What's new

New DSLR on the way. Flash options?

I've got a Nikon 3100 on it's way, I'm curious what my flash options are.
I'm assuming that the pop-up flash is not much better than the one on my current L810, or is it?

I know a mounted hot-shoe unit will do much better, but I'm only able to find two options at $300+ and $500+, I was hoping to find something in the $150 range.

So backstory... Bought the 810 prior to my daughter's wedding because I wanted something that would produce better pictures than my S550.
The S550 was a huge step up from my old Sony, but battery life has always been an issue, to the point that I ended up carrying 4 batteries and still being frustrated.
Add to that, no direct USB capability... I had to remove the card and put it in a card reader... anyways, the L810 was a huge step up in many respects, especially it's use of standard AA batteries.

But... The autofocus system never seemed to be "on the ball" and I've got a LOT of "marginal" photos from it.
The icing on the cake though, was the results of a trip to Carlsbad Caverns last fall.
I've got a collection of about 80 photos that are basically worthless. A FEW are decent, and some can be blamed on camera movement, but the flash was next to worthless. One particular shot I remembered looking at the captured image on the screen and it seemed that the flash didn't throw 10ft... and I've had this impression on other shots as well.
Coupled with the lack of ease of using the flash as a foreground fill when a subject has strong backlighting, and the lack of a spot-meter.... I decided to step up a notch to a DSLR.

Back to the caverns.

When I was in Jr. High, I had a basic Minolta rangefinder and a simple box flash unit on top. Coupled with 400asa, that camera took some BEAUTIFUL shots of the caverns. The flash filled the foreground nicely, and the film picked up the ambient background lighting very well.
I don't need or want pro-level... my interests are just a step above "snapshot" level.

Any suggestions? Are the SB700 and SB910 my only options? Is the pop-up flash okay?

Try getting an SB800 if you can. Nikon ha discontinued it, but try a used model if you can. You won't regret it.

happy shooting!

regards
amit711

The SB800 is a very nice flash and well recognized and regarded by shooters. Because of this, they tend to still command a very high price that will in all likelyhood exceed your budget.
Try getting an SB800 if you can. Nikon ha discontinued it, but try a used model if you can. You won't regret it.

happy shooting!

regards
amit711

Even the SB400 which will fit your budget, if you can find one used, is excellent for most of what you will use a bounce flash for. I would do some shooting with the built in flash on your new 3100. You might be surprised that Nikon's pop up flash works pretty well. Congrats on the new camera. You will enjoy it. I am a Nikon guy.

Ronnie

Here is a list of guide numbers for the popular flashes. I think the sigma is your best choice, but you will get people saying good and bad about any of them.

-----------------------------
*Sigma EF-610 GN is 61*.
Nissin Di-866 GN is 60 (dual-head)
*Canon 580EXii GN is 58*
Metz 58AF-1 GN is 58 (dual-head)
Sigma EF-530 GN is 53
*Nikon SB-900 GN is 52*
Metz 48AF-1 GN is 48
Nissin Di-622 GN is 44
Canon 430EX GN is 43
Nikon SB-600 GN is 40

-Xander

Here is a list of guide numbers for the popular flashes. I think the sigma is your best choice, but you will get people saying good and bad about any of them.

-----------------------------
*Sigma EF-610 GN is 61*.
Nissin Di-866 GN is 60 (dual-head)
*Canon 580EXii GN is 58*
Metz 58AF-1 GN is 58 (dual-head)
Sigma EF-530 GN is 53
*Nikon SB-900 GN is 52*
Metz 48AF-1 GN is 48
Nissin Di-622 GN is 44
Canon 430EX GN is 43
Nikon SB-600 GN is 40

-Xander

Good options there, thanks. I was looking at a couple of options from Bowers from Best Buy. One in the $120 range has an LCD display like the Nikon unit, but I've never heard of the brand, and not sure what the functions of the display are.
I would imagine simply inputting the GN into the camera is all that would be needed.

Good options there, thanks. I was looking at a couple of options from Bowers from Best Buy. One in the $120 range has an LCD display like the Nikon unit, but I've never heard of the brand, and not sure what the functions of the display are.
I would imagine simply inputting the GN into the camera is all that would be needed.

If you get something other than a Nikon make sure that it will couple with the Nikon metering system otherwise you will be using guide numbers and calculating your aperture and exposure time

I have a SB600 and a SB800 and they both work very well. The SB800 has some more features, but it does command a higher price as mentioned above.

There are also several light modifiers you can attach to shoe mounted flash to help defuse the light.

:w00t: :w00t: Sweet!

You've seen my pipe/razor shots and the problems that I've had (without a light box makes it even worse).
I either get horrible color balance, or shadows galore.

$coti3.jpg$coti2.jpg$coti1-s.jpg

I have the D3100 and the SB-400. I was able to pick up a refurbished 400 for under $100. Has been working great for my purposes.

Pop up will give you red eye for longer distance and the harsh typical flash look. I agree with others above on the SB-600 or SB-800. The 800 is a real workhorse will have a bounce card, more power and the ability to control other flashes for multi flash setups. The 600 just standard flash at a good value. The new SB-700 is really nice with a higher price tag but nice snap on gels and a quick flip button opposed to the 600 and 800 slower menu driven system.

:w00t: :w00t: Sweet!

You've seen my pipe/razor shots and the problems that I've had (without a light box makes it even worse).
I either get horrible color balance, or shadows galore.

I've never used one of the Gary Fong modifiers but I have read a lot of what people say and everyone is happy with the results it provides.

I have an old SB 50 DX strobe that I have shoved on the shoe maybe 2 or 3 times in the past few years. Also have a Norman 200b set up that I used for wedding and location shooting when I was in the biz. I've got some handle mounted reflectasol "brollies" that are probably older than you are :001_smile

Most of my strobe work is in studio now with 1500 and 6000 WS units inside 4 foot hard boxes with defusers.

*Sigma EF-610 GN is 61*.

Curious the difference on the two 610 models.
610 DG Super and 610 DG ST.
$225 vs $135.
Both run a 7 second recharge time, 5 with rechargeable batteries. Both have a GN of 61 (surprised such an affordable unit is so hot).

Rich,
People don't really seem to mention them, but the Yongnuo units are something you might want to at least have a look at, especially if you're looking in the sub-$150 range. They're Chinese knock offs but they're actually pretty darn good performers. I use their most basic 560 model (all manual, no TTL compatibilty) and I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting. They offer models with TTL compatibility and other additional features if you're looking for more ease of use. Amazon and ebay are the places I'd check to get an idea of what pricing will be for the particular feature set you're looking for.

Normally, I'd use this opportunity to plug my flickr :p but I use the flash exclusively for macro photography, so the results probably won't be very helpful to you...

I hope you find something that works for you!

Best,
Scott

Last edited:
I've never used one of the Gary Fong modifiers but I have read a lot of what people say and everyone is happy with the results it provides.

His example shots are impressive, and Best Buy sells the entire collapsible kit for under $90, including the white, amber, and chrome domes.

I have an old SB 50 DX strobe that I have shoved on the shoe maybe 2 or 3 times in the past few years. Also have a Norman 200b set up that I used for wedding and location shooting when I was in the biz. I've got some handle mounted reflectasol "brollies" that are probably older than you are :001_smile

Most of my strobe work is in studio now with 1500 and 6000 WS units inside 4 foot hard boxes with defusers.
I use one of his modifiers all the time (collapsible dome diffuser).
I find it makes a nice difference in that it takes the harshness edge off.
I think I paid about $50 - I don't have the different colors though. That can be done in post processing if desired.

What kind of studio work do you now shoot? I used Broncolor gear for years before switching to Profoto, got a deal on a some packs and heads that was too good to pass up.

All I do is table top shots now.

I mainly use a hazylight powered by a 6000 joules Primo 8 as a main and a rondolight on a 3200 joules Opus 4 pack for side fill. Various side, highlight, and fill lights with fine grids and other modifiers.

I've used broncolor since the way back years of the robins egg blue guys :001_smile I've upgraded over the years and now have mostly Opus with a few Primo packs. I doubt that I will get anything newer than what I have now as I don't do that much studio work any more. Mostly shots for the wife's business is all I do any more.

Here is an old pic of my first set of Broncolor power packs from the 80's Bet you haven't seen any of theses in a while

proxy.php

Top Bottom