What's new

What TV Series from Your Childhood do you remember?

Legion

Staff member
I’ve watched most of the shows mentioned that were on in the States. The older ones when I was young….. the less than ancient ones with our sons as they were growing up.

I might have missed it but I didn’t see Highlander: The Series mentioned. It was my favorite show when I was in my late twenties but I tried watching a few episodes a couple of years ago now. It’s now ummmmmmmm, almost unwatchable for me. I thought the acting was much better than it seems now.
My kid has discovered Alf on youtube and has been watching episodes. I enjoyed it in the 80's when it came out, but man, watching it now, that show is diabolical.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I wonder if that was a Canadian tradition. Born in 73, so it was before my time, but I also walked home from school in Toronto to the military base we lived in and watched Leave it to Beaver. Still one of my all time favorite episodes of any show, when Wally gave him a haircut.

Other standouts: The Mighty Hercules (animated), Land of the Lost, The Fugitive, The Incredible Hulk. Lots of cartoons, Tom & Jerry.
I was living in TO when I watched it too, CityTV, channel 57 :)

Gilligans island and Flintstones.
My favorite tv show was weekly broadcast of old monster movies called creature feature. It had a spooky phantom of the opera type guy with eerie music and played movies like wolfman, dracula a frankenstein. It was very scary when I was a kid lol
edit also loved banana splits and the monkeys

Tales from The Riverbank was originally a Canadian idea I believe. The early ones were lyrical and often very moving now I re-watch them. A bit like the sublime chapter The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn from The Wind In The Willows. I can never read that chapter without choking up a bit even at the age of 62.

Narrated by the wonderful Johnny Morris who also hosted Animal Magic.
Tales of the Riverbank was filmed here on the Isle of Wight…better known perhaps for its legendary music festivals, particularly the 1970 one.
I remember going for dinner one evening around the late 80’s and the hosts were involved in making the series. They still had GP’s aeroplane.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used to love shows like:
Sea Hunt.
Broken Arrow.
The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin.
Squiddley Diddley. (Cartoon)
F Troop.
Daniel Boone.
The Saint.
The Pretenders.
Dusty’s Trail.
Gilligan‘s Island.
HR Puffnstuff.
Captain America. (Cartoon)
The Hillbilly Bears. (Cartoon)
The Incredible Hulk. (Cartoon).
Speed Racer. (Cartoon)
Superman with George Reeves.
Casey Jones.
Banana Splits.
The Adventure of QT Hush (Cartoon)

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Green Hornet
Time Tunnel
Looney Toons
3 Stooges
The Midnight Special (mid to late teens)
Star Trek
Combat
Rat Patrol
Petticoat Junction
Batman
Daniel Boone
6 Million Dollar Man
Get Smart
The Prisoner
The Mod Squad
The Brady Bunch (I had it bad for Marsha)
The Partridge Family
Creature Feature

Legion

Staff member
I used to love shows like:
Sea Hunt.
Broken Arrow.
The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin.
Squiddley Diddley. (Cartoon)
F Troop.
Daniel Boone.
The Saint.
The Pretenders.
Dusty’s Trail.
Gilligan‘s Island.
HR Puffnstuff.
Captain America. (Cartoon)
The Hillbilly Bears. (Cartoon)
The Incredible Hulk. (Cartoon).
Speed Racer. (Cartoon)
Superman with George Reeves.
Casey Jones.
Banana Splits.
The Adventure of QT Hush (Cartoon)
I always (and still do) wanted one of those Banana splits dune buggy cars. They were the best.

Legion

Staff member
When I was a kid, and the TV on the ABC was running early they would always fill with this clip. It always kind of freaked me out a bit, but in recent years I realised it was Dio singing, so now I like it.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I always (and still do) wanted one of those Banana splits dune buggy cars. They were the best.
When watching the Banana Splits I always most enjoyed the filler cartoon Arabian Knights. It had Zazuum the donkey, if you pulled his tail he span like a tornado, and the magician Fariik who started each of his spells with the words "Rosan Kobar..."

1704799437840.png

Boots and Saddles
The Cabin In The Clearing
The Cisco Kid
Davy Crockett
The Lone Ranger
Popeye
Robin Hood
William Tell
Wagon Train
Rawhide
Steptoe and Son
The Old Curiosity Shop (Patrick Troughton was brilliant as Quilp)
Doctor Who.

I might have missed it but I didn’t see Highlander: The Series mentioned. It was my favorite show when I was in my late twenties but I tried watching a few episodes a couple of years ago now. It’s now ummmmmmmm, almost unwatchable for me. I thought the acting was much better than it seems now.
I watched it when I was able, but missed the vast majority of the show. Several years back my wife and I decided to watch it. We got a few seasons in and finally stopped watching because it got too repetitive. Me and my wife will still say to each other "Sorry Charlie" from a particularly badly acted scene.

I may have missed the mentions... my apologies if I did - but what about those locally produced TV shows like Howdy Doody? I was very fortunate growing up in the Twin Cities, because the local stations put A LOT of effort into programming for kids. These shows were hosted by local TV or radio personalities who would adopt a persona and host a show with guests and cartoons. Axel's Treehouse, Lunch with Casey Jones, Carmen the Nurse, Clancy the Cop & Willy Ketchum, Roundhouse Rodney; all very memorable characters who often showed up at parades and promotional events, and the kids flocked to them.

Honestly, for me you could have titled this thread "what TV series from your childhood do you still watch," and it'd be relevant. My broadcast TV is almost permanently tuned to Me TV, Antenna TV, Catchy, H&I... all stations that regularly run almost all the shows mentioned in this thread. Current television shows are unwatchable for me. I hope all of you folks made it through the heartbreaking and devastating Hollywood writers and actors strike that was recently resolved; I didn't lose a bit of sleep. :001_cool:

what about those locally produced TV shows like Howdy Doody? I was very fortunate growing up in the Twin Cities, because the local stations put A LOT of effort into programming for kids. These shows were hosted by local TV or radio personalities who would adopt a persona and host a show with guests and cartoons.
Aha! You just reawakened a memory: Any childhood fans of Wonderama? I watched during the Bob McAllister years. ". . . Kids are people too wakka doo wakka doo wakka doo . . ."

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I may have missed the mentions... my apologies if I did - but what about those locally produced TV shows like Howdy Doody? I was very fortunate growing up in the Twin Cities, because the local stations put A LOT of effort into programming for kids. These shows were hosted by local TV or radio personalities who would adopt a persona and host a show with guests and cartoons. Axel's Treehouse, Lunch with Casey Jones, Carmen the Nurse, Clancy the Cop & Willy Ketchum, Roundhouse Rodney; all very memorable characters who often showed up at parades and promotional events, and the kids flocked to them.

Honestly, for me you could have titled this thread "what TV series from your childhood do you still watch," and it'd be relevant. My broadcast TV is almost permanently tuned to Me TV, Antenna TV, Catchy, H&I... all stations that regularly run almost all the shows mentioned in this thread. Current television shows are unwatchable for me. I hope all of you folks made it through the heartbreaking and devastating Hollywood writers and actors strike that was recently resolved; I didn't lose a bit of sleep. :001_cool:

Growing up in the South Chicago Burbs, we had WGN TV which had some great local programming. Every morning was Ray Rayner and Friends and Garfield Goose, mid-day was Bozo's Circus, and on weekends was Family Classics with Frasier Thomas.

Top Bottom