What's new

4.8 earthquake here

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Wife and I were getting gas at Costco and suddenly my car was shaken like crazy. First I thought some guy was making a joke and jumped onto the bumper and was moving my car. We also had strong winds, but the bushes next to me were still. Told my wife "we just had an earthquake", she said "yeah, right, ha-ha". It was actually one with a magnitude of 4.8 with an epicenter in Lebanon, NJ, close to where my horse is boarded and not very far from us. Really a weird feeling sitting in the car and it moves and you have no clue why.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I've only felt a ~5 when I was living in Ontario (Canada, not Calif.). The "scary" part was that it was on NYE Y2K :D

Missed the 2018(?) earthquake in CDMX by 15 min. Plane took off for Torreon just before.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Wife and I were getting gas at Costco and suddenly my car was shaken like crazy. First I thought some guy was making a joke and jumped onto the bumper and was moving my car. We also had strong winds, but the bushes next to me were still. Told my wife "we just had an earthquake", she said "yeah, right, ha-ha". It was actually one with a magnitude of 4.8 with an epicenter in Lebanon, NJ, close to where my horse is boarded and not very far from us. Really a weird feeling sitting in the car and it moves and you have no clue why.

Well, whatever grade you bought is now well mixed.

We felt and more heard it here. And there are reports out of NYC of banging pots and pans.

Earthquakes in the East are not uncommon. But most of them are so slight that most hardly notice them.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rudy:
1712335546356.png
...glad you & the Mrs. are OK...btw in 2011 while we were living in Fredericksburg, VA there was a 'mild' 5.8 magnitude earthquake about 90 miles from DC. :blink:

I remember the Mrs. and I being OK with no damage, but it was a wild 30 seconds under one's feet. First, we heard a loud 'boom' (kind of reminded me of 105 howitzer going off and the earthquake that happened when I was deployed to Gnjilane, Kosovo in 2002), and then our house and windows started to shake.

I admit...we were very nervous and went outside to see if our neighbors were OK and check for any structural damage to our house & check the gas lines. I think later on at or around 9:30pm, we felt a 'mild' aftershock. :thumbsup:

1712335442991.gif
"Earthquakes traveling through the interior of the globe are like so many messengers sent out to explore a new land. [...]". Reginald Daly

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
Isn’t it odd that this NY earth tremor made the global news while the 7.2 magnitude quake in Taiwan this week was barely reported at all? And a 7.2 quake is 4,000 times stronger than a 4.8 quake. It must say something about the ways we consume news.

Not implying any criticism of anybody, and I hope everyone knows that. It’s just a perspective that I wanted to point out.

I’m in north jersey and at about 10:20am this morning I noticed that everything was shaking like I was sitting on a amusement park ride or a bumpy train. I thought my washing machine which was on was about to blow up. I then noticed the chandelier shaking followed by the town emergency siren blaring realizing that this must be an earthquake, my mind is racing on how to keep my family safe. The shaking stopped after about some seconds but it was very scary in that moment. I thank my Lord Almighty that this was it.

Glad all is well after that!

I was on the top floor of a ~25-30-story building in Nagoya, Japan for a pretty big earthquake once. The buildings there are well-designed to handle all but the biggest ones. Still, we were swaying pretty substantially and there was nowhere to go until it was over. About half of the locals screamed and the other half went about their normal business.

That was a pretty good one for this area, lasting 20 seconds or so, but it was centered roughly 20 miles away. Our walls shook, but nothing fell from a shelf, pictures hanging on the wall weren't askew, and it didn't even set off car alarms in the parking lot. A guy across the way loading his SUV said he thought it was just strong wind from the storms this week rocking his car. Our daughter a few miles away said her cats freaked out and were hiding somewhere. Her husband working from home checked their duplex for damaged but found none. They're in a flood zone, so the 3.5" of rain this week was a bigger concern.

Some expert from NYC said this area can expect a 5.0 earthquake every 100 years, and didn't expect any structural damage from this 4.7. The last earthquake I remember was around 12 years ago but it was centered further away and not as strong or long lasting. Best joke at that time was a picture of an outside table and lawn chairs, with one chair on its side and the caption "Oh, the humanity."

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Rudy:
View attachment 1824190...glad you & the Mrs. are OK...btw in 2011 while we were living in Fredericksburg, VA there was a 'mild' 5.8 magnitude earthquake about 90 miles from DC. :blink:

I remember the Mrs. and I being OK with no damage, but it was a wild 30 seconds under one's feet. First, we heard a loud 'boom' (kind of reminded me of 105 howitzer going off and the earthquake that happened when I was deployed to Gnjilane, Kosovo in 2002), and then our house and windows started to shake.

I admit...we were very nervous and went outside to see if our neighbors were OK and check for any structural damage to our house & check the gas lines. I think later on at or around 9:30pm, we felt a 'mild' aftershock. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1824189"Earthquakes traveling through the interior of the globe are like so many messengers sent out to explore a new land. [...]". Reginald Daly
I remember this quake, too. I was in my company's lab and training customers on a procedure and the bottom shook, I was feeling quite odd, as I had just been out for a week and a half before this happened with Vertigo. So I held on to the lab bench, and thought i might fall down, but looking up I saw the lights swing and everyone had a weird look on their faces, so it was a quake. Might have been May 2011. One of my colleagues living in VA send me a pictures showing his garden table and chairs that had fallen over.
BTW, my very first trip to the USA brought me to Fredericksburg, VA!!

Top Bottom