What's new

Workbench Custom Razors for the new year 2011

What type of steel is it ?1900 degrees F is really hot for carbon steel?
I used CPM-154 on this axe. It's a stainless with properties that are close to ATS-34

Thanks, once again for being here fellas. Even if you subtract the individual views between me and Bob :laugh:, there was still an awful lot of attention directed to this thread. Between those views and the great comments made by many of you, it made my efforts to keep everyone in the loop worth while.

I have a rifle to engrave for a friend, and then I'll get back to this thread for those other three razors. Stay tuned...

Might as well put in the work on the rifle here rather than starting a new thread.

A lot of hours invested so far. The last pic shows the background of the forward design dug out. The entire design is freehand. Squiggles and variations of the curvatures are corrected as the design is cut with the handpiece. The handpiece, btw, is the AirTack model that Glendo makes. Pressure of the palm of your hand against the butt of the handpiece activates it. The harder you push the faster it goes. It has some nice giddy-up.

View attachment 160623

View attachment 160624

View attachment 160625

View attachment 160626

Might as well put in the work on the rifle here rather than starting a new thread.

A lot of hours invested so far. The last pic shows the background of the forward design dug out. The entire design is freehand. Squiggles and variations of the curvatures are corrected as the design is cut with the handpiece. The handpiece, btw, is the AirTack model that Glendo makes. Pressure of the palm of your hand against the butt of the handpiece activates it. The harder you push the faster it goes. It has some nice giddy-up.

View attachment 160623

View attachment 160624

View attachment 160625

View attachment 160626

OH WOW! Nice!!

That axe is a masterpiece! And you will not be able to wipe the grin off of that rifle owners face, Wow. :thumbup:

How did you hone the axe?

Put the initial bevel on by eye at my Burr King grinder. Then I put a layer of electrical tape along the top edge of the hollow grind and started using my DMT diamond hones to get things really close. I refreshed the tape and used my 4,000 Norton, 8,000 Norton, followed by a few laps on a yellow coticle. (how ever you spell it) Then I put a second layer of tape on and fine tuned the edge on lapping film affixed to glass and magnetic base. Point 3 micron, if I remember correctly. Then it was off to a balsa paddle that has a magnetic base to "stick" to my metal work surface which I inlaid into the workbench. It is impregnated with .50 micron diamond spray. Then a few rounds on the same style paddle strop with leather and .25 diamond spray.

Done...

Put the initial bevel on by eye at my Burr King grinder. Then I put a layer of electrical tape along the top edge of the hollow grind and started using my DMT diamond hones to get things really close. I refreshed the tape and used my 4,000 Norton, 8,000 Norton, followed by a few laps on a yellow coticle. (how ever you spell it) Then I put a second layer of tape on and fine tuned the edge on lapping film affixed to glass and magnetic base. Point 3 micron, if I remember correctly. Then it was off to a balsa paddle that has a magnetic base to "stick" to my metal work surface which I inlaid into the workbench. It is impregnated with .50 micron diamond spray. Then a few rounds on the same style paddle strop with leather and .25 diamond spray.

Done...
It will certainly be able to give the owner a damn close shave then :thumbup:

That Rifle looks really nice Bill.. your scroll work just seems to get better and better. You are gonna give me a new AD. :lol:

Top Bottom