try using a very small dia plate slurry instead of the tomo. Keep us posted. Maybe a slurry photo when you raise it and then what it looks like when your moving to the next nagura would help us see whats what with the slurry.

I'm still working with your other recommendations; today I did a full nagura progression on the Henckels again, but I added an extra meijiro and koma slurry, still finishing on very light kiita slurry (after 3 dilutions). I did see the tomo slurry polish the bevel. HHT was only slightly better, as was the shave. Frustrated, I decided to see if other finishers I have could improve the edge: first I tried a Zulu Grey (water only) and then a small Thuringian--HHT never improved with either one. I figured the bevel was fine, as I think I had a good bevel when I initially set it with film some time back. Just to check, did the TNT, and the razor failed. So that's where my issue was.

I reset the bevel on my Chosera 1K and did the same nagura combo listed above. I got a decent HHT, but nothing really good. So I moved to my Asagi with its tomo and did several dilutions ending up on very slight slurry. Jackpot! Got my best HHT ever--no problem popping hairs at 1"+ root out, and for the first time ever for me, I was popping hairs root in--this is a big deal for me. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave to see how this HHT success correlates with a good or great shave.

So, it appears as things stand now, I can't get a great edge off my kiita with my current progression; I'll have to try some of your other suggestions. Somewhere I read it takes more 'finesse' to get a great edge from a softer stone; my kiita is definitely softer than my asagi. Your advice is getting me somewhere though--I'm learning a lot from this thread, and I hope others are as well.

I'm still working with your other recommendations; today I did a full nagura progression on the Henckels again, but I added an extra meijiro and koma slurry, still finishing on very light kiita slurry (after 3 dilutions). I did see the tomo slurry polish the bevel. HHT was only slightly better, as was the shave. Frustrated, I decided to see if other finishers I have could improve the edge: first I tried a Zulu Grey (water only) and then a small Thuringian--HHT never improved with either one. I figured the bevel was fine, as I think I had a good bevel when I initially set it with film some time back. Just to check, did the TNT, and the razor failed. So that's where my issue was.

I reset the bevel on my Chosera 1K and did the same nagura combo listed above. I got a decent HHT, but nothing really good. So I moved to my Asagi with its tomo and did several dilutions ending up on very slight slurry. Jackpot! Got my best HHT ever--no problem popping hairs at 1"+ root out, and for the first time ever for me, I was popping hairs root in--this is a big deal for me. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave to see how this HHT success correlates with a good or great shave.

So, it appears as things stand now, I can't get a great edge off my kiita with my current progression; I'll have to try some of your other suggestions. Somewhere I read it takes more 'finesse' to get a great edge from a softer stone; my kiita is definitely softer than my asagi. Your advice is getting me somewhere though--I'm learning a lot from this thread, and I hope others are as well.
Its only the beginning my man. Keep going. Use the asagi for now. The polish on the bevel with the tomo is GREAT news. That means it works great and is a good match or maybe an excellent match. Bevel issues have to be always considered as we hurry sometimes to get the finish going but theres work left at an earlier stage. Glad you picked up on it though. Keep us posted, seems like today was a breakthrough for you. Keep us posted on your shave results. BANG! Sounds like your getting there!
edit: forget the kiita jnat for a bit. stay on what your doing and NAIL it a few more times!

Last edited:

Please tell us how it felt to shave with.

I have been able to get my razor very sharp so far with a JNat, but the much touted smoothness doesn't just come along as easy as expected.

I would say it takes a few weeks at least for consistent sharpness and increasing smoothness. The key is to pay attention to subtle signs like slurry look and feel. Thats the blade and stone talking to you. WHen you nail that first perfect shave, you will need to be aware of what got you there. Then it becomes easier to replicate.

So, basically it's like using film: you have to use a couple of tricks to get the edge comfort to where you like it, right?

With my film progression I use PicoPaper underneath, and finish on a pasted hanging strop to dial in comfort to go with the sharpness.

With the JNat you dial in the amount of slurry you finish with to customize the edge feel?

Is that a fair analogy?

Yes thats exactly what it is. Getting sharp quickly is the first step. Then you work on the smoothness with the various things we spoke about here. When you think you have got a great edge, remember the progression and signs. And then you refine it further. Reusing slurry, using another blade to break it and finishing etc. The main pitfall for beginners is using too large of a slurry. So keep that in mind. Water only is an advanced step that may or may not work either. I have only a couple of the 12 I have that I can. The others maybe, just hasnt showed up yet. Or it may never.

Last edited:
No, the point I was making is that it seems that the assumption is that JNats provide this buttery smooth shave right out of the gates, and film gets criticized for bring overly harsh.

My limited experience is that a JNat can also easily deliver a harsh edge, unless you know how to futz it around a bit.

Picopaper is certainly classified as a "trick" or technique to modify the edge and feel. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everybody who uses them admits theres a learning curve. The purpose of some of these posts is to give some support until the user gets to a point where he can direct himself. And yes, you are right a jnat can certainly provide a harsh edge until the user has dialed it in to his comfort and sharpness.

Top Bottom