SOTD - December 28, 2009 through January 3, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Toggle / Crystal IP
C.M. No. 1 badger (re-branded Rooney?)
QED Badger and Blade SS
Clubman Special Reserve After Shave Cologne​

first shave with this Toggle from WhosYerBob (thanks, Mitch! - thanks, B&B) - and the first shave in awhile with the QED B&B - what a great soap... and it pairs perfectly (to my geezish schnozz) with the Special Reserve. Maybe a mist or too (mistertwo?) of Caron Yatagan after.

todays shave was bloody... I have a mole on my chin and I cut it off again, need to get me some WH. I tried a trick somebody mentioned in the chat; spraying some cologne on the soap before I lather. It worked a bit but by the time it was on my face I could't smell it anymore. Anyhow still suffering from some minor irritation under my chin. Lather was very moist today and I finally made enough to do 3 passes. I about burnt my hand on the tap water during that little endeavor. Wish I had a scuttle.

hot shower
'65 Super Speed/Walgreens Personna
VDH Delux + Hollister So Cal/VDH Boar
3 pass (WTG,XTG,ATG)
Nivea Post-Shave Balm: Replenish and Sensitive

03-01-10

Soap from Alep in the shower - "Kim España" brush #2º use - Vintage Merkur Slant Bar #3º use - Feather #3º use - Pre Proraso (not in the pic) - Alum block - TABAC - ASB Floïd - ASL Floïd Azul from Spain
proxy.php

The "Kim España" brush after a first touch of TABAC.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Sunday, January 3, 2010, sometime in the AM:

êShave Pre-Shave Lavender Oil : Bronnley Body Care Shaving Cream : êShave Fine Badger Brush with Transparent Lavender Handle : Thiers-Issard Le Grelot 6/8 in Red Stamina Scales : Nivea Post Shave Balm (Sensitive Skin)

proxy.php

A really lovely, soothing shave. A few times I reached the point where I felt the blade was just "wiping the whiskers off," a phrase IIRC another new-comer to straights used here recently. It's an under-appreciated, not-much-commented upon ability of straights to provide not just the closest shaves, but also the most comfortable and gentlest of shaves. Then again, you have to acquire the technique for them to give that up to you....

Picture made in Amsterdam The Netherlands.
View attachment 81892
HARDWARE:
Merkur 42 Safety Razor (1904 Replica).
Feather New Hi-Stainless (Ninja Sharp) DE Blade.
Simpson Emperor 2 (Super Badger Hair/2 band) knot = 19mm Loft = 48 mm.

SOFTWARE:
Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Pre-shave Oil.
Van Der Hagen (TX.USA) Shaving Soap with Aloe Vera & Shea Butter.
ST. Johns West Indian Lime After Shave (splash) In Woven Bottle.
ST. Johns West Indian Lime After Shave Balm In Woven Bottle.
+
ST. Johns West Indian Lime Cologne (splash) In Woven Bottle.

Have a nice day !
Eelco

Picture made in Amsterdam The Netherlands.
View attachment 81892
HARDWARE:
Merkur 42 Safety Razor (1904 Replica).
Feather New Hi-Stainless (Ninja Sharp) DE Blade.
Simpson Emperor 2 (Super Badger Hair/2 band) knot = 19mm Loft = 48 mm.

SOFTWARE:
Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Pre-shave Oil.
Van Der Hagen (TX.USA) Shaving Soap with Aloe Vera & Shea Butter.
ST. Johns West Indian Lime After Shave (splash) In Woven Bottle.
ST. Johns West Indian Lime After Shave Balm In Woven Bottle.
+
ST. Johns West Indian Lime Cologne (splash) In Woven Bottle.

Have a nice day !
Eelco

You are home! ...and a very nice shave, indeed.

Jon

Good day Sunday

Muhle R89 with Derby blade
Rooney 3/1 super
Cella shave soap
J&J Purpose lotion
Speick cologne

I've grown to enjoy this Speick cologne. It's not something I thought I'd like and is nothing special or unique but it does manage to wear really well on me. Go figure.

Nice photos, as always, Gentlemen!

Rob is obviously taking a rosy outlook for the New Year.
Jon -- glad you like your new toggle!
Eelco -- you must be glad to be home from Orlando and back with your complete collection of St. John's!! :wink:

This is my late Sunday morning shave:

proxy.php

Moss Scuttle
Afzelia Burl Handle (CooncatBob), sporting the comb from an old Muhle R89 and a Merkur cap
7 O'Clock Yellow
Plisson #12 EW
CADE SS
CADE AS Splash
CADE ASB
Thayer's astringent WH w/ Aloe Vera

This was an astonishingly good shave. It should be no surprise that the CADE and the Plisson play so nicely together, but the "Frankenrazor" really worked well. The old style Muhle R89 was simply too aggressive, and too inconsistent -- it took a lot of effort and attention to get the blade centered. In a different thread, Luc showed me that the new heads solved the problem with a slightly different configuration to the cap, more like a Merkur. I happened to have an extra Merkur head around, I tried it, and it worked!! It won't fit the original Muhle handle, but it fits the CooncatBob Afzelia burl perfectly. Most importantly, I got a great shave today. The monster has been tamed!! :w00t:

Now I have to figure out what to call it. Perhaps "Thrunobulax" would work?

Learning to Straight...

Unnamed straight, WTG pass
E4 Fatboy on 5, ATG pass
T&H 1805 Cream
Pure Badger brush
Pinaud Classic Vanilla AS
Homemade Skin Balm

(Zen Moment: Striving for BBS is likely to lead to frustration. Pay attention to technique, and enjoy practicing. In that, there is fulfillment. Sometimes BBS will come to you. If it doesn't, at least you enjoyed practicing.)

Sunday

Schick 500 Injector / Schick Plus Platinum Injector blade / Kent BK4 / Kent shaving soap / Publix WH / Tüff Herb after shave

The Tüff Herb seems to be complimentary to the scent of Kent/MWF.

Ogallala Bay Rum, Sage & Cedar | Penworks | Bull Mastiff | CO Bigelow No. 1401 Bay Rum ASB | Terre D'Hermes EdT

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom